Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Jim Sammons LJKF

Take a look at this crap

Laguna Beach Calls For 7-Mile No-Fishing Zone off City

7/10/2009 7:23 AM
Last updated: 7/10/2009 7:23 AM

Laguna Beach City Council members voted 4-1 (with Mayor Kelly Boyd dissenting) to ask the California Department of Fish and Game for a ban on all fishing — commercial and recreational — along the entire 7-mile-long Laguna Beach coastline extending 3 miles offshore, during their June 16 meeting.

Photo by: yachtphotography.com

While the city has no authority to enact such a ban itself, council members who supported the measure hoped to make an impact on the ongoing Marine Life Protection Act discussions, in which a variety of Marine Protected Areas closed to fishing are being proposed along the Orange County coast. None of the alternatives being considered, however, would close as much of the Laguna coast as the proposal put forward by the city council.

“Let the ocean lay fallow,” Councilmember Toni Iseman, author of the measure, told those at the council meeting. “I’m asking for a time out.”

More than 50 people spoke about the proposal during more than two hours of discussion — including sport anglers, commercial fishermen, surfers, divers and environmental advocates.

One woman drew gasps when she brought in two dead Garabaldi she claimed were illegally speared by a diver as “evidence” of fishing abuses in Laguna Beach. Fishermen in attendance surprised her with information that possession of those fish was illegal.

While some of the speakers at the meeting cited the fact that no studies show recreational fishing is having a negative impact on local fish populations, others claimed that a closure would only increase fish populations — and that it could be a temporary measure, if experts so decided.

“I haven’t seen any of the science,” admitted Councilmember Elizabeth Pearson. “All we know is what opinions are. I don’t know if we’re overfished. I don’t know that we need replenishment. But I do know this: I’ve seen some disgusting things happening at Shaw’s Cove (a popular diving area) over the last 20 years. There’s been abuse after abuse ... so this is our last chance to do something.”

Mayor Kelly Boyd, a sport angler, strongly protested the move, and told council members that the closure was largely unenforceable, even if it were to be approved by the state. “We’re not looking at the overall picture: Who in the hell is going to enforce this?” Boyd asked.
“With the state $24 billion in debt and Laguna $800,000 in debt, we’re going to enforce this? I don’t think so.”
Following the council vote, Boyd began organizing an e-mail campaign, and has asked residents and all Southern California anglers to tell council members how they feel about the closure resolution. E-mails can be sent to Boyd at kellyboyd2006@ gmail.com, Jane Egly at jhegly@aol.com, Toni Iseman at tiseman2@aol.com, Elizabeth Pearson at elizabethpearson2@cox.net and Verna Rollinger at vernarollinger@cox.net.

JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Billy V

Yes Jim it is Crap, so if we want to continue our wholesome family recreation we must continue this fight we were forced to enter into.

Please continue to send letters to MLPA Comments voicing your concerns, or pics like this will be a thing of the past, and access to recreation kayak fishing will be over.

Last edited by Billy V; 07-10-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Geoffkoop

Those proposed closures are my local home fishing grounds. This whole thing is just mind boggling. Keep up the fight guys!!!
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Gino

HAHA wow that was a funny read.

Quote:
One woman drew gasps when she brought in two dead Garabaldi she claimed were illegally speared by a diver as “evidence” of fishing abuses in Laguna Beach. Fishermen in attendance surprised her with information that possession of those fish was illegal.
I woulda called Cal Tip right then and there! nevermind, there was a game wardens at the meeting, she sould have been written a ticket.

Ive seen soem pretty discusting things from grean peace in laguna beach, Ive also seen soem discusting stuff people do while they are in bed...Maybe we should ban that to, so what if they cant enforce it.

That city is almsot a million in debt! must have been those new short shorts, and hybrid cars there police department drives...
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

“I haven’t seen any of the science,” admitted Councilmember Elizabeth Pearson. “All we know is what opinions are. I don’t know if we’re overfished. I don’t know that we need replenishment. But I do know this: I’ve seen some disgusting things happening at Shaw’s Cove (a popular diving area) over the last 20 years. There’s been abuse after abuse ... so this is our last chance to do something.”

What Elizabeth Pearson didn't say.......
"Science!? We don't need no stinking science. Anecdotal evidence, emotion and blind faith in the goodness of our intentions is all that we need"
Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
mrJB

OK, enough is enough!

The Laguna Beach City Council members' actions are sad and infuriating.

