Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
Weso
Junior

Toss up Outback or Compass

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one. I’m kinda leaning towards the compass. I feel like I won’t really need a front hatch and I’m 99% gonna use it for ocean fishing with waves like Leo and Deer creek and Old oil piers so lots of beach break. What’s your thoughts? I know the dealers are trying to push the outbacks.
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one. I’m kinda leaning towards the compass. I feel like I won’t really need a front hatch and I’m 99% gonna use it for ocean fishing with waves like Leo and Deer creek and Old oil piers so lots of beach break. What’s your thoughts? I know the dealers are trying to push the outbacks.
Those new outbacks look hefty. Compass looks decent, and the MD 180 is great but not mandatory. Nice stable platform, and my front hatch only holds the duffel i use to haul my gear down, my bilge pump, and a dry bag.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
kevbeer

I certainly appreciate the reduced carry weight of the compass...the outback kicks my ass taking it on and off my small SUV roof. I was actually at Fastlane kayak in mission bay SD today and saw the passport 12 is only $1600...I could see how people would be interested in that.
kevbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

The outback is a better fishing machine imo. You may also check out the other options are the market outside of Hobie. I bought an outback at the end of winter and I kind of regret not looking further into the other peddle drive offerings on the market (i.e. the old town predator, etc.), A couple of my buddies have them and they look rad. The instant reverse is money when we are rock fishing/structure fishing.

If it's a lock between the outback and the compass, I think the outback is the more comfortable platform. I looked into a compass and in order to do everything I wanted to do with it I was going to be in the hole an additional few hundred bucks. Those little side areas on the outback for tackle boxes and the larger center hatch really are very handy. And the molded in "trays" along the gunnel are convenient for putting your stuff when moving or rigging.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
filippo

I love my Lightning Strike! SUPER stable, well made, and love the extra upgrades/tweaks from the older gen Outback (2016-2018). Def better than the Compass, but not better than the newer Outback IMO, I say it sits in the middle. Can't beat the price either.
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
The outback is a better fishing machine imo. You may also check out the other options are the market outside of Hobie. I bought an outback at the end of winter and I kind of regret not looking further into the other peddle drive offerings on the market (i.e. the old town predator, etc.), A couple of my buddies have them and they look rad. The instant reverse is money when we are rock fishing/structure fishing.

If it's a lock between the outback and the compass, I think the outback is the more comfortable platform. I looked into a compass and in order to do everything I wanted to do with it I was going to be in the hole an additional few hundred bucks. Those little side areas on the outback for tackle boxes and the larger center hatch really are very handy. And the molded in "trays" along the gunnel are convenient for putting your stuff when moving or rigging.
I have the out back predator pdl carried on a trailer and it is a beast but I carry it fully loaded. I put boondox on it to help me move it and I'm designing a front dolly so I can pull it without supporting all the weight. It would help if the boon dox actually carried the load under the seat instead of so far back. It rolls nice but most of the weight is forward of the wheels. I'm seventy one so car topping is no longer an option, also my truck is a 4x4 Ram 3500, too high for this old man. If I go by myself I have a slide in rack for the 8' bed that does great and I only have to lift my yak about 4' to the tailgate. I'm looking forward to my first La Jolla trip on it.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
Mystochristo

I have a 2013 outback and I love it! Very stable, a good amount of leg room when not peddling. I do use the front hatch for my backpack. I recommend outback
Mystochristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #8
spudleydoright
Junior

I have the Outback as well and highly recommend it. I use the front hatch a lot more than I thought I would. It holds my battery as well as my wheels when I break down my cart. I've also put an extra jacket and a beach towel in there as well. The outback is stable and I'm easily able to access the storage while on the water.
spudleydoright is offline   Reply With Quote