Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #21
walrus

In today's UT is a article about a sheriff's search at Lake Sutherland for a kayak fisherman missing since 1:30 PM yesterday. His kayak was found floating upside down. He's reported to be experienced and was known to fish there often.

Apparently he knew what he was doing, made a personal choice, and went fishing in bad weather. I feel sad for his family and the sudden loss of one they love.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yea that's sad for his family. They found his body today. He had heart problems and a pacemaker, no idea if that had anything to do with it. Take a buddy or don't go!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #23
Dannowar

Lol at risking your life for a gaggle of shorts
Old 03-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #24
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
DennisMorgan

this is a great string which is exposing how we are all different. There are differences in each of us. Most all of us enjoy safety first fishing and some like a bit of dirty weather and then there's the extreme like our buddy CJ who gets an adrenaline rush from challenging himself with super surge and waves and sets that scare the hell out of most of us while setting his traps in nasty !@#$ weather. Much like people that surf 40+ waves or scuba in caves it a challenge.... it is done to challenge yourself and experience extreme conditions. we have to remember we are all anglers who love our sport, I suggest we support the extreme and the normal. It is what makes us a community. I appreciate CJ's energy. Let's always recommend safety first but when one of us challenges themselves physically, mentally and the gear they have let's support.
Keep fishing hard and keep supporting your brethren gents! One California kayak fishing community,,,,,thousands of different anglers
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #26
bosshoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMorgan View Post
this is a great string which is exposing how we are all different. There are differences in each of us. Most all of us enjoy safety first fishing and some like a bit of dirty weather and then there's the extreme like our buddy CJ who gets an adrenaline rush from challenging himself with super surge and waves and sets that scare the hell out of most of us while setting his traps in nasty !@#$ weather. Much like people that surf 40+ waves or scuba in caves it a challenge.... it is done to challenge yourself and experience extreme conditions. we have to remember we are all anglers who love our sport, I suggest we support the extreme and the normal. It is what makes us a community. I appreciate CJ's energy. Let's always recommend safety first but when one of us challenges themselves physically, mentally and the gear they have let's support.
Keep fishing hard and keep supporting your brethren gents! One California kayak fishing community,,,,,thousands of different anglers
Well said !!!!!
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #27
walrus

Very well said. X2
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #28
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Well said Dennis. Well Said.

I for one know that ALL of the "negative" comments are really just concerned fellow anglers that thought what I was doing wasn't what they would recommend. THAT I appreciate. All I didn't appreciate was being called Dumb, Bone Headed and immature. I served eight years in your military doing SOME REALLY DUMB SHIT (on your scale of Dumb). In places I HAD to go. Doing things I didn't think I should be doing. A storm and a swell? Please. Cake walk.

Like I said. I'm done. I will do this again. And I appreciate being in your all's concerns. I really hope we can all be friends... even if I am a crazy motherfucker.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #29
DennisMorgan

I'm a former Marine CJ and know the need for challenge. Let's just do it right and invite our fellow kayakers to join when the challenge is fair....fish well...Semper Fi
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #30
Big T
Member, You Member!

Hoorah.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #31
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKDAD View Post
O...M...G... Those water bumps were crazy last night, What was I thinking??! Going out of the Dana Pt. Harbor, the waves were just pouring over the breakwall at high tide, when I first saw them I should have thought twice about it but I didn't. Got out there at 6:30 or so. Rain rain and more rain. Every pull was 2-3 bugs.

50 bugs later (about 10 of them no bigger than my hand!) I was about to bring em in at around 3:45 then the harbor patrol came out and recommended that I not be out there, perhaps I should have listened to them but Why didn't they stop me from going out in the first place or when the waves were ACTUALLY dangerous. It was dying down at that point. They also told me I was fishing to close to the mouth of the harbor, I should have just called it a bight at this point but decided to move them all to the outer buoy line.

Just as I dropped my last hoop, the wind gusted REALLY hard! Come to find out it wasn't the wind blowing ME it was a wave carrying me with it just before it turned me over and swamped me, That's when I knew I had made a bad decision to stay.

Well, that just plain sucked, all along with no one to help but I managed to right the yak and just hung on it for a minute.... then the next wave came. Shit.

Got back on and paddled my ass outta that region. Grabbed all of my hoops and limped home. Went to Jack in the Box and ordered like 10 tacos and drove home and thanked the man above for saving me.

Interesting night, Next time I'll keep check the reports or go out with a buddy, sure am glad I'm telling the story and not part of the 10 o'clock news.

With all due respect........Had you typed this up as edited above or typed something similar and made it so that others would learn from your mistakes, or experience, instead of saying look at me! Look at me! you wouldn't have received the negative comments that you Did. Sure you survived, I'm glad you Did and I'm sure that everyone else is especially those who love you and need you but telling everyone to back off because you're a bad ass or a marine shows a certain level of irresponsibility. Again, I say this with all due respect to you but sometimes you have to know right from wrong, just because you're a bad ass doesn't mean you should live on the edge.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #32
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Amen

Quote:
Thanks for understanding, you may see me on my jet ski out there on a rainy day going to Catalina and May call me dum ass. But it's a hell of rush if you ask me. I challenge myself many times. And I'm very confident on how far I can swim 5-10 miles , BUT there's things that. Happend and you have no control over. God bless our fellow kayaker.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #33
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Most badass I've been is realizing at the launch that I forgot my cellphone, and I went out anyway. I did have my VHF though
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #34
87yota4runner

So do you guys wear wet suits when you go out on the moby dick style fishing adventures? Seems like you would be freezing after a mid winter dip no matter what the attire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #35
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
With all due respect........ Blahblahblahblahblahblah ...you should live on the edge.
Are we married? LOL You sure sound like it. Nagging me AND rewording what I say so you can hear yourself say it. Classic good stuff right there.

Never had a problem about the "negative" nature of the posts.... Forums come complete with them... it's expected. Only had a problem with name calling is all.

But thanks for letting me know how to be PC and telling me how I should talk to get a result only YOU care about.

Good stuff!

Oh... and I wasn't a Marine.... Those guys are Nuckin' Futs! I'm honored by the assumption though.

Last edited by Big T; 03-03-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #36
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yota4runner View Post
So do you guys wear wet suits when you go out on the moby dick style fishing adventures? Seems like you would be freezing after a mid winter dip no matter what the attire.
Ah the benefits of polypropylene underwear, breathable waders with a wading belt. Any time I have concern of tipping over in rough water, I wear a belt. But yes... the initial dunk is quite frigid. Which was useful because I was kinda getting groggy out there. Woke me right up!

After a minute or so, you get used to it and the poly underwear works with you to warm you up even when wet. Till the wind picks up... then it kinda blows.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #37
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Are we married? LOL You sure sound like it. Nagging me AND rewording what I say so you can hear yourself say it. Classic good stuff right there.

Never had a problem about the "negative" nature of the posts.... Forums come complete with them... it's expected. Only had a problem with name calling is all.

But thanks for letting me know how to be PC and telling me how I should talk to get a result only YOU care about.

Good stuff!

Oh... and I wasn't a Marine.... Those guys are Nuckin' Futs! I'm honored by the assumption though.

Hahahahaha...... you're not my type!!

I thought I read that you were a marine, my bad.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #38
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Hahahahaha...... you're not my type!!

I thought I read that you were a marine, my bad.
LMAO!! Good!

Nah... those guys actually kick ass. I'm just a badass. There's a difference.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #39
Big T
Member, You Member!

Are you frickin' kidding me? LOL Just so I don't get ANOTHER hate PM on this subject... I do not actually THINK I'm a badass. Someone called me a badass in another post. So therefore, I officially don't THINK I'm a badass.

But... because someone posted it, I actually KNOW I'm a badass.

Any other lame PM's will be ignored. Can't wait to meet you all at a tournament or group event! Soon! It's gonna be fun! If I even get invited! LOL You guys are a mental trip! Love it!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #40
dorado50

was that "badass or jackass".....not quite sure now

report hate pm's to mods
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote