Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
octico

Newbie ... lessons learned!

This is just my observation take it for whats worth! Today was my first time out on a yak. Things you MAY want to do:

1. If you are not launching from the surf or rough water, not everything has to be tethered or strapped down.

2. Get a radio ... cheap one should do for now.

3. Be mindful of you rigs. I thought it would be smart to have all my rigs set up before fishing, only to find out once we got on the fish I had all three rods tangled.

4. Bring a cup to pee in.

5. Last and most important bring more than 4 beers with you, 6 max! You can offer one to close friend for bait

Please take this for what its worth I am just a newb!

Last edited by octico; 03-30-2014 at 08:04 AM.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Raskal311

I flipped in the harbor on my first trip... tether everything! Who needs a cup when you fog an ocean to pee in?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

There's been many lists of first things to do or bring, but yours is the most practical. There was a day I wasn't able to make bait, beer saved me. The cup is smart too, unless you're able to stand or at least get to your knees then a cup makes life easier.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
todd one

I just flipped in the bay about three weeks ago. The unexpected can happen in the blink of an eye. A fish snatched my rod out of the boat, I reached over the side for it, and I was in the water and the boat was up side down in a fraction of a second. I lost a seeker / avet comb and a Shimono combo, and a list of other items. I discovered my Seeker Hurcules series floats that day. So it doesn't hurt to be safe. I know I'll be leashed from now on.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I flipped the yak yesterday too in the surf. Rode it in perfect and when I went to hop out in 2'of water my shorts got caught on my FF bracket and the yak got pulled over instantly. Lost $14 pliers, $4 jig, and an old grungy knife. Consider myself lucky considering there were a few other items not strapped down.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

If someone offers me beer for bait... Tecate or Coors Light or some other weaksauce beer might get you the ones that are barely kicking on their sides, and maybe even an "accidental" splashing from my paddle. Bring good beer!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
FISH11

Great lessons learned on that trip. The best one was #5. Yeah when working out either paddling or pedaling a Kayak, your body has no problem processing a larger number of beers in 4 hours. If you're out in La Jolla for 11 hours, 6 might not be enough. #4 on the list is also a good one, some guys use a gatorade bottle. If you don't empty it right away it might be a good idea to label it or permanent marker on the side, the intended use. On my older Malibu X Factor they have a scupper directly in front of the seat. That is one of the best features, never have to move or kneel down or use a bottle. #1 on the list is not correct as Wilderness Wanker stated, it's best to have leashes on all expensive gear. All it takes is one quick unintended move and you're in the water. I think it was Jim Sammons who said "where your head goes your body goes". Almost every trip is some new lesson learned. Tight Lines!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Great lessons learned on that trip. The best one was #5. Yeah when working out either paddling or pedaling a Kayak, your body has no problem processing a larger number of beers in 4 hours. If you're out in La Jolla for 11 hours, 6 might not be enough. #4 on the list is also a good one, some guys use a gatorade bottle. If you don't empty it right away it might be a good idea to label it or permanent marker on the side, the intended use. On my older Malibu X Factor they have a scupper directly in front of the seat. That is one of the best features, never have to move or kneel down or use a bottle. #1 on the list is not correct as Wilderness Wanker stated, it's best to have leashes on all expensive gear. All it takes is one quick unintended move and you're in the water. I think it was Jim Sammons who said "where your head goes your body goes". Almost every trip is some new lesson learned. Tight Lines!
I think I'm to blame on setting a bad example on #1. I have a hard time getting all of my gear tangled in my leashes so I opt out. I know allot of guys have allot more invested in their equipment then me though. I know it's a matter of time before I lose some stuff. I've just excepted it. The only time I've come close to tipping was because I couldn't get my rod leash untangled behind me. I think the most important checklist is the safety measures. Vhf, pfd and any other 3 letter abbreviation you can come up with are a valuable thing to have on board. All the things you don't need until you need them

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
FISH11

I agree with William #1 is safety. PDF, VHF, Cell Phone, Water, and a flash light or other way to signal help if it's getting late. After all, with out worrying about safety there might not be a next trip!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
This is just my observation take it for whats worth! Today was my first time out on a yak. Things you MAY want to do:

1. If you are not launching from the surf or rough water, not everything has to be tethered or strapped down.

2. Get a radio ... cheap one should do for now.

3. Be mindful of you rigs. I thought it would be smart to have all my rigs set up before fishing, only to find out once we got on the fish I had all three rods tangled.

4. Bring a cup to pee in.

5. Last and most important bring more than 4 beers with you, 6 max! You can offer one to close friend for bait

Please take this for what its worth I am just a newb!

I bring a bunch of cigars and a flask of 25y.o. Bourbon!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I bring a bunch of cigars and a flask of 25y.o. Bourbon!
FFY
I tried that one time. I don't get sick too often but cigars on the ocean don't agree with me

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
619-SWIM-DOG

Here is a good link for kayak fishing checklist

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/...checklist.html

I tie down everything, don't
Think it won't happen to you, it will. I always have my PFD on, what use is it if its not on. I always have a knife on my PFD or strapped to my leg. The best advice I was given was don't rush into this sport. Learn to walk before you try to run. Safety should be first on everyone's list. You can't fish if your injured or dead.

PFD, food, water, rope, signaling Mirror, whistle, license, extra parts for the mirage drive, phone, VHF, hand pump if I take on water, knife, sun block, dress in layers, float plan. I know I'm missing a couple
other things I take out.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
YakAttak

Yes. Tie down everything and PFD on all the time.
I was on recreational rental kayaks a lot of time and never was even close to being flipped, which gave me the ignorance of not leashing my gears and stuffs the first time after I owned a kayak. I was in the bay and thought I wouldn't flip so easily but I flipped twice that day and lost literally everything, over a thousand dollars worth of fishing gears. I was only able to recover sfuffs those float like my slipppers, paddle, tackle box. Hard lesson learned , it's happens in a blink of an eye so be safe .
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

bring loads of common sense and leave your ego your pride and arrogance at home
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
87yota4runner

When your moving at a decent pace and decide to turn 90 degrees by putting your paddle in the drink, don't turn it backwards thinking you'll turn faster. Pulls you straight in... about 15 feet from shore...right in front of a cutie in a bikini....in a bunch of algae....lesson learned
Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
octico

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I launched with every tethered down only to find out that I almost flipped my yak trying to untangle the mess. I know I am still a newb to this sport, so I have a lot to learn still.

The gear I brought was rather old and nothing fancy. If I were fishing with nice gear then yeah I will start tethering those items down. I will take notes on all the advice from everyone on this thread and take into consideration on my next trip.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 AM   #17
Mongo Johnson

Am trying one of these. Seems a good deal for the price. OEX has some nice stuff in shop too.