Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
'Cuda

La Bocana/Abreojos

Heading down Dec. 17th for 2 weeks, any info shared about weather, launch sites etc. would be appreciated.
A good Thanksgiving to all....I'm making a turbassen .
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
j mo

Check this link and subsequent thread for info: http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/ba...rene-help.html
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Ojos_raros

abreojos needs no study plan...

head to town, camp anywhere you want. theres some good mellow spots .5 miles south of town. you'll easily see the pangas lined up in town. you can easily prepare and launch right there. then head SW straight offshore & youll see the lobster buoys. find the birds and you'll be in jurelones heaven
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Quilted Germ

Just don't camp anywhere near the trash dump...never seen so many flies!!
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
fishdude

All I can tell you is, that place goes off. You are going to have the best time fishing and just hanging with the locals. Get out to the boiler rocks, be aware and hang on.

I have fished that place a couple of times and it was and still is the best place to fish WFO on 20 + lb yellows, monster bonita, 10 + lb calicos, nuclear black sea bass and many other species.

I f I could get work off I would love to tag along.

Be safe, tight lines, good luck and god bless.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
aguachico

Cuda;

There are many ways to fish this area. From Ojos you can yak to bajo wright or knepper reefs. Pangas out of Ojos are $120 per day. Nice pangas. You can stay at Chelos hotel in ojos or camp the point.

La Bocana is the pueblo north of Ojos. They have a boat ramp and lots of fishable areas for the yak. You would have to paddle thru the combers, not a problem then north or south to fish. You can also fish the estuary if you like.

La Bocana has pangas for hire that will carry your yak. La Bocana has some places to stay. PM me for more details about styaing there.

I just got back from fishing there yesterday. I've spent 4 weeks there since 10/1. Mostly standup, but did get some tuna/yt and bass off the yak. The area is littered with 10# yt. They are a nuisance. The cool thing was paddling next to the Royal Star on it's 10-day trying for wahoo.

Art
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
taggermike

It's been a while since I have been to Abreojos. I used to head down there mostly for the surfing. We did do a lot of shore fishing in the Coyote Estero south of town. Lots of halibut, bass, corvina, and the occational grouper or pinto bass. That place would be awsome on a kayak. I'm sure things have changed but one thing won't have changed; the wind. It is basicly always windy there. With off shores being the dominant wind so be careful. If you can launch in LJ you should be able to paddle out from the beaches in that area or behind some of the small points between town and Campo Rene. The surf is much smaller in the winter so that will help. Have a great trip and post when you get back. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
It's been a while since I have been to Abreojos. I used to head down there mostly for the surfing. We did do a lot of shore fishing in the Coyote Estero south of town. Lots of halibut, bass, corvina, and the occational grouper or pinto bass. That place would be awsome on a kayak. I'm sure things have changed but one thing won't have changed; the wind. It is basicly always windy there. With off shores being the dominant wind so be careful. If you can launch in LJ you should be able to paddle out from the beaches in that area or behind some of the small points between town and Campo Rene. The surf is much smaller in the winter so that will help. Have a great trip and post when you get back. Mike

Yah the wind.

iwindsurf.com and swellwatch.com. NW and west winds are bad and will blow hard. South and east winds in the morning will die off.

The swell is only bad when coming from the south. It's a timing thing that even my slow ass has no problem with the ocassional 6 footers that come in from the south.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote