Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
jlabs63

Fishing This Week - LJ

Hey all, I have a buddy coming into town on Friday and he wants to going fishing. I haven't been out in La Jolla for about 6 weeks, so I wanted to see if anybody has intel on bait, etc. I really want to put him on a yellow, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
FISH11

Talking

Went out yesterday and been going out about once a week. Fished from 6:25 am till 3 pm. Things have not improved that much. There's been more bait than weeks ago but it can be hard to land even when found and using squid or frozen sardines pieces on the sabiki. The lobster traps out there have made it a real mess trying to troll or even drift. Have lost several lures and live bait to tangles with buoy lines. No yellows in many weeks even though I've tried all areas from north to even with Torrey Pines Golf course and yesterday south to the South La Jolla SMR border. Fished west to 300' even on different occasions. Have not seen any caught personally but had seen a couple at the landing within the last month. It's more a thing of being in the right place at the right time when searching for Yellows the way fishing has been unless you have a boat to cover a much larger area either further west or south. Can't catch one if you don't try, so get out there and enjoy the time on the water.

Last edited by FISH11; 10-23-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added more info
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
cris

I was out last saturday, weather was great and it wasn't too crowded. Nice sized bonito are around right now.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
jlabs63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Went out yesterday and been going out about once a week. Fished from 6:25 am till 3 pm. Things have not improved that much. There's been more bait than weeks ago but it can be hard to land even when found and using squid or frozen sardines pieces on the sabiki. The lobster traps out there have made it a real mess trying to troll or even drift. Have lost several lures and live bait to tangles with buoy lines. No yellows in many weeks even though I've tried all areas from north to even with Torrey Pines Golf course and yesterday south to the South La Jolla SMR border. Fished west to 300' even on different occasions. Have not seen any caught personally but had seen a couple at the landing within the last month. It's more a thing of being in the right place at the right time when searching for Yellows the way fishing has been unless you have a boat to cover a much larger area either further west or south. Can't catch one if you don't try, so get out there and enjoy the time on the water.
Thanks fellas. That's about what i expected. I forgot to mention that I will probably take him out in the inflatable (RIB), so I was also thinking of heading west / south to get away from the lobster salad mess. I plan to bring plenty of chum; squid and a buddy told me to try rice??? Says the macs love it, but im not convinced. I might try mixing it with some sent or something, because I hate taking squid out.

Hope to see some of you out there!
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote