Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Cbad Mike

Really??? AGAIN??? NOT COOL!!!

Why are some people so dead set on stirring shit up just to get their name in the news???

The media attention is going to F#CK us all.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/09/13/n...ling-kayakers/
Old 09-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #2
King Saba

Well it is on Fox, a sensational media channel. They just eat that sh*t up.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
taggermike

Fear sells so these videos will continue to be popular. If there is a plus side it might be that these local shark vids show the sharks just being sharks. Circling, checking things out, not hurting people, then usually leaving. As opposed to videos of chummed up sharks behaving aggressively. What concerns me is these videos will draw shark killing "sportsmen" who seam to think killing sharks increases penis size. Enjoy you videos, show em to friends, post em on FB or here but please leave the news out of it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

HOLY CRAP! DO YOU WANT THE LAUNCH CLOSED??
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Kinda Ironic...

Looks like Ryan "Donigan" has been around for quite awhile...He should know better...in fact he does...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=26962

Ok I see you didn't tell the lifeguards about it...great, but you ran and told the news about it....WHY? I realize you were a few miles out...but again why alert the news media...so you saw a shark, so what?! At this point any press about sharks, La Jolla and kayaks is all negative for the future of kayak fishing La Jolla...there is no positive side of showing a shark and a kayakfisherman together....Really!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Looks like Ryan "Donigan" has been around for quite awhile...He should know better...in fact he does...

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=26962
OMFG....you? Who posted that ONLY A WEEK or so ago? WTF, seriously. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Well it is on Fox, a sensational media channel. They just eat that sh*t up.

Haha, what media channel isn't sensationalized?

Everyone wants their 5 minutes of fame. Youtube isn't enough anymore, you have to get your videos on real TV. These guys will be telling their grandkids about being on TV.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
ctfphoto

IF you sold the usage and received a fee from FOX than maybe I'll give you a pass.

IF you gave it to FOX for FREE, then really, you just gave a gazillion dollar company FREE CONTENT, helped with the shark scare, pissed off your fellow kayak brothers, and help to ruin professional photographer fees........
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
DanaPT

Anyone in marketing? LJ needs some damage control. censorship never works.

Seems to me sharks are a great reason to close a launch to a deemed cause to the problem. This would be considered a victory to a lot of people (some LJ locals on this site, mlpa lovers and whoever else opposes what we do).

The media grabs this because of peoples lack of understanding and fear. Mostly fear, they know how to dish out the fear. These clips don't land on their doorstep too often.

What if we gave the media all the shark videos and stories we can muster. 100s of videos. New and HOPEFULLY OLD. Let them realize how often this happens with no "news worthy" outcome.

Just a thought.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
Dannowar

Old 09-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Anyone in marketing? LJ needs some damage control. censorship never works.

Seems to me sharks are a great reason to close a launch to a deemed cause to the problem. This would be considered a victory to a lot of people (some LJ locals on this site, mlpa lovers and whoever else opposes what we do).

The media grabs this because of peoples lack of understanding and fear. Mostly fear, they know how to dish out the fear. These clips don't land on their doorstep too often.

What if we gave the media all the shark videos and stories we can muster. 100s of videos. New and HOPEFULLY OLD. Let them realize how often this happens with no "news worthy" outcome.

Just a thought.

Uhhh....Because the news will turn it into something that it is not....no matter what network it is...
Old 09-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
Harry Hill

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

the media will cherry pick the most gruesome or aggressive of the shark videos and it will just do more damage to our sport.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

I bleed mine out a mile west of kelp, rinse the yak, place in PA hatch and when its time to head back I gut them right around same spot, rinse, repeat and then of course after some sweet pics. I catch amnesia once asked about sharks..
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
MrPatrick

"Shark narked", love it 😅!
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
stoned-trout

ha ha

hook one and let it tow ya round for a bit....I am rigging up some wire leaders soon...yeehaw...haven't fought a hammer since my florida days...ooh my a shark in the ocean well who would of guessed....caught lots of hammers in florida...awesome shark..theres decent size great whites in close too...if your scared stay home

Last edited by stoned-trout; 09-15-2015 at 08:50 AM.
stoned-trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
DONIGAN
Junior

Send a message via MSN to DONIGAN
Kayak Friends-

Do you mind if I make some observations? I posted a thread last week regarding the launch and how lifeguards are asking us to put a fish down or in bags before heading to the launch, then I read some of the posts on this thread and wonder the following: Do you really think that lifeguards, scientists etc are not aware of the Hammerhead population in our local waters? Of course they know and are being interviewed/quoted saying that warm waters as being the reason, not 1 mention of kayak fisherman. Once again, the DIRECT and SPECIFIC concern and told to be in person by the person that can shut the launch down is regarding our personal safety and those on the beach by dragging bleeding fish in our yak, that is it. A quote from the Sgt lifeguard in the article says "Sharks live in the oceans. The ocean is a wild environment and even here in San Diego the sharks are ever present." Does that sound like a person looking to close the beach or is unaware of sharks in our fishing zone? As I mentioned in my other post the lifeguards are watching us from the tower when we come in, making sure we are not trailing hammers for everyone's safety. There is a lot of hype and excitement with hammerheads (and should because they are awesome and rare for us!) and probably equal hype in this radical idea of shutting the the launch down because of reports and coverage of sharks well off the beach. Did everyone read about the kayak fisherman in Malibu who was targeting sharks and hooked a hammerhead that chomped his foot? Was that beach or launch shut down? Doesn't that area have way more MLPA influence? Was fishing suspended at all? Seems like a perfect opportunity to do so... I have read some posts and comments on this site/thread that I see as unnecessary fear regarding our LJ Launch. Are the hammerheads going to be around when cold water comes in 3 weeks? We are all together on how much we love our fishing adventures but I am not going to live in fear of environmentalist's and anti's... Video them, share your experiences and enjoy them until the next El Nino!

Out
DONIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

White Shark Santa BarbaraGreat Whites in Santa Barbara today
Posted by Brian Coryat on Sunday, September 13, 2015
Old 09-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #18
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONIGAN View Post
Kayak Friends-

Do you mind if I make some observations? I posted a thread last week regarding the launch and how lifeguards are asking us to put a fish down or in bags before heading to the launch, then I read some of the posts on this thread and wonder the following: Do you really think that lifeguards, scientists etc are not aware of the Hammerhead population in our local waters? Of course they know and are being interviewed/quoted saying that warm waters as being the reason, not 1 mention of kayak fisherman. Once again, the DIRECT and SPECIFIC concern and told to be in person by the person that can shut the launch down is regarding our personal safety and those on the beach by dragging bleeding fish in our yak, that is it. A quote from the Sgt lifeguard in the article says "Sharks live in the oceans. The ocean is a wild environment and even here in San Diego the sharks are ever present." Does that sound like a person looking to close the beach or is unaware of sharks in our fishing zone? As I mentioned in my other post the lifeguards are watching us from the tower when we come in, making sure we are not trailing hammers for everyone's safety. There is a lot of hype and excitement with hammerheads (and should because they are awesome and rare for us!) and probably equal hype in this radical idea of shutting the the launch down because of reports and coverage of sharks well off the beach. Did everyone read about the kayak fisherman in Malibu who was targeting sharks and hooked a hammerhead that chomped his foot? Was that beach or launch shut down? Doesn't that area have way more MLPA influence? Was fishing suspended at all? Seems like a perfect opportunity to do so... I have read some posts and comments on this site/thread that I see as unnecessary fear regarding our LJ Launch. Are the hammerheads going to be around when cold water comes in 3 weeks? We are all together on how much we love our fishing adventures but I am not going to live in fear of environmentalist's and anti's... Video them, share your experiences and enjoy them until the next El Nino!

Out
What was your motivation for sharing that video with Fox?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #19
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
What was your motivation for sharing that video with Fox?
Exactly!!!

I own a GoPro and take a ton of video.
I love seeing everyone else's video that they post here on BWE.
I don't like seeing detrimental video on the news though.
I don't get why in the world you would feel the need to contact the news especially after obviously reading and posting about the problems associated with the Hammerheads currently in La Jolla.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #20
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONIGAN View Post
Kayak Friends-

Out
I understand your observations, but I do believe you are naive about how powerful and effective the Anti's are at doing their job.

How hard of a sell would it be for the Anti's to poison the public using the local media to go against Kayak Fisherman, with this type of rhetoric and playing the video we just saw ? For Example.......

---The Increased shark sightings in La Jolla are a direct result of irresponsible Kayak Fisherman cleaning their fish irresponsibly.

---Kayak Fisherman are now drawing Hammerhead sharks into the LJ Kiddie Pool where legally protected seals now live.

---Additionally, Kayak Fisherman are increasing risk of shark attack to swimmers, small children and sensitive marine life in the Protected areas of LJ Shores. We need to close the LJ Launch immediately.

The Anti's get public emotion and funding on their side and virtually own the courts and judges. Here's just a sample of their success in hunting;

1. California Lead Hunting - Banned. The Anti's started banning lead via the courts in the California Condor Range 20 yrs ago, stating the Condors were dying of lead poisoning, without One documented case, all based on emotions. All the while they promised they were not going after hunting. Now, the new CA Lead Ban will be statewide by 2019. They Lied, hunters lost. CA Fisherman are next on the Anti's Lead Ban agenda.

2. CA Mountain Lion Hunting - Banned. Can't do it in CA for over 20+ years.

3. CA Bear Hunting with Dogs - Banned. Can't do it in CA.

4. CA Bobcat Trapping - Banned. Law just passed.

You may agree/disagree with hunting or with the above hunting methods, but the point is, the Anti's will use any argument to accomplish their goals. They have proven they hate hunting and fishing and are successful at chipping away at the laws which protect our sports.

Best to Not give the Anti's an inch or they will take a mile+.

....my .02 cents
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote