Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge   Kayak Fishing Supplies

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Johnny Hirn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Preferred rod holders

Hello everyone.
I was thinking of adding a rod holder to my kayak so that I can have a rod up front to soak a mackerel or troll around. I am stuck between getting the Scotty rocket launchers or the Scotty power lock. Does anyone have any advice on this? Other rod holders that are better? All help more than welcomed. I will be mounting on a Malibu x-caliber.
Tight lines
Johnny
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon
 
YakDout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,146
I really like the power locks. Its the only one I’ll ever use. Great for trolling. Keeps the bait and your line out from the kayak a good amount. Almost like outriggers on a boat. If you like to troll two lines at once this is really the way to go because of how far it keeps the lines from each other. Never have a problem with tangles.



If you look close you can see a rod in the starboard power lock here.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.
 
alanw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dana Point
Posts: 1,597
I've always mounted my rod holders pretty far forward near my feet for stroke clearance on my paddlers and knee clearance on my peddlers. After reaching up that far to grab a rod in a holder, I don't have an additional foot or more of reach required to get the rod butt out and clear of the Powerlock or launcher type holders. I tried them all and settled on the Orca as the best for me since it just takes a short lift up to remove the rod. So, I'd say which holder is right for you depends on the mounting location and your reach.
__________________
Hobie PA 14 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Jackson Kraken ¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Malibu X-Factor ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>


Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
Drift421
Junior
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 5
I prefer the Scotty rocket launchers. It is easier to get your rod in and out quicker and the butt off your rod never gets in the way when paddling. Both are are quality product.
Drift421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Johnny Hirn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I really like the power locks. Its the only one I’ll ever use. Great for trolling. Keeps the bait and your line out from the kayak a good amount. Almost like outriggers on a boat. If you like to troll two lines at once this is really the way to go because of how far it keeps the lines from each other. Never have a problem with tangles.



If you look close you can see a rod in the starboard power lock here.
Thanks for the help. In that picture are you using an extension on the rod holder to make it higher?
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Johnny Hirn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I've always mounted my rod holders pretty far forward near my feet for stroke clearance on my paddlers and knee clearance on my peddlers. After reaching up that far to grab a rod in a holder, I don't have an additional foot or more of reach required to get the rod butt out and clear of the Powerlock or launcher type holders. I tried them all and settled on the Orca as the best for me since it just takes a short lift up to remove the rod. So, I'd say which holder is right for you depends on the mounting location and your reach.
Great point. I will have to sit in my yak and see how my reach feels.
Thanks for the help!
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon
 
YakDout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,146
Preferred rod holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hirn View Post
Thanks for the help. In that picture are you using an extension on the rod holder to make it higher?


Yes because I like to troll with the rods perpendicular to the gunwales of the kayak. If there were no extensions, my legs would hit the butts of the rods when I kick. I just use the mini extensions and they are enough to get the butt of the rods high enough.

Last edited by YakDout; 03-03-2018 at 07:23 PM.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
Johnny Hirn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift421 View Post
I prefer the Scotty rocket launchers. It is easier to get your rod in and out quicker and the butt off your rod never gets in the way when paddling. Both are are quality product.
Yeah, I do really like the butt end being out of the way. That is defiantly my dilema. I feel like the power lock his more sturdy and therefore safer.
Thanks for your input!
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Johnny Hirn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Yes because I like to troll with the rods perpendicular to the gunnels of the kayak. If there were no extensions, my legs would hit the butts of the rods when I kick. I just use the mini extensions and they are enough to get the butt of the rods high enough.
Awesome. I think thats what I may have to do. Looks great too!
Tight lines,
Johnny
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #10
NICKWORN
Senior Member
 
NICKWORN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 397
Extended Scottys

I love the extended Scotty’s as well!! Here’s a few pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2F1471C-3EA6-40D5-A30D-E4EC9B4C26E0.jpg (48.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 8B124C2F-D60F-43AA-8576-9976E7DB081B.jpg (69.8 KB, 89 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:06 AM   #11
NICKWORN
Senior Member
 
NICKWORN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 397
I did have to dremel my Scotty’s out a bit to make sliding the thicker deckhand rods in and out easier!!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
NICKWORN
Senior Member
 
NICKWORN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 397
Here an overall look

Love this set up, keeps the two lines way apart for no tangles to worry about!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0EA01AE8-C8E8-482C-A6D8-CF8F51CBF74D.jpg (76.3 KB, 93 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
Johnny Hirn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
I love the extended Scotty’s as well!! Here’s a few pics!
Nice fish and rig!
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
FISH11
Member
 
FISH11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pine Valley when not fishing La Jolla
Posts: 1,880
After using different model and brands of rod holders, the one I use now on all my set ups are Scotty Rocket launchers. I love how well the lock into position with many choices of bases and all the different angles I can put then into. That is what works with a 2016 Mirage drive Hobie Revo or using my 2016 Malibu X Factor and the paddle clearance while trolling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5034.jpg (78.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5023.jpg (51.6 KB, 66 views)
__________________
MARK. HOBIE REVO 13, JACKSON CUDA 14, MALIBU X13, MALIBU X FACTOR
FISH11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #15
tanman
Junior
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6
+ 1 on the Scotty rocket launchers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #16
Kingpen818
Junior
 
Kingpen818's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Lake Elsinore
Posts: 8
The relatively new scotty stealth rod holders are pretty good also yak attack has a new Omega rod holders that looks good.
Kingpen818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.