Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #21
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
3 yellows gutted them out in kelp beds.Hammer head followed me all the way into waste deep water smack it in the head 3 times with my sail paddle woman swimming is rescued by la jolla kayak rental after it circled her and came back to me
Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #22
Chuck D

Hardcore brah...yaksharktamer of the the jewel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
Nice getting launched into air. Sounds like a ride. You didn't mention anything about getting bit so that's good. If your worried about sharks then avoid the ocean. No sharks in our lakes. Me I'm a dumb ass that doesn't let anything scare him. If it does I go back for more. Adrenaline junkie. I have chased a great white and a couple hammers. They all ran away . But before I started chasing them they followed. And second off how many hours per day does this website have a person off it on the water. I'd say everyday there's a lot of people on water from here. That means since this website was created the hundreds of thousands of hours on the water by people off here and only one time did someone have a truly bad encounter with a shark? I'd say that was a fluke and the odds are better of hitting lotto twice in a row than getting attacked. Not to say you couldnt prevoke a bite if you wanted. I had a yellowtail head I was trying to get the white to come over and take. He wouldn't. Maybe next time I will get to hand feed him and try to catch him by hand. Tickle the nose and turn them over. Tonic immobilization will keep them calm. They do this all over the world to research sharks. It works and I'm going to post on here soon I hand fed and caught a big shark. That's on my bucket list. Not catching a tuna that's not scary at all stay safe and never run from a predator that will cause them to chase. It's instincts to them to chase something running and not in their instincts to fight with something that isn't afraid of them.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #23
Whiteboy

Did not know you couldnt hook them but knew you can't catch and keep them. I'd much rather get a shark I can eat mako or thresher but seeing that white shark was awesome. He was smarter than I thought he would be. Wouldn't take a fresh yt head. Bloody or not. Is it legal to catch and release hammerheads?
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
Did not know you couldnt hook them but knew you can't catch and keep them. I'd much rather get a shark I can eat mako or thresher but seeing that white shark was awesome. He was smarter than I thought he would be. Wouldn't take a fresh yt head. Bloody or not. Is it legal to catch and release hammerheads?
Yes it's legal but I have no idea why someone would target them.

I've seen BIG things in Carlsbad and bet they were white sharks. I don't post about them unless I positively identified them. Hammerheads are everywhere right now. I had one rub on my kayak a couple of times yesterday in Lj. If you haven't seen a Hammerhead this summer then you're not fishing enough.
I posted about my very close encounter with a 13 foot GW last year.
If it was any closer to me I'd be in its belly. Scary.... YES! Awesome... YES! , once it swam away and I caught my breath LOL.
I feel truly lucky to see such creatures in their natural habitat. Most people will never see or encounter what we see.
As for big sharks in Carlsbad and LJ..... I'm more worried about the ones in Carlsbad. There isn't the abundance of seals here that there are LJ. Because of this I believe that the sharks in Lj can be more picky about what the decide to bite on. I wouldnt be surprised if a shark gets overly aggressive with a kayak in Carlsbad before it does in Lj.
One thing is for sure, I'd NEVER swim in Lj from the cove to the pier like they do. I think they are just testing fate or are just plain stupid.