Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
old_rookie

OT: need home plumbing advice

Short story: need a plumber that can find a leak that is not always there. Comes from the the floor underneath the shower and goes into the connecting bedroom. Need someone who knows what they are doing, knows their chit. Any suggestions in the SD area?

Long:
Once in a while, we get water leaking into the masterbedroom from under the wall that is shared with the bathroom shower. The guest bathroom shares the same plumbing and wall. So both bathrooms are back-to-back. There is no rhyme or reason as to which bathroom is being used, or how many people of been using the shower/s as to when the leak appears. We have had this problem for a number of years. Both bathrooms were completely re-done a few years ago. Problem went away for about a year. Then once every 3 or 4 months (or longer) it happens. If the shower drain backs up, we don't see it. If someone takes a long shower, we might see it. If someone takes a short shower, sometimes we see it. We have had a few plumbers come out - can't figure it out. The water isn't warm, as in a slab leak. Besides, if it was a slab leak, it would be continuous. Someone had suggested that maybe the main valve turning on/off the shower leaks - down the wall, then under the floor. Possible.

Normally I would not post non kayak fishing stuff here, but like I said, this is been going on for a long time and I can't figure it out. Its time I get something done about it and need some help.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
dorado50

try a 6x jr. about twenty feet down with 40# mono,backed with 65#spectra. U should hook up with something....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

There are two companies that I'll suggest, TLC and Anderson. Both are very good, they may be a little costly, but they will have the high end gear that can locate your leak. If what I am hearing is correct is that you notice it more after someone takes a shower whether it be a long or short one, is that correct? Sounds almost like the valve to me also.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
SDlocal1
Junior

The cartridge in your valve could be bad. I had a constant leak from my valve for a year and all it took to fix it was a $30 cartridge.
SDlocal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
There are two companies that I'll suggest, TLC and Anderson. Both are very good, they may be a little costly, but they will have the high end gear that can locate your leak. If what I am hearing is correct is that you notice it more after someone takes a shower whether it be a long or short one, is that correct? Sounds almost like the valve to me also.
Yeah - it is only after a shower - but not always immediate - could 20 minutes - could be 2 hrs.

I can't believe previous plumbers never considered the valve.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

They may have considered the valve but wouldn't tell you so that they could charge you for the inspection. I use to work for a plumber and believe me they like to give a quote, but then will come back with, oh by the way I found this while I was looking. Plumbers are good sales people also.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
blazian

my guys have worked on a couple leaks, last one was similar to your situation. The drain pipe t junction was cracked and leaking from there. We had chip into the concret and replace the PVC. hopefully yours is not so bad. The drain piping is shared between your bathrooms, if it's not your valve your prolly going to have to open up the wall and check the pipes. Also check that the seal between your drain and tub/shower pan is good.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
scglide
Junior

Could be the shower arm is cracked at the treads in the wall, could be shower door, could be the shower pan or the shower cartridge. you can take the the cover off the shower valve and turn on the shower and look in the hole with a flashlight try to see if there is any water dipping from the cartridge or the shower arm.
scglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

It could be a lot of expensive things but if are lucky, (as I was), the problem could be as simple as a rusted out shower arm pipe. I am not exactly sure what it is called but it is the 8" long pipe that screws into the pipe inside the wall, going from the valve to the shower head. Mine had rusted, creating a pin hole that dumped water inside the wall whenever the shower was on.

The solution for me was to remove and replace that little piece of shower arm pipe for about $10.

Another shower had a more serious problem that I only discovered when I did a bathroom remodel. Water had been leaking through the tile for years rotting all the wood framing. This was a very costly repair.

Hopefully you have the first problem I described.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
try a 6x jr. about twenty feet down with 40# mono,backed with 65#spectra. U should hook up with something....

I like 40lb mono, going to 80 lb spectra. It makes for a better knot connection...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
SDlocal1
Junior

I suggest also to start with removing the shower valve plate and checking for water first. If it's wet it's in the upper plumbing, if not it's in the lower pluming. It's a simple check.
SDlocal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
Handymansd
Ancient Member

These leaks can usually be relatively simple to locate when done properly. Although there are some that can be a real nightmare, it is unlikely, but even an odd roof leak from the other side of the house can be the culprit sometimes. Water has a funny way of finding its way down sometimes. Most of the things people have mentioned here are easy simple things that any plumber should have looked at (not that all plumbers have their chit together), but there are a number of other things that should probably be inspected. Also a big concern after finding this leak is making sure to get these areas properly dried out to ensure that you are not harboring those nasty mold guys.

A moisture gauge, camera, knowledge of how plumbing works, a little experience in leak detection, and a bit of luck, Hmmm.... that sounds like most kayak fisherman .

I sent you a pm with my contact information.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
old_rookie

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, taking that plate off is an easy check. I'll be doing that next. There isn't a shower-pan - its all tile. They dug into the concrete a bit, replaced some of the drain, re-constructed the 'pan' area with concrete. We have had the drain back-up and fill the shower with 1/2" or so once, didn't have a leak that time. So I'm thinking there isn't a problem down there.

When the remodel was done, the upper part of the plumbing was replaced, they extended it up higher since I'm 6'2 - not sure about what was replaced going up to the valve - I took pics during the work, maybe I can 'see' into the wall as to what was done.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Riskey Water

I repaired a shower pan this summer for some people that had thier shower redone the previous year by someone else .I was told that it had leaked since the remodel .So I do the work requested and there was still water leaking from under the floor tile to the carpet.It turned out that the guy DID NOT REPLACE the WAX RING so with every flush water would go under the floor tile instead and to the carpet .finding the true leak can be tricky ,good luck
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote