Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
buddha

Gonzaga Bay camping thread

The next Baja or Bust trip will be at Gonzaga Bay in April.

I am a fairly novice camper but I know that I just can not sleep on the ground and be comfortable so I am looking for a cot to sleep on.

Any suggestions?

Here is an interesting thread I found on camping cots and I am leaning toward the REI Comfort Cot as I tried it out today and it was very comfortable and has adjustable legs to account for an uneven ground as well as being able to raise the head section if you like to sleep that way.

Camping cot thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...at-s-bad/page8

REI Comfort Cot: http://www.rei.com/product/765277/rei-comfort-cot

Any other camping suggestions or items for camping to share?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Tuff guy

Why not just put an air mattress in your tent, works great and they come in all sizes
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I own three of these pads for my family - it's awesome....durable and simple to use.

Check out the reviews.

http://www.rei.com/product/778152/re...-inflating-pad
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Tempted...

So where's Gonzaga Bay? After just reading that thread on Bahia Asuncion, I am a little intreagued by all this Baja talk. I used to go down there many years ago, but became a little concerned about all that drug BS. Can you guys tell me a little more about the details of this trip? How long of a drive is it?

Janine
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
So where's Gonzaga Bay? After just reading that thread on Bahia Asuncion, I am a little intreagued by all this Baja talk. I used to go down there many years ago, but became a little concerned about all that drug BS. Can you guys tell me a little more about the details of this trip? How long of a drive is it?

Janine
There is nothing to worry about at all for the fishing places that we are going to they are all perfectly safe. The drive I believe is roughly 6-7 hours from San Diego and the roads are paved nicely I believe other than the last 3 miles?

The trip will be on April 14-21 and we will be camping. You can arrive earlier and stay later as I am sure some will be there at that time.

I think camping will cost 15 bucks/night but not certain of that.

Fishing will be great that time of year and megabaits, krocs, kastmaters and other hard baits are the ticket. No plastics.

People that have gone there before say that it is an amazingly beautiful place with great fishing.

I think you will have a great time if you come. Baja is an incredible place.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
I own three of these pads for my family - it's awesome....durable and simple to use.

Check out the reviews.

http://www.rei.com/product/778152/re...-inflating-pad
So you use these pad and sleep on the ground?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
danjor

I use a surplus military cot if I don't feel like using a air mattress. Problem with air mattress is in my experience 50% of the time you wake up to a delflated mattress. Lol
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
GregAndrew

I recommend the air mattress also. The campsites down there are sand over something the consistency of hard sand stone. Don't even bother with the cheap wire tent stakes and bring a hammer of some type. Fill all the rings with stakes and bring extra tent rods if you have them. Please use caution at Gonzaga Bay with the prevailing winds, which are offshore. I would not recommend the location to anyone without experience in wind and wind-chop. General rule of thumb is "when you see the dust kicking up on the hills, way back behind and above the camp, it is time to head back". If you don't experience high winds at some point, you have just experienced a miracle. Megabaits, Irons and some topwater lures are the mainstays. You can use plastics, but not in the open water cause the Triggers will bite em in half. There are a couple of mini marts within 1 mile of the camp grounds, one with gas. Pangas are available at Papa Fernandez' camp. I think we only went through 2 or maybe 3 checkpoints crossing at Mexicali, but one is between Papa's and the marts, and the beach camp grounds are on the other side of the marts. Last year they were 1 bridge completion from paving all the way beyond the bay. Campo Beluga, where we stayed, had flush toilet outhouses and fresh water shower stalls (not heated).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
walrus

If you're not in a hurry to get equipped for the April trip, I would like to talk to you at our pre-trip get together.

I have been camping nearly all my life and I teach desert and winter camping skills. It's very difficult to find the right sleeping system for you via a web forum. I'll be happy to discuss what you need to be as comfortable a possible.

I would be happy to talk about any camping questions anyone on the trip may have at the pre-trip get together.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
If you're not in a hurry to get equipped for the April trip, I would like to talk to you at our pre-trip get together.

I have been camping nearly all my life and I teach desert and winter camping skills. It's very difficult to find the right sleeping system for you via a web forum. I'll be happy to discuss what you need to be as comfortable a possible.

I would be happy to talk about any camping questions anyone on the trip may have at the pre-trip get together.
Sent you a PM with my telephone number.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Ahhh .........Bahia San Luis Gonzaga

Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Iceman, what sweet memories, thank you for sharing. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
tattuna

1st time I went camping ever was in Gonzaga in 2004. I've been back at least once a year ever since. Like Greg mentioned the winds are no joke! They'll topple your tents. Be sure to bring some rope to tie your tent to the palapa to help keep it from caving in on you. The winds there usually blow from 30-40 mph anywhere from a few hours to a few days at a time.

I've only camped at Campo Beluga since it has restrooms and showers. $20 a night per palapa. Each palapa can fit 3 or 4 tents comfortably. You can camp at Papa Fernandez or Alfonsinas but neither have showers unless you rent a room.

A good site to check out is the webcam at www.papafernandez.com. I think it takes a picture every 30 minutes. A good source to check the days before your trip to check on conditions.

This is a pic we took at the webcam a few years ago. Flat calm that day but 40+ mph winds that night turned the bay into a raging rough sea. The average tides are around 30 feet.

You guys are gonna love it there! Bring lots of jigs and prepared to get freight trained by the grouper and snappers that rule the reef. I can't make it in April but I hope to get down there this year.

Another thing worth noting is to know the difference between a totouava and a wsb. They both can be found in that area that time of year and look fairly similar. Biggest difference is the totouava will land you in jail. The totouava is usually a little more bronze in color and sometimes has spots on the dorsal fin. I don't remember if they have a "zipper" like wsb.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
GregAndrew

No zipper on them.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Went through Gonzaga this past week end and the pavement ends at the south end of the bridge but the roadbed is prepped from there to about 2 miles south of the pemex and would not be surprised if it were paved by April

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #16
taggermike

I've been to Gonzaga twice. Once maybe 15 years ago and once 3 years ago. The 3 year ago trip was in May. The later trip, in May, we stayed on the beach at Papa Fernandez. The weather was perfect but the fishing was very slow. The beach is a nice place to camp. The only draw back was after dark the "no-see-ems" were thick. I slept out side in a sleeping bag on a mat. Comfortable over the sand but the biters f'n mauled me. So bring a tent or bug proof bivy. Jeff, I thought this looked cool.
http://www.basspro.com/KampRite-Over...product/89513/

The trip 15 years ago, again in May, was almost a disaster. We camped the first night and fished the next day. I'll 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th the wind warning. We were out side the bay at a little high spot in a 15' hydrosport skiff. Wind was maybe 5 knots out of the east, just barely enough to cool off. I looked west and below very gap in the mountains was a huge patch of white water roaring straight out to sea. We fire up and made top speed toward the beach. We made it maybe a quarter mile before we met the wind head on. 50 knots??? Never seen anything like it. You could barely open your eyes in to the spray. We took a "greenie" over the bow. Like 2 solid feet of water and he skiff was knee deep. The engine died and we turned side on to the waves. The scuppers did their jobs as we hopped from gunnel to gunnel to keep the boat up right. About this time a big ol' shrimper came around from the south, running to the bay for shelter. We got the engine going, tucked in right behind her, and followed her in. I can't say what might have happened if that shrimper hadn't showed up but I can say that I the closest I have ever come to death.

Ok, long story, but I wanted to give a first hand north Baja wind story.

I'll be trying to clear those dates. Need to see the place's full fishing potential. Here's a map of the Gonzaga area.
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en

Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Jeff, I thought this looked cool.
http://www.basspro.com/KampRite-Over...product/89513/

Mike
That is the exact tent that I am looking at. Amazon has them for 149 but they are currently out of stock.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #18
battleborn

Interested. May have to leave early.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #19
GregAndrew

If you are camping, a tent is a must. Otherwise you will be sand blasted over night. Keep the flaps that close the screened areas closed cause the silt will penetrate the fine mesh. Under the Palapas, you can leave the rain-fly off for ventilation.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #20
CKallday71

Is it me or does this seem really cheap?

Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent
http://amzn.com/B000W7BHJY