Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
blitzburgh

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun!!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Great in-depth report 👏

Thanks for sharing 👍
Old 08-01-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
Mahigeer

Thanks.

Glad it is being liked.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Cool adventure.
Thanks for sharing.
Gotta love those Sea of Cortez sun rises🌞
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Nice documentation of your visit to Rancho Buena Vista. Sad to see the Marlin get harvested, but I imagine it was food for Valentino's family, and sympathize with the temptation. You noted that Valentino chose to clean it at sea and I imagine the lodge would have frowned on him for harvesting a traditionally released fish that bring the lodge its livelihood. I experienced a similar situation in Cabo where a fish was clubbed before I could express my desire to have it released.

In places like Costa Rica and Guatemala, it's against the law to remove a billfish from the water. Photos are taken of the fish in the water to increase the likelihood of survival. Satellite tag studies documented the increased mortality for billfish removed from the water. Since then there is also a law for Atlantic Federal waters making it illegal to remove a billfish from the water that is not intended for harvest. Sadly, This law is frequently abused off Florida.

Fish photos always look better when the fish are alive and full of color. With the lure hanging from their month, It tells the viewer even more about the catch. It's more challenging to hold up a lively Mahi, but If you can master that, your documentation will be that much more interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #6
Mahigeer

Thank you for your positive comments, but some corrections need to be made.

There is a Rancho Buna Vista.
However, it is different than Buna Vista Beach Resort (where I was). See my link for YouTube video.

As to Marlin, I was told by everyone that it was a good eating fish. And since it was a legal catch, I feel no regrets as to keeping it. I had no issue with the lodge either. As the picture #8 shows, they have a rope from a structure to hang Marlins for pictures. Next time all Marlins will be released.

To save Marlins, there should not be big money tournaments, or use of any lure/bait that may attract them.
Catch and release just to take pictures puts undo stress on the fish, by building lactic acid in their body.

Chasing Marlin for pictures should be banned worldwide.
Otherwise rest of the suggestions are just lip service.

I also do not want to take a chance of getting hooked by the lure as the live fish thrashes its head about. Ruin an expensive trip.
I could take picture of the lures used, but each captain/guide provides his own lures, so not sure it is useful. Actually, if I had known, I would not have taken a bunch of lures with me last time.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I would gladly fill my freezer

With a marlin and pay to have it vacuum packed
If I could not fill it with tuna or yellow tail ect.
Ate my first marlin in 1972 and all through the 70s and 80s it was in the freezer growing up as a teenager, like a deer 🦌 for some, meat for the winter. Over seas commercial fishing is what is hurting the population.
They can be a problem wahoo fishing, when they come in in packs and take over. I think we released 25 on the boat I was on. I broke two off not wanting to keep them one spooled a 25n penn fathom and I had to thumb the spool and snap the line right at the ring and leave it with a 18in wire leader and hook. The other i made jump until it broke off. They put on a hell of a show, every where under the boat. I see why they say get welded rings and not stamped rings. I like stripped marlin grilled with thousand island dressing. And smoked is good to. Marlin is a dry fish I bet chefs could make a killer wet sauce to go with it.
Being a game fish your not supposed to commercial fish
But I guess it does not apply to foreign countries because there docks are full of them.
Ps chest freezer turned off eating chicken quarters, pork blade steaks, store bought canned albacore and going easy on the beef..wish I had me a marlin in the freezer.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-02-2022 at 02:53 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote