Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
lamb

Black Seabass - be ready to sucessfully release one

This stuff made me sick in my stomach... I'm sure all of you feel the same way.

This thread has been on BloodyDecks for some time; I just managed to see it tonight. For all of you that may have missed it like I almost did, please read it... and see all the gut wrenching videos. A-B.Cs of how NOT to handle your BSB catch:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/in...y-updated.html

I'm not getting into whether it's cool or not that DFG didn't even cite the folks involved...

With all the new blood on BWE, I figured it's a good opportunity to remind and educate.

Black Seabass is protected spices that has been making a remarkable comeback in our waters. If you're fishing an open ocean often enough, it's just a matter of time when you'll hook one. You've got to be ready to handle it properly and promptly release it, to reduce a chance of harming the fish.

If you're on something heavy for 10+ mins and the fish seems to show now signs of slowing down, pulling you with powerful yet steady pace, you likely hooked either a thresher or a black seabass. If you're not interested in keeping the T, it's the time to tighten up a drag and horse it up. The longer you fight the BSB, the more worn out it will be when you finally get it to color... The harder it will be to revive it.

Please don't drag the fish out of the water to take a picture... If you must, snap a quick one while it's still in the water.

BSB will likely roll over on it's belly once on the surface - get the hook out, cut the line as close to the hook as you can if gut hooked.

Straighten the fish up, get the water moving through its gills...

Call on a radio for help if you can't handle it yourself (not sure how, the fish is too big to handle, you or the fish is too tired)... Kayakers always help each other out, majority of boaters will come to land a hand as well.

There are many threads on BWE and other fishing and boards on this subject - do your research, put the forum search buttons to work.

I feel the black seabass has the best chance of swimming away if you don't let the fight last till the fish is totally spent.

Last edited by lamb; 01-20-2010 at 12:20 AM.
lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
T Bone

That guy should be smacked.that is so sad.what a great fish.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
stairman

releasing bsb

BSB are very suseptable to embolizing also.This is when the air bladder expands due to the release of pressure due to being brought to the surface.The air in their bladder will double in size every 33 feet they are brought up.This is why they float belly up .The pressure in their belly also puts pressure on their central nervous system somewhat paralyzing them.

If you really want to be ready to quickly release the fish you need a three way swivel some 8lb test and a five pound rock cod sinker.
Take a very small hook tied up with a couple of feet of the 8lb, tie to the threeway.Tie your heaviest line available to the swivel and a snap swivel to the threeway for the weight.
Lower the bsb slowly to the depth you caught him at and troll as slowly as possible in no time the fish will revive and break the 8lb and be fine.

If the bsb is very small you will need to hook the fish under as small a bit of mouth skin you can ,lower the fish and yank sharply on the lineto break the hook away.

this works for small rock cod too and if your gonna fish them you will catch small ones that are so small to be not worth filleting.This has to be done quickly.once recompressed the fish will be able to swim off like you caught it in ten feet of water.If you have ever caught reds up in the north in real shallow water they will swim just like a calico when released.Recompressing them does this same thing but be fast about it.
This is what they do for divers in recompressure chambers.They increase the pressure to make the gas bubbles of nitrogen that have formed in your body from too much bottom time...then they gradully let the pressure return to normal.Fish don't need to have the recompression chamber ,they live in one just, put em back where you found them.

my .02$
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The BSB are out there. I caught a small one last week on an iron. It was my first so I have not had to deal with how to release one of these fish until now. The good news is that while this kind of fish can be very large, they are also quite docile after being brought to the surface.

Their skin is very tough and I had a hard time removing the hook. Once released, my fish slowly swam away with no apparent damage. In my case, no resuscitation was necessary. This is not always the case.

There is a thread somewhere on this forum that shows a great video of a guy jumping off his kayak after catching a large BSB. From the water he gently rocked th fish back in forth until it had regained enough energy to swim away. Very cool.

It was great to finally see one of these majestic fish up close but I got a better feeling watching this beauty heading home.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

That is the best way if you have the sinker. There seem to be alot of BSB's around so having that setup around is a good thing, specially if your fishing for WSB w/bait, but they hit the iron too.

FOR HOBIE USERS: Just gently remove the hook and grab it by the lip and tow it around, even if the swim bladder is inflated it will eventually deflate as you tow it around to keep the water moving, usually takes only five min and the fish swim back happy.

What ever you do, DON"T POP THE BLADDER, and don't be "that guy" on the pier.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Thanks for all of the good tips guys. I've never caught one but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Now I will be ready!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Useful Idiot

This video makes me absolutely sick. Thank god I wasn't on that beach that day, I think you would've seen one live seabass and one dead human. Unbelievable.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Billy V

That whole incident is fu*ked up.

-Thats hard to believe that no charges were filed.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
j mo

shirtless "tuff guy". Saw this on BD last week. Even w people yelling in the background that it was a BSB and not legal... whata DOUCHE
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Oolie
Headshots Only

this thread should be stickied, it has great tips for releasing BSB, something everyone should be aware of.

i have yet to catch one myself, but i one fished on a guy's boat, when he caught one, he had no idea what it was and was about to gaff it.

there's many people out there who don't know what they are or how to handle catching one.

i vote sticky!
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
WahooUSMA

I not only would have booked the shirtless trailer trash, but would have cited the crack head boat operator for assisting in the catch as well as endangering his kids by damn near beaching his boat! What a goat*&^!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Gino

there wasnt anythign they could have goten him on. becuase the video wouldnt hold up in court. He did release the fish aparently, they would have had to have full proof that the fish died. some peopel said it did, but cant confirm it legally.

the newport beach police were involved as well as the DFG. if they wanted to get him im sure they could have. Lots of complaints.

When they interviewed the angler he apeard to play dumb. I will say that, im sure he knew what he was doing, He was informed it was a protected fish and continued to "go on with his buisness" The boat owner should have gotten the shaft to, but they didnt have anythign to convict him on either. Sad.

I wa shoping they would cite those guys to set an example to everyone that what they did was wrong and that even if DFG arent watching law abiding angler are.

That pier is crowded regularly, they should have had DFg monitoring it more frequently. It could have stopped that.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
there wasnt anythign they could have goten him on. becuase the video wouldnt hold up in court. He did release the fish aparently, they would have had to have full proof that the fish died. some peopel said it did, but cant confirm it legally.

the newport beach police were involved as well as the DFG. if they wanted to get him im sure they could have. Lots of complaints.

When they interviewed the angler he apeard to play dumb. I will say that, im sure he knew what he was doing, He was informed it was a protected fish and continued to "go on with his buisness" The boat owner should have gotten the shaft to, but they didnt have anythign to convict him on either. Sad.

I wa shoping they would cite those guys to set an example to everyone that what they did was wrong and that even if DFG arent watching law abiding angler are.

That pier is crowded regularly, they should have had DFg monitoring it more frequently. It could have stopped that.
Ignorance is not a defense.....

Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Gino

Yeah, i agree, it is worth all the money theyd spend against a lawsuit.

This was one fo those guys you have to make an example of, becuase it caught so much attention. but they didnt, so not it sends the wrong message.

x 10 to that guy...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
WahooUSMA

They made an example out of the guys who killed the seal....Last I heard DFG served a warrant (hi-risk style) and kicked his door in.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
Gino

Ya well aparently seals are more important than the BSB.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

According to a recent letter from the F & G commission, (See Holy Mackerel's post today), the F & G currently has about 200 wardens in the field throughout California... the entire state of California. This is not enough staff to completely cover San Diego County, let alone the whole state. Given this fact, we should not expect that someone from this agency will typically be handy to enforce the regulations when something like this happens.

The problem here is ignorance. I am certain that someone on that pier must have know that BSB are protected. They should have jumped in and explained things to those who did not know better. Why that did not happen mystifies me.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #18
nunyabizness1
Maggie

I was sick to my stomach watching this video and then seeing the guy pose with the BSB towards the end. His ego was more important than savng this fish! I did hear people in the video claim that it was a BSB. No one seemed to be worried about it. The DFG should have cited this guy bigtime! Yes it's true, the seals are more protected than a protected fish species. I don't understand the DFG's stance on this.
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Duke
Junior

I'm not familiar with BSB regulations, but it'd be wise for regulations to prohibit the removal of such a large, protected fish out of the water, even for release.

That's the regulations for goliath grouper in Florida. You're not supposed the remove the fish from the water. If a conservation officer catches you posing with a goliath, even a juvenile one, out of the water for hook removal or pictures, you'll get fined.

Back to the video, it sickens me to see that poor fish lip gaffed and dragged like that, with all those tourists harping away. Ignorance is not an excuse. Someone should have jumped in and straightened that angler out!
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
T Bone

It looked like it swallowed his pier gaff while gasping due to decompression.all he had to do was cut his line short as possible.Since the fish was caught off the pier the BSB couldnt have decompresed much.It probably would have been fine.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote