Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
ChefT

First Launch ...LJ

So after staring at the LJ kelp beds from the dinning room of George's at the cove for a year and a 51# wsb my uncle caught back in April... I sold half of my other toys and took some birthday money and hooked my self up with a new hobie outback and some gear...i was all pumped to go out last saturday but after getting to the launch at 6am i said.. hum... I should of brought a surf board. but i wanted to test this boat out so said lets go fish SD bay.

Now yesterday the 1st was a different story.
after about 3 hours of sleep and the anticipating adrenaline rush of launching i would get my chance. I met my uncle "wolfman" at his pace at 4:30 and did some last minute loading and headed down to la jolla.

we pull up and think to my self ..... sweet doesn't look like last saturday......
3 min latter..... hummm wheres that surf board.... f#$k it im here were going. so after unloading, all suited up, rig all rigged... i stand knee deep looking at the <><> "double black diamond"...

and then...... i see ... i think.... yep..... MIke...GO...
hop my fat ass in the outback ...and charged it..hard.
cleared a few small rollers...... a lil white water still charging...
then i hear my uncle yell..... and i look back and realized that my adrenaline got the best of me and i was like 150 yards of the shore.....

So i pull out my coffee turn around and head back towards him.
so we re-group talk a lil strategy ad head out.... then... i hear my uncle yell
F*&k... his fin broke on launch... we asses the situation.... we aint turning around.... im feeling strong with 3 hours of sleep.... f-it .. I'll tow ya....
(thank you hobie for such a bad ass boat). so while im towing, his fixing his
fin with a zip tie, then fishing for bait.. needless to say we get out to the far south side of point.....(swells were really nice ...at that time 1-2 rollers...)
im 50 yards off my uncles yak jiging at some small bait surfacing then i here him yell fish on...

i cruise over towards him and see him fighting then he yells out "its another Bass".... gets it near ...gaffs it up .. Dinners up ...... so we dock up together...crack open some coronas, eat some lunch, change some gear... and by that time 11:20... swells were getting gnarly. like 8" rollers throwing the outback around...
so with dinner caught, and a gimpy fin we limped back...much thanks to the wind. so we boat up to the break line secure some finale stuff feel it out and i hear my uncle yell again..... " That shitty ass zip tie broke.." Go in go in...
So with the blood pumping i find what appears to be a break and start charging the hobie .....oh shit.... cant steer in the white water....almost tipped.. pull up fins..... hop out let a few waves pass see my uncle chest deep pushing his through the surf like a beast.." thank god he has a adventure..i run my boat up shore..and there was that rush again....ohh
i love it ...its like boarding utah powder....

So ... all in all it was a great day...no one crashed. uncle caught dinner
and that was that ....

ohh yea for dinner...

WSB cevichie, spring onions, lime, peppers and avocado, cillantro

Pan roasted with summer succotash and caramelized onion and cherry tomato sauce ...

.... oh yea.. thanks for all the info on this site to all that have contributed...

2 more things....

1. to all those anglers out there that take their pictures of their dead fish by holding it solely by its head or tail..... STOP...it tears the meat inside.....and respect your fish .. hold it with two hands...As a chef one thing i hate to see is when fish has been treated miss poorly.

2. when i get my yellowtail next week im going to do photo posting on what is known as salt freezing.... trust me its the best way, and all you need is zip-lock baggies, 2-3# salt and h20. After the fish is filleted down, portion bag and seal. make solution and your prize catch will freeze properly in 4-8 min. done right the solution gets 5 degrees. way, way, better then no mater how or wich way you wrap it. way better then just a vac seal and freeze.. i do this with alot of sardines at work and is amazing. if any one wants a lesson or demo just ask ..... comes free with some fishing advice and tips from ya .....

anyways.....

Happy fishing

Last edited by ChefT; 06-03-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Thanks for the post Chef. Taking care of Uncle = good karma coming at you soon!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
yakrider

great story...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Welcome to the site and great story Chef! You kept the important words in the story, -enough to follow. We want to hear more on your "salt-freezing" process though.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
rogersmith

nice report Chef, hope the PFD worked out well on its first trip with you!
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote