Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Zfish03

Pro Angler capsize video

Not me but this was good to watch and learn from. Wear those PDF's!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKSnRKLJpq0
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Witty1

Yea... pfd's
and paddles... a paddle could* have prevented that...
Witty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
driftwood

This clip has been posted about a 100 times.
I think we got the point already. Thanks...
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Zfish03

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Geez my bad...
It was my first time seeing it so I didn't get the "point" already. Though it was eye opening and just wanted to share some safety with others who might not have seen it. I'll fish through the search menu a bit more next time
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
FishRaiden
CEO-TacticalFishingCrew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfish03 View Post
Geez my bad...
It was my first time seeing it so I didn't get the "point" already. Though it was eye opening and just wanted to share some safety with others who might not have seen it. I'll fish through the search menu a bit more next time
My 1st time seeing this video too. Thanks for sharing. Pretty intense after flipping twice.
#DropLuresNotBait
FishRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
beergillz
Junior

that was hard to watch....fishing can be hard on the wallet
beergillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Thanks for sharing, first time seeing it too

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
CKallday71

Never hurts to get a refresher course in overall Yak safety. Always wear your PFD, and I treat items on my Yak like I treat things at the shooting range.

One of the first rules of gun safety is you NEVER point a gun at anything you're not ready to kill or destroy.

On my Yak, the only things I don't have tethered to a leash are items I don't give a crap if I lose or destroy them. I've probably bought Andy at OEX a few dinners with the numbers of Hobie leashes I've bought (I really like the way they're made), but about the only thing on my Yak that isn't leashed down is my tuchas and my lunch bag, and both of those float.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Siebler

Quote:
The point of being safe and preparing for the worst can never be stressed enough. There is ZERO reason to be negative about a repost when it has a strong message such as this one.

There are plenty of folks who have not seen this and think that because they own a PA they dont have to worry about flipping. Posting of this video opens the eyes of many and helps to motivate education of safety and re-entry. I am sure that I speak for the entire BWE crew along with the vast majority of BWE members when I ask you to refrain from making posts such as the one you did. It serves no useful purpose to the community while the post you are complaining about does the exact opposite and just may save somebodies life.

Last edited by Siebler; 10-29-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Crazy Cajun
Junior

Thanks for sharing
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
The point of being safe and preparing for the worst can never be stressed enough. There is ZERO reason to be negative about a repost when it has a strong message such as this one.

There are plenty of folks who have not seen this and think that because they own a PA they dont have to worry about flipping. Posting of this video opens the eyes of many and helps to motivate education of safety and re-entry. I am sure that I speak for the entire BWE crew along with the vast majority of BWE members when I ask you to refrain from making posts such as the one you did. It serves no useful purpose to the community while the post you are complaining about does the exact opposite and just may save somebodies life.

Whoever said the PA can't flip is like saying the Titanic is unsinkable.
Realistically most kayaks would of flipped with does conditions.

Maybe I got I little too sensitive, but that video puts the PA in bad light.
But yeah Siebler, i do see your point.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Raskal311

Quote:
Whoever said the PA can't flip is like saying the Titanic is unsinkable.
Realistically most kayaks would of flipped with does conditions.

Maybe I got I little too sensitive, but that video puts the PA in bad light.
But yeah Siebler, i do see your point.
Bad light how? If anything it puts us PA owners back in our place Lets us know we are not invincible.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
driftwood

I have owned more that one kayak in my life and been on many others
in nasty windblown weather.

Having said that, If I had a choice, I much rather be on a PA.
But that's just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
Siebler

There are a lot of folks that jump straight into PA's having never paddled anything else and do not know anything of self rescue or the way that kayaks perform in rough conditions. Generally when you hear of guys flipping PA's it usually ends up a bigger ordeal and scarier experience than those who have paddling experience and flip a boat such as a Prowler or Tarpon.

I know it sounds unreasonable but there are A LOT of poeple that jumped into PA's never knowing anything of kayak fishing until they saw the PA on TV or at Fred Hall or whatever and dont think they will flip these. And as ignorant as it sounds look at the way the PA is marketed...it is bound to happen this way.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
driftwood

Yes, once the PA is upside down that's could be another story. Although, when that 500lb pound sea lion flipped me surprisingly I didn't have too much trouble flipping it backup. I also question that guy skills on that video.

Generally the PA is a little harder to launch and land... and I think this is were most people with little experience get in to trouble most.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
There are a lot of folks that jump straight into PA's having never paddled anything else and do not know anything of self rescue or the way that kayaks perform in rough conditions. Generally when you hear of guys flipping PA's it usually ends up a bigger ordeal and scarier experience than those who have paddling experience and flip a boat such as a Prowler or Tarpon.

I know it sounds unreasonable but there are A LOT of poeple that jumped into PA's never knowing anything of kayak fishing until they saw the PA on TV or at Fred Hall or whatever and dont think they will flip these. And as ignorant as it sounds look at the way the PA is marketed...it is bound to happen this way.
THIS^^ is me. PA14 is my first yak. got badly seasick my first time outside at LJ and flipped...in the kelp no less. Learned self rescue with spaghetti!

Posting this stuff is good since there are newbies like me on here every week trying to pick up a clue before we get into something new. [no need to bring any hate about how crowded the sport is getting...]
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote