Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

Chest waders for me. Make sure the belts tight enough to not let in too much water in case of flipping. Friend of mine almost died once when his waders were filling with water. Not good.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Chest waders for me. Make sure the belts tight enough to not let in too much water in case of flipping. Friend of mine almost died once when his waders were filling with water. Not good.
I went for a mile long ride in the Rogue River with my belt cinched down.

As far as water proofing, I have over seven years into a pair of Redington waders and they are dry as ever. Quality goes a long way. They are on their way out, but I got my $150 worth for sure. Don't skimp.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
SMartin

I use a dry suit with rash guard underneath in the cooler weather. I did a six day sea kayaking trip in Washington State a couple months ago and a farmer john wetsuit with rash guard top and dry top were perfect. Staying warm is an individual thing so you may need to layer more. I am always hot so, less is more for me. Good luck in your endeavors.
SMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
dbxwