Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
PACIFICPUNISHER
Junior

what kayak to buy

Hey guys and gals new to the site but not to the game. Im looking to buy a new kayak this week and im very interested in the malibu stealth 12. I like all the options it has to offer. I have used the seaech function to get some reviews but they are all mixed. Anyone on here have any updates on any changes they may have made? Or maybe some suggestions on a different kayak. I mainly fish LJ and the local Islands. My previous kayak was a cobra FnD that i was very happy with. Thanks
PACIFICPUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Siebler

Make the drive to OEX MB or SSB and try some boats out. You will learn more in 5 minutes on the kayak than in 5 hours of reading other peoples opinions. Fact of it is that no kayak is the best for everybody.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
ccacher1

I have a Malibu Stealth-9 (can't store anything bigger =\ ) and really like it. People say the hatches leak like crazy and while some water does get inside the hull its nothing insane to me. I'm younger and don't mind paddling my s-9 but I know something longer like a s-12 would probably track better. Anyways best part about the boat to me is the built in livewell and storage compartments. Also, the newer model stealths have a built in spot on the hull for a transducer to screw in which is kinda cool.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The S-12 is the only yak I've had so I have nothing to compare it to. If you don't mind some water leaking in through the poorly designed side hatches, then it's a great fishing platform. It has decent storage and the live well low and up front is awesome. It tracks well and is stable. It also drifts well.

I wouldn't say it's good for heavy surf, but well suited for mild/flat conditions such as bays and calmer days on the water. It seems to sit low in the water so "washing machine" swells and bigger boat wash may come over the sides and add some leakage into the hatches.

Also don't expect a dry ride even in calm conditions. Some paddle drip ends up in the seating area and is enough to leave you wet all day, which I don't know but may be common to most sots. Leave the seat plugs out and wear splash pants/waders.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
PACIFICPUNISHER
Junior

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
PACIFICPUNISHER
Junior

The biggest concern i have with purchasing the stealth 12 is all the negative reviews with the kayak taking in water and alot of people suggesting the kayak is not made for heavy surf. I went to oex to see them and take one for a ride but using the kayak in the bay does no justice. I may just pick up another cobra FnD.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
ccacher1

I guess it comes down to would you use that baittank/livewell and storage compartments? Or are you planning on putting your own bait tank on it and if you got the cobra would you add storage?

As far as not being a good kayak for in and past the surf...I'll say that I've taken my s-9 out of La Jolla and its been fine. If I sink because I take on too much water then maybe I'll write a different review... lol
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

It does take on water but it's not enough to worry about sinking. I've drained out maybe a half gallon after 7-8 hours on the water in normal conditions.

That might sound like a lot but it's not even enough to be able to use a hand pump.

Since then I've gooped the hatch-to-hull gaskets and it seems better. Next I will find better fitting hatch lid seals and I think it will stay pretty dry inside.

I've taken it out in "rough" waters (5-6 foot swells with short timing and multiple direction smaller cross swells) but I was uncomfortable being out there long before I would consider the yak unsafe. But that's just my inexperience I'm sure. There was water coming over the bow and the sides. I bet if I strapped a crash dummy on the yak, it would have a bunch of water in it but it would have still been floating the next day

Overall, the features of the yak out-weigh the hatch problem.

BTW, there is the blem sale going on this weekend where you can buy one for a good price and give it a real try. That way it should resell for about what you paid for it if you change your mind.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 10-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Siebler

The Stealth hatches have been reworked a few times and the S-12 bow hatch was very recently remodeled as well.

Also the Ride series is a great boat that will offer similar stability and feel as your FnD however it will handle rough conditions better and is a more efficient hull than either the FnD (by a long shot) or the Malibus.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
PACIFICPUNISHER
Junior

Well im going to give the stealth 12 a shot. Picking it up today and helpfully take it out Sat. Review to come. Thanks for all the input
Old 10-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
easyday

Selling a malibu x factor 14