Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
stephenG

There is a state camp site off of Cristanitos rd exit just north of the Base. It has access to the trestles beach area. But I would guess its packed due to the long weekend. Same stands true for most any public camp area.
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
momo fish

Yup.. afaid to head home and face the music as i have been calling around trying to find open spots.. my only hope at this point is to pack all my camp gear and kayak and drive to the different areas to see if anyone cancelled and if there is open spots..

worst case hotels which my wife loves, but me and my 2 boys prefer to sleep outdoors in our tents and read books or watch outdoor shows on the ipad..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenG View Post
There is a state camp site off of Cristanitos rd exit just north of the Base. It has access to the trestles beach area. But I would guess its packed due to the long weekend. Same stands true for most any public camp area.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
momo fish

Appreaciate everyones help in this, especially the info on the camp site by the base.. told all my co-workers today and they are looking into it for summer.. will be checking the site all day on the road so anymore suggestions for where to camp or kayak close to Carlsbad, Oceanside and down to LJ area would be helpful..
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
beef78
Large Member

I have camped at Pendleton and at the San Onofre State Beach. I don't think the military beach is open to public. The State Beach, however, is. I liked camping there, but you have to dive to another place to launch your kayak. Unless you want to wheel your kayak down a cliff trail about a half mile long. It's only about a mile away from the campground. Watch out for surfers. MOST IMPORTANT: Both campgrounds are pretty close to the train tracks, so you might wake up in the middle of the night from that. And, if you go to the state beach, look at google maps before you reserve a site and make sure it's not close to the border patrol checkpoint on the adjacent freeway or you will hear their announcing circuit all night.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
momo fish

After a couple hours of online search and calling, nothing except possibly some walk up camp sites at some of the beaches that i would need to go speak to ranger in the morning.. Saw a place called Crystal Cove State Park that i never heard of but pictures look amazing.. (and protected for easy launch).. just need to look into how fishing is out there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef78 View Post
I have camped at Pendleton and at the San Onofre State Beach. I don't think the military beach is open to public. The State Beach, however, is. I liked camping there, but you have to dive to another place to launch your kayak. Unless you want to wheel your kayak down a cliff trail about a half mile long. It's only about a mile away from the campground. Watch out for surfers. MOST IMPORTANT: Both campgrounds are pretty close to the train tracks, so you might wake up in the middle of the night from that. And, if you go to the state beach, look at google maps before you reserve a site and make sure it's not close to the border patrol checkpoint on the adjacent freeway or you will hear their announcing circuit all night.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #26
FishNinjaY

This isn't exactly the location you wanted... and
this may be full also... but maybe give Irvine Lake a call?

They have campsites, but might be already full also. No extra charge to launch kayaks.

It's a private lake, so even if you already have a license, you still have to pay to fish, per day. Kinda sucks, and a little expensive. But, maybe you'll get lucky.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #27
momo fish

True... been there before just to fish with kids..

If i had more time, would of rented an RV but looks like most places are booked so wont even bother.. Used to rent a neighbors RV for years before he moved out of state.. that was nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
This isn't exactly the location you wanted... and
this may be full also... but maybe give Irvine Lake a call?

They have campsites, but might be already full also. No extra charge to launch kayaks.

It's a private lake, so even if you already have a license, you still have to pay to fish, per day. Kinda sucks, and a little expensive. But, maybe you'll get lucky.