Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
LipRipper
Junior

Constantley getting bit off

So I hooked into what I thought was Mobey Dick today all to get bit off after about 6-7 minutes of fighting himand quite a few choice words. Even the guys in the boat next to me made a comment about how big that fish was. I have been fishing a lot out of Sd Bay targeting Halibut but I get bit off probably 6 times a day on average. I am knew to kayak fishing/saltwater fishing in general and I was wondering what you all use as far as a leader or something to prevent this from happening. Oh yeah....I have been using mainly swim baits but have had some luck on other plastics as well. I appreciate the replies.
Thanks,
LipRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I am using Seaguar fluorocarbon. It's wicked strong stuff.

http://www.seaguar.com/products/fluoro-premier.htm
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Gino

For Halibut, use 30lb mono/floro for deep water
use 20lb mono/floro for Shalow water

Make Halibut Rigs
27lb Seven strand Sevlon coated Wire, Sevenstrand A2 Crimps.

For Swimbaits, The heavier line should help. maybe a little wider gap hook, will help get the hookset in the mouth. Only Time a Halibut can bite you off is if the Swimbait is hooked deep and his teeth are around the line.

Good Luck!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LipRipper View Post
So I hooked into what I thought was Mobey Dick today all to get bit off after about 6-7 minutes of fighting himand quite a few choice words. Even the guys in the boat next to me made a comment about how big that fish was. I have been fishing a lot out of Sd Bay targeting Halibut but I get bit off probably 6 times a day on average. I am knew to kayak fishing/saltwater fishing in general and I was wondering what you all use as far as a leader or something to prevent this from happening. Oh yeah....I have been using mainly swim baits but have had some luck on other plastics as well. I appreciate the replies.
Thanks,
What size and brand of line are you using? What gear? Even good quality line can feel like it snaps easily if the gear it's on is too heavy. Is this in the bay or LJ?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Kesepton

Check your knots!! Sometimes, its the knot, make sure youre always wetting it before you cinch down, and use a good knot that wont slip, like the palomar.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesepton View Post
Check your knots!! Sometimes, its the knot, make sure youre always wetting it before you cinch down, and use a good knot that wont slip, like the palomar.
X2 - with the palomar make sure the line doesn't cross over itself
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
LipRipper
Junior

What size and brand of line are you using? What gear? Even good quality line can feel like it snaps easily if the gear it's on is too heavy. Is this in the bay or LJ?

This is in the Bay and i am using Abu Garcia Revo reels on medium heavy rods. I am using a lighter line because I have been fishing a lot for bass as well but when I feel the line it isn't my knots and the line isn't stretched it is definitely severed.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
LipRipper
Junior

not my knots I always use a palomar knot and I always wet my line....and I make sure it doesn't cross over itself.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
Billy V

Seaguar Fluro is strong leader
Blackwater Fluro is also good

---------------------------------------

Try the San Diego Jam Knot, its stronger than the Palomar.

Tie them both and test them to failure....you'll see for yourself.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Useful Idiot

Quote:

This is in the Bay and i am using Abu Garcia Revo reels on medium heavy rods. I am using a lighter line because I have been fishing a lot for bass as well but when I feel the line it isn't my knots and the line isn't stretched it is definitely severed.
If you're fishing light line on a medium/heavy rod you're likely putting too much pressure on the line without even noticing it, making it seem like it's snapping without much pressure. I would either go up in line size or go down in rod weight.

It's not real common to be getting bit off six or seven times a day unless you're getting into barracuda or sharks or something. My guess is your gear is too heavy for the line you're fishing. Play around with that and see what happens.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

seaguar cures FLC Fish Loss Cancer
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:

How light of line are you using? The lightest line I use in the bay is 8# and that's on my dropshot rod, all my other rods are 12 to 15# and never have been busted off. If I'm going after the toothy kinds of fish I use a knot Double Overhand knot that leaves a little loop with a circle hook so the hook kind of swings free, and the set goes into the corner of the mouth. Circle hooks are nice, but some find them to be tricky to use. You don't swing to set the hook you just start reeling and it sets itself in the corner of the fishes mouth and is free of the teeth. I use this for live bait as well as swimbaits. The only thing that has busted me off using this setup is a Cuda out in the kelp. I've caught Ling cods and Halibut on this setup.

I would recommend stepping up your line weight, our bay bass are not that line shy.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
taggermike

I don't mean any disrespect, but you really need to check your knots. It's unusual to hook a halibut deep in the mouth even on bait and with plastics it hardly ever happens. The chances of 6 halibut in one day getting a swim bait that far in their mouths is astranomical. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I don't mean any disrespect, but you really need to check your knots. It's unusual to hook a halibut deep in the mouth even on bait and with plastics it hardly ever happens. The chances of 6 halibut in one day getting a swim bait that far in their mouths is astranomical. Mike
I agree with this, something else is going on here. Gotta be the knots or the gear.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
wade

i dont know whats the problem here,..
but i DO want to know the gps coordinates to this spot that holds these massive door mats for F's sake!?!...
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #16
ken aguilar

Im wtih wade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
i dont know whats the problem here,..
but i DO want to know the gps coordinates to this spot that holds these massive door mats for F's sake!?!...
ken aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #17
baitcasterboy20

flurocarbon is probably the best line to use as leader. seaguar makes a good line. maybe you could use heavier leader, if your in a spot with objects that the fish can cut you off with
baitcasterboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
lamb

25-30 floro will do good with halibut. You'd have to mess something up to loose big halibut on that kind of line.

If fishing lighter line for bass and loosing butts, tie a thicker leader?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
GregAndrew

I don't use anything larger than #25 leader for Halibut fishing. They only have grabbing teeth, not incisors, so they really cannot bite you off. Your line could rub over the teeth tips and fray though. I have hooked and many times lost Leopard and Thresher sharks while fishing for Halibut which I think might be happening to you too. They too have small teeth spaced apart, but the shape makes it easier for them to cut your line. Knot tying is very important as has been stated, but equally important is to check your leader for wear on a regular basis and replacing as needed. Also, a lighter rod, especially if you use braid, is important to absorb the energy of the Halibut headshake. If your rod and braid don't give, all the shock is put on your leader. Just my 2 cents.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote