Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2023, 05:49 AM   #1
Caslo
Junior

Heading out Thursday, best target species?

Hey y'all, long time kayak fisherman, moved down here from norcal to be closer to family, and looking to hop in the yak on Thursday since the surf report seems favorable and conditions will be good.

I was going to go out for rockfish, however the new regs pretty much mean rockfishing is off limits for those of us on kayaks for a little while .

I am thinking I'll probably hit up the La Jolla kelp beds, but I'm unsure which species would be best to target this time of year if rockfish are off limits.

Any suggestions for kelp beds in october with rockfish take not being allowed?

Cheers!

P.S. There's some structure off of San Diegueto beach about a mile offshore. I was originally going to jig for rockfish there on Thursday. Has anyone here tried a surf launch from that dog beach?
Caslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:47 AM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

welcome.

There are a few locations that have deep canyons that allow for rockfishing (out of newport beach is one), but finding a good rock pile out there is very difficult.

I would say that you have a better shot at chasing calicos, sandies, sculpin, and maybe even sand dabs. the dabs can be a far paddle depending on where you are trying to fish, but the other species can all be found in shallower water with kelp around. There is also the option for halibut as they kind of move into the shallower areas this time. Cabrillo beach and dana point are good options.

I haven't been to LJ in years and I heard a lot of the kelp has been demolished. That being said, there is still plenty of rocky structure for some fishing.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:48 AM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

oh also forgot to say. sheephead are still fair game. definitely try them out.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:53 PM   #4
PapaDave

I'd say Bass...

From my outing last Tuesday they are looking hungry and willing to bite. Of course, that's out of Dana Point. You might also try Ocean Side, they have a couple of AR groups off their coastline within reach for a kayak.