Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
BenCantrell

Florida first report

As some of you may know, I recently moved from San Diego to Florida. It's been consistently windy here, but I finally got out on the ocean for the first time last weekend. The wind kept me close to shore, but the fishing was good, and I learned a lot. I wanted to keep things very simple, so I brought two rods, each with 15 lb braid and 10 lb fluoro leader. One had a Rapala Xrap 10, and the other had a Krocodile spoon. I ended up adding a new species to my list (guaguanche), brought home dinner (mangrove snapper), and caught bait for my next surf fishing session (ladyfish). I also hooked a nice 20+ lb jack crevalle, but I brought the wrong gear for that size fish. It ran off with my Xrap, which hopefully won't take too long to rust out. Next time I'll be better prepared!

Miles: 5.4
Hours: 3:23
Water Temp: 76 *
Wind Speed: 12.7 **

* Water temp from https://seatemperature.info/sebastia...mperature.html
** Max wind speed from https://www.windfinder.com/report/me...res/2021-05-01
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
FISH11

Great scenery and fish variety. One thing I noticed in the few visits to Florida and Hawaii and this was long before I got into serious fishing, is that it is so frickin often very windy. That's like spending too much time in the desert, it's too much for me. It would really make those calm time so much more enjoyable in that environment. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
iethinker

Florida

...a couple things I noticed about fishing Florida VS So Cal:

1. It is sometimes windy in the AM and it calms down more in the PM...the opposite of so cal pattern.

2. Use 30-lb leader even with light gear. The toothy factor is much higher in Florida and there or other sharp parts on the fish there too.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Welcome to Florida,

If that area is where you have settled, you are not far from Fellsmere reservoir...some of the best largemouth bass fishing in the state. I sold the last paddle kayak I won to a guy who lives up there. Amazing collection of catches you have on your blog and Instagram page.....keep em coming!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
...a couple things I noticed about fishing Florida VS So Cal:

1. It is sometimes windy in the AM and it calms down more in the PM...the opposite of so cal pattern.

2. Use 30-lb leader even with light gear. The toothy factor is much higher in Florida and there or other sharp parts on the fish there too.
1. - That depends on what area one lives in Florida. Florida having Keys, East and West coasts and a Panhandle has much diversity in weather patterns. In SoCal the mornings are typically calm and as the land heats up, it sucks the air off the ocean creating a sea breeze. Although that is not the regular pattern off Ft. Lauderdale, I would say we have more calm mornings than afternoons.

2. Yep - The goto leader for offshore is frequently 40lb and the toothy factor keeps some form of wire on atleast one of my outfits every trip.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
BenCantrell

I feel like the wind pattern here (the Space Coast) is similar to Socal with less of a difference between morning and afternoon. So far a lot of the days have been steady 10 mph with the afternoon slightly windier than the morning. Here's the day I kayaked (9:30am-1:00pm):

Thanks for the tip on Fellsmere! I've fished the spillway on the St Sebastian River near there, without much success though.

I did get a nice largemouth from a small pond near the Indian River. To be honest though I don't have much interest in kayaking for them. I'm a bit obsessed with going after new species, and with a few exceptions (clown knifefish), there's not much freshwater that kayaking would help me go after.

I'm super stoked to get out in the ocean more. Man that's a blast! I'll scale up my leaders.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #7
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Exploring a new area can be pretty exciting especially just about any place in Florida lol! You picked up some pretty cool catches!

Whenever I get the opportunity to visit my brother in Tampa I try to make some time to hit the shoreline and a few local reservoirs to catch what ever I can find.
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:12 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
I I've fished the spillway on the St Sebastian River near there, without much success though.

I did get a nice largemouth from a small pond near the Indian River. To be honest though I don't have much interest in kayaking for them. I'm a bit obsessed with going after new species, and with a few exceptions (clown knifefish), there's not much freshwater that kayaking would help me go after.

I'm super stoked to get out in the ocean more. Man that's a blast! I'll scale up my leaders.
Nice Large Mouth! The spillways in Florida are a great place for targeting a huge snook. Big Lazy snook hang out at spillways waiting for weakened easy prey fish to fall over the wall. Spring is a good time for offshore:the Blackfin Tuna are most abundant, an East wind brings in Mahi, the King Mackerel are migrating North and the competition between species makes them bite better, Pm me when your ready.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

Jeeze that bass is a giant. Excited to see more of your new fishery
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote