Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Tuna in the surf - IB

Wished I lived close to IB...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...s-stormy-surf/

Tuna for the taking in Imperial Beach

By Ed Zieralski, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Friday, January 22, 2010 at 12:20 p.m.
Kevin Carlson shows off one of the bluefin tuna he was able to pull from the surf.

IMPERIAL BEACH— Beachcomber Kevin Carlson says he never knows what the Pacific Ocean will deliver after a big storm, but Friday morning he encountered his most unusual discovery in more than 20 years of walking beaches.
Carlson found several bluefin tuna in the 35- to 50-pound class struggling in the surf line off Imperial Beach. He was just north of the Imperial Beach Pier and north of the first jetty when he spotted them. Carlson theorizes the tuna escaped from one of the tuna pens floating off the coast of northern Baja. Perhaps the recent storms tore open one of the pens.
“There were a lot of them out there,” he said. “More than a dozen, but a couple of them were fresh dead fish and a few others were struggling to get out of the shallow surf. Once they got into the surf line, they couldn’t get out.”
Carlson waded in and gathered up 35- and 50-pound bluefin and let the ocean have the rest.
“The Pacific Ocean has been wonderful and bountiful for me over the years,” Carlson said. “But in 20 years of beachcombing, I’ve never found anything like this. I’ve found lobster traps with lobsters in them, you name it. You just never know what the Pacific Ocean is going to give up.”
Carlson, who works on the sport boat The Long Run out of Marina Cortez on Harbor Island, said he plans to eat the tuna and save the carcasses for his hoop nets. He also hoop nets for lobsters.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Sherm

I guess those tuna pens by the islands don't hold up in major storms.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Gino

Saw that on Bloodydecks lol

my first though was people would start launching looking for them before they found out it was Tuna Pens lol
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote