Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

hook Em & Cook Em June Submissions

Hook Em and Cook Em June Submissions

Post em here. Must have 1 photo showing what you harvested, also must show at least a part of your kayak. Second photo is what you prepared. Aside from the 2 required photos you can add whatever you want, video, recipe, story behind the catch or the dish. These have to be current to the month of May.

This goes through the end of the last day of June and voting will follow from July 1-3. Winner will be announced July 3rd at 10PM.You can only win this contest one time, but within the month you can submit as many times as you like. Raise the bar, then raise it again!

Last edited by Iceman; 07-01-2014 at 07:43 AM.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
T-Rex

Okay I'll get the ball rolling for June. I normally don't fish for barracuda, but for a change of pace decided to drive up north to the NCZ to fish with a few of the guys up there - Anacapa Bob, Autrout and Falcon.

Long drive and then a long paddle -- about 2 miles out to get to the fishing grounds and then trolling rapalas for hungry cuda.

8 serving size fillets per fish. Making sure all the red meat is gone and then cutting the fillets into bite size nuggets.

Breaded in cornmeal, ritz crackers and spices and then quickly fried. The end result was pretty tasty. My wife said she liked it better than halibut!
Washed down with some Ballast Point Black Marlin porter.

Last edited by T-Rex; 06-08-2014 at 03:29 PM.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

nice big stove pipes Rex!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Nice work! That photo of the meat is exactly why I love Cuda'. If you take care of it properly, straight up awesome eats!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
T-Rex

Working my way through the cuda in the fridge. Tonight we tried broiled barracuda on glass noodle veggie stir fry with spicy yellow pepper sauce. It was unbelievably good.

The spicy yellow pepper sauce would go great with yellowtail so I thought I'd share the recipe...

2 yellow bell peppers charred, seeded and chopped
2 yellow chili peppers charred, seeded and chopped
7 roasted garlic cloves
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon tumeric
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
throw it in a blender and blend until smooth
Old 06-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
ctfphoto

Old Fashioned Lakeside BBQ Fish (Yellowtail)

Friday June 13th Full Moon. Perfect day at the Jewel. Caught my Personal Best Yellowtail at 33 pounds on a greenback at 10:30 am.

I decided to give away most of the fish to family and friends. In return, two of the recipients of my recent catch gave back recipes that I tried and will try. Here is the first of the two:

One thing I want to say about this recipe is it is for almost anyone, that is, it doesn't taste like fish. Even for fish eaters, you don't get that I'm tired of fish right now feeling even while eating an great fish recipe. The dish looks like BBQ ribs.

This recipe comes from Lakeside, ya know horses and cows. They like their Beef and BBQ and this is one awesome BBQ Fish Recipe. This very simple but super delicious recipe has been handed down through 4 generations of Laksidians.

Old Fashioned Lakeside BBQ Fish (Yellowtail)

Fresh Yellowtail fillet
Vine Ripe Tomatoes
White Onion
BBQ Sauce

I tried to addd more ingredients such as Lime and cilantro but my wife refused as it was her friend's family recipe. She finally agreed to salt and pepper, but I forgot it anyway, lol

Cut the fillet and stuff with white onions and tomatoes

Cover but don't drench the fillet
with your favorite BBQ sauce

Fire up the grill preferable with smoke chips
Cook in a foil boat, no need to flip.

Ready when flaky.

Sure this ain't no bbq ribs? ...

That's my wife's hand in the above dish. I couldn't even get a good photo of the food by itself as she nor I could stop eating this wonderfully smokey bbq flavored fish. It never made it to a plate, we just ate it all right there on the counter.

That's not a bone, it's a white onion.

Add Ice Cold Beer ....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I always cut every last scrap off the fish and smoke it. I have been experimenting with different sauces to bring variety to my cooking. Here are two new ones, both of which, taste fantastic:

Smoked Yellowtail topped with Apricot Jelly and Fresh (slightly cooked) Blueberries in Sauce

Spread Apricot Jelly on Freshly Smoked Yellowtail

Cook and mash a few Blue Berries with Lime juice and Sugar and a little corn starch. Cook in microwave and stir. And some berries and microwave longer and then stir. And more berries microwave until warm. Stir. Pour over Apricot covered Freshly Smoked Yellowtail.

………………………...

Smoked Yellowtail topped with Cilantro, Lime, Avocado Sauce

This is not guacamole as the flavor is more lime cilantroish.

Chop up a fair amount of cilantro and add to lime juice. Add a small amount of avocado and a dab of mayo and smash / mix up. Top Freshly Smoked Yellowtail. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

Tight Lines, Chris

Last edited by ctfphoto; 06-18-2014 at 05:25 PM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
FISH11

Hey Chris I see you still have the hot streak. Super nice fish and the pictures are really making me hungry. I lost one provably close to that size yesterday (Teusday) because I didn't have a way to retreive my flyline mac while getting hit on the YO YO Iron. Took me for a ride and tangled up my lines after 15 minutes while trying to move the tangled braid from the end of the pole his head shakes threw the Iron ( should have cut the second line). Hopefully soon I can joing your posts. Tight Lines, Mark
Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
ctfphoto

Mark, thank you. Sorry to hear your fishing horror story, I feel for you, it's just part of time on the water.

Sometimes one pole works a lot better than two. That said, I do use two sometimes. Sometimes they get tangled.

You will get yours very soon, this already is an awesome year for fishing.
When you do, try this BBQ recipe, it's awesome. I really want someone to try it and report back in before the end of the month.