From the good showing by yakkers and other fishermen at the recent MLPA meeting in Laguna (not every fisherman looked or dressed like he/she just fell out of a bait tank, drove a 1-ton pickup, or couldn't carry an intelligent conversation), I can only surmise that some of the resident blue-hairs are now worried about the stronger than expected showing of fishermen and apparent future decline of their sacred city after the invasion of fish-eating outsiders. Yeah, the ones who actually catch and eat fish rather than buying it, maybe in secret, from the local upscale Gelsons or Trader Joe's market.

Bet your bippy that I'll be sending some letters this weekend pointing out that they can forget about my spending any dollars in their fair town in restaurants, small businesses, for beach passes, art festivals, or on anything else, and I will encourage friends to do the same.

It is my small but unimportant opinion that we should be considering the big picture - including and beyond the MPLA regulations - considerations like paid parking in La Jolla, re-development of the Dana Point harbor to favor large yachts (read wealthy, kayak launch fees, paid parking, etc.), outlawing fishing in Laguna, and so on and so on.

Is it time to get really organized, both politically and financially - I would think so. Fish on (?), maybe not too much longer.
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
taggermike

Thanks for sharing Jim. The most distressing thing about this to me is that They want to close "thier" coast to all fishing. The city of Laguna Beach has no authority to close thier waters because they are not thier waters. Those are our waters they are proposing to close. I haven't been there in years and this chaps me. Can Imperial Beach of Ocean Beach choose to close the state waters that happen to be in front of thier town to fishing? Hell no. Does thier wealth give them more rights to control access to state waters than the rest of us. Maybe. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
LakersFan

I could possibly abide by a decision to close the coast off of Laguna Beach (or anywhere in California for that matter) to fishing if all of the people who are for it agree to move their residences and businesses out of the city with the realization that their existence is causing a far greater impact on the health of the marine environment than recreational fishermen.
LakersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
so cal shaggy

Jim yes, this was a very sickening meeting but do not let it get to you too much what the city does not understand is that they cannot close off state waters. The only area the city can close is the area 10' above the high tide mark and even then it would only affect anglers fishing from the beach you could still dive and launch a kayak from a closed area since if launching or landing your are "in transit" and not fishing. The action the city council (with the exception of the mayor) took was nothing more than something to make the anti fishing and spearfishing factions feel like they won a victory as a retaliation for their ext prop C.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

“I haven’t seen any of the science,” admitted Council member Elizabeth Pearson.

At least this lady admits it. So much of our public policy appears to be a knee-jerk reaction to noise made by the squeakiest wheel. Science or the best interest of the public does not seem to play much of a role in many Government decisions.

We need to become the squeakiest wheel.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Why would anyone even want to fish this God forsaken, over crowded, over fished, barren, lifeless, wasteland, stretch of coastline...........hope to waste my time there again manana.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Sherm

Those poor people on the coast having to look out their windows and see kayaks messing up the view. Just awfull.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
Gino

Its to bad that the city tries as much as they can to polarize themselves. I absolutely dont understand what the closures in Laguna will do for the city of laguna? Thats the biggest irony of this... It stands to gain them nothing.

When i was at the Laguna workshop, I talked to an 80 year old lady, who was thier on behalf and in support of closing all + more of Laguna. I happened to run into her at the proposal B poster hanging on the wall.

A United Anglers affiliate who was thier explained soem of the closures boundries. And said that the SMR for Laguna ended at a sewage pipe witch runs into the ocean. He explained that the area couldnt be included in the laguna SMR becuase it doesnt meet the reuirements (it having a sewage pipe and runoff) witch would be the only place in laguna you could fish from.

The lady standing next to me says, "Dont Lobsters like sewage?" I told her, "why yes, yes they sure do " The lady continued with, "Then thats a great place to put lobster traps and cages, It would be better fishing for Divers"

I closed the conversation with, "Mam, would you eat anything out of your toilet?" She exclaimed, "No I wouldnt" I followed with "Then why would i want to eat out of your toilet?"

She quietly walked away...

Most of the Presarvationist dont really have any idea, or a clue on fish behavior, or habitat. They just want the closures due to there oddly twisted views. they have no real science behind it.

In the midwest and great lakes reason, Anglers and the state fish and Game work hand in hand to maintain thier fisheries. Fishermans' goal is to find and catch fish, witch involves, understanding what fish eat, where and when, habitat, seasonal behaviors etc.

Its a shame the MLPA and the City of Laguna Beach dont feel the same way.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
Zed
BANNED

Hey ice, how dare you fish Laguna w/o calling me!