Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
IntrntFshrman

Reasonable life expectancy

Hello All.

I've been lurking for awhile and am finally taking the plunge. I just got a great deal on a used Malibu X Factor and am about to get another so my wife and two young boys can get into this. We're going to keep it safe now and just go out to Puddingstone lake to get our kayak chops going.

I'm a little concerned that I'm buying used kayaks so I wanted to ask you guys that have Malibus, how much life can I reasonably get out of them? They'll be stored in the garage.

Also, what year did the X Factor first appear?

Thanks so much to all and next summer, I'll be looking to hook up with you more experienced folks to go to La Jolla...get over my shark fobia and catch a Yellowtail!!

Mike C.
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
JoeBeck

I do not know the answers to your question although I know about the importants of the right safety equipment.

My wife got a hole in her kayak while we were out at catalina fishing. It was not a problem because we had a hand held bilge pump and were easily able to pump the water out and get to shore. Kayaks won't sink quickly if at all so you have time to get the water out. We also had a VHF radio to call for help. A map of the area to communicate where we were and also a GPS to give exact location. We got a ride home from harbor patrol in a reasonable amount of time to enjoy the rest of the day and never felt we were not safe.

I also carry:
A small 1st aid kit
Extra water and dry food snacks
Flashlight, whistle and signaling device (mirror)
An extra paddle (I once lost mine on the water, it sucked calling for help because I lost my paddle . Now I keep an extra in my yak.)
Also keep your PDF on, gets hard on hot days although if you are forced to go in the water you do want to float.

Also note Kayaks are super durable. Her kayak was over 6 years old and was given some abuse on long road trips through mexico. In 6 years it was dragged to and through more beaches than I can count. Wheels might be a good purchase too to limit dragging the kayak.

- Joe
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
mrJB

My $.02:
Be sure to check the plastic around the scuppers on the underside... the ones in the seat area are subject to an area that gets a lot of flexing from a person's weight. The ones in the rear tankwell MAY have been weakened from a cart that used the scupper holes for attachment. From my limited knowledge, only the Hobies are approved for these type of carts...
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Quilted Germ

Nice thing is, even if you do come across a leak, it can easily be fixed. I had Nate at the O'side OEX fix two major leaks and it made the world of difference...and it only set me back $35....
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote