Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Whiteboy

Ls jolla 8/15

So after yesterday I had to go today. Took two friends who have never taken kayaks out in ocean. Surf launch sucked. But they managed made bait then headed out to yellowtail waters. Within 15 min I was on. My buddy got one while I was fighting mine and my third buddy hooked up minutes later. Couldn't believe. 3 yakers 3 fish before 8am. We trolled a bit more then went back for more bait. We hit grounds again and within 10 min I was on again. Unfortunately I was on my friends yak (not made for open ocean or anything close) and couldn't get the nose of yak turned towards fish. Then the bs happened. I was pulled over. A couple miles off shore sharks all over la jolla and I'm swimming with my rod in hand and the fish still on. Crazy. I flipped yak back over scrambled in it. Crazy. Buddy came over took pole so I could bail out the sit in yak I was on. I bailed water then caught my fish. While we were sitting my buddies line was still in waste somewhere getting all tangled in everything then of course his reel starts screaming. I knew exactly what it was another yellowtail. After that my yak was to unstable to fish out of so we called it a day. On way in we saw a pod of dolphin coming our way. I looked down and saw a few big streaks hauling ass. They were not yellowtail unless there is schools of 50lb plus yellowtail running inside the preserve. It was a school of yellowfin I believe but could of been blues. All in all 5 fish 3 guys 1.5 hours of trolling back on shore cleaning fish by 11am. Yet another amazing day. We left them biting again and I was happy to do it today.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

What a story. What type of sit in were you in?
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
King Saba

Wow. Glad you're safe. 5 fish in 1.5hrs sounds like good stuff to me.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
Whiteboy

1.5 hours of trolling. 4.5 hours of paddling bait catching and more paddling. I was in a sit in dagger that was missing rudder. Not the best idea but long story short it's all I had. My buddy is to new and couldn't even row it so we switched yaks. That was a pita. I gave him my xfactor and I took the pos. All I had on it was one pole and a life jacket. I knew I was going to flip it was really unstable. I got one in and flipped on second. But still got him in.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
1.5 hours of trolling. 4.5 hours of paddling bait catching and more paddling. I was in a sit in dagger that was missing rudder. Not the best idea but long story short it's all I had. My buddy is to new and couldn't even row it so we switched yaks. That was a pita. I gave him my xfactor and I took the pos. All I had on it was one pole and a life jacket. I knew I was going to flip it was really unstable. I got one in and flipped on second. But still got him in.
Read the time part wrong. My bad.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Whiteboy

No worries I was just clarifying. Good luck out there.