See you out there. I be trying again at daybreak.

Last edited by ctfphoto; 06-18-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
dmrides

ctfphoto, as always you come up with some very innovative and delicious looking dishes. I almost don't want to vote for you for fear that if you win, you might stop posting your recipes!

Nice catch and great work in the kitchen. Thanks for taking the time to share your creations.

Sweet looking gyotaku as well.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
kayakfisherman

Chris,

The smoked yellowtail with jelly and berry sauce looks insane.
Especially since I know that smoked yellowtail and a sweet
glaze pair so well together.

But the BBQ yellow with onions and tomatoes??? I got to try
that one.

I had a blast running into you and Mikey on the water yesterday.
Should be a great summer. Yani
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
ctfphoto

Pan Fried Sand Dab

dmrides, thank you for your comments, if I ever win this thing, I promise to post more recipes as I do enjoy it.

Yani, I had a awesome time fishing with you and Mikey, both of whom have already won this awesome contest. I learned quite a bit from you and I thank you for putting me on and giving me the opportunity to farm a large Lingcod ......

I also thank you for the tip on cooking and how tasty the the Sand Dabs are.

Sand Dab dipped in salted and peppered flour and then cooked in Olive Oil, Butter, White Onions and a Tomato

Remember to flip over for more super tasty meat .... There is way more meat that I expected.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
ctfphoto

Fish Sandwich

Fished on June 19th with Yani and Mickey. No YT around so we went deep .....

Fish Sandwich

Fresh Rockfish Boneless Fillet
Tomato
Lettuce
Caramelized White Onion
Tarter Sauce
Fresh Roll

Prepare Tarter Sauce first and set aside to let the flavors infuse.

Mix together:

Mayonaise
Dill
Lime Juice
Relish, (I use a homemade zucchini relish made by the lady who gave me the BBQ recipe)
Ground Pepper
Rice Vinegar
Sour Cream

Heat oil to a high temperature
Prepare Fillet

I use a beer batter recipe that I have been working on for thirty years, I think I finally got it perfect.

Mix together Flour, Salt, Pepper, a little Garlic Powder, Dried Dill, Cayenne Pepper and pinch of Baking Powder

Separate flour mixture 3/4 in one bowl and 1/4 in the other.

Add egg and ice cold beer to the 1/4 mixture and whip until foamy.

Dip and cover the fresh fillet into the dry mixture first. Then dip and cover the floured fillet into the wet flour mixture and drop carefully into the hot oil. Cook until golden and flip until the other side is golden. Take out a place on bed of pepper towels and pat the excess oil off. Build Sandwich. Eat the best tasting fish sandwich ever.

Fish On, Chris

Last edited by ctfphoto; 06-21-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
kayakfisherman

Wow, it's gonna be hard to top that one.

But, I'll try...
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
T-Rex

The fresh rockfish sandwich looks killer! Batter looks light and crispy.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I tried Chris's BBQ sauce recipe for YT. It would not have been one that I would have ever come up with myself but wow, this recipe is really good.

In my trial, the only thing that was not perfect were the onions. They were still uncooked when everything else was ready. Maybe pre-cooking the onions a bit before stuffing them would be something to try.

Yellowtail with barbeque sauce... who would have guessed that this would be a good choice. Thanks Chris for making my belly happy tonight.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

Last day of the month! hoping to slip in tonight's coconut crusted halibut, just under the wire.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Last day of the month! hoping to slip in tonight's coconut crusted halibut, just under the wire.
Ahhh...got you one of those flatties on your trip.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
ctfphoto

T-Rex, Thank you it was very tasty. Your logs look fantastic.

dsafety, I thank you for trying this recipe and posting about it. It really is extremely delicious and it probably one of my favorite (new) ways to have fish. I will for sure do this recipe again with my next yellowtail.

Iceman , umm looks like I better step-it-up. I look forward to your recipe, if you make it in time.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
ctfphoto

Yellowtail Florentine

Here is the second dish from my 33 pound yellowtail from two weeks ago. I gave out fish to friends and family and received recipes in return and this is the second of two recipes.

Yellowtail Florentine

2 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons minced White Onion
1 Tablespoon dried Thyme Leaves
1 Pressed Garlic Clove
2 Cups Heavy Cream
4 teaspoons Cornstarch
1 Package frozen chopped Spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 Ounce grated Parmesan Cheese
Fresh Yellowtail fillet thinly cut
Ritz Crackers crushed
1 Lemon

Melt butter with onions garlic and thyme for a few minutes until fragrant. Stir in 1 3/4 cup heavy cream. Whisk remaining cream with cornstarch and add to the mixture. Cook for 2 minutes and set aside. Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine 1 cup sauce with spinach and parmesan cheese.

Pat dry the fillets and cut to about 1/2 inch thin on fillets that would be big enough to roll up the spinach mixture inside.

Place inside a butter coated baking dish with the seams down. Top rolled up yellowtail rolls with remaining sauce and then crushed Ritz crackers

Cook at 475 degrees for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle lemon juice on top of servings.

My wife really enjoyed this dish. I personally found it a little rich. I always like trying new ways to cook my fresh catch and this just adds to the list.

Fish on and get ready for El Nino, Chris
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #20
FISH11

Chris, you've posted several excelent recipes on this months contest. They all look great.The only problem in deciding wich is best, is I don't have the Yellowtail to make some of them. I guess that's just more reason to keep going out. Thank for sharing these awesome recipes. Tight Lines, Mark.