Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
IN2DEEP

Hobie PA12 Up-graders from an Outback, any regrets?

Hi guys, looking to get my first kayak. Also, currently a boat owner
Will be using mainly for SW inshore fishing (harbors, kelp beds, etc.), FW lake fishing and occasional exercise.
Unsure if I will be surf launching in the future
Pretty set that it will be a Hobie with the Mirage drive.
Either the PA12 or an Outback
Have two buddies with the PA12 and no complaints (their 1st. kayaks also)
I will be transporting with a LB pick-up w/camper shell.
Have the funds to get either one (used)
If I stay with it, I might end up with two so the GF or friends can join me.

Any PA12 up-graders that preferred their Outbacks?

If you tell me to get both, which one should I get first?

Thanks!
IN2DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
CKallday71

I have a 2013 Outback that I had Andy at OEX install the Square Tackle Box hatch (from the PA 12) just ahead of the seat. I love my Yak. It's light enough that I can solo load and unload it on top of my VW Golf with no worries and it is VERY comfortable even for a long time on the water.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
salty pirate

I had the outback first, loved it. got the pa12 and love it. I kept the outback for a spare kayak, also thinking I would take it over the pa on days when the surf is big but the pa goes anywhere the outback went.

You cant go wrong with either. I can carry the outback with one hand and it is a great fishing platform. pa12 is a bit more work to load but in the back of a truck is no prob. pa12 is more comfortable especially for longer days+ stand up to stretch out is nice. I load both in a long bed truck with toolbox no prob. 2 pa's would be a bit tough though. on the storage side of things the out back is much less trouble to move around the garage and although they are close in dimensions the outback seems to take up way less space.

You will find a lot more outback's to pick from and for quite a bit less $. Get the pa if you plan on going often and or long trips.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Raskal311

It’s tough for me to find time to get on the water so when I do I make the most of it and fish for at least 8hrs. After about 6hrs or so I can see the envy in my buddies their eyes as I standing up stretching out or slouching on the lawn chair with my leg resting on the mirage drive But yea the PA does take more work to move around but you but I’m 5’8” 145lb and I don’t have any problems taking it out solo as long as I know where I’m going and what the launch site is like.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
flemdogg
Island Blood

You can't go wrong with either, however the truth is if you don't test both you will always wonder "what if?" Test both, and be happy with no regrets at the end of the day. Have fun
Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
IN2DEEP

Thanks for the replies guys
Its seems that most are happy with either one.
I did peddle my friend's PA12 around king harbor and then outside the breakwater for a short distance.
I need to demo an Outback for comparison and then make my decision
Who knows, I might end up with both someday
Thanks again!
IN2DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Zfish03

I started with an outback(older version) , still have it and I love it. But I go out on long trips and I wanted more deck space so I ended up getting a PA 12.
The PA punches through waves surprisingly well, get soaked in moderate surf launches. Most days I'm glad I'm to be in my PA but somedays I miss being on the outback.
It really depends on what youre looking to do. The outback will be easier to load and launch. Plus you can take it on mothership trips, PA's are usually a no go.
But you can't beat the comfort, deck space, and enjoyment of a PA...
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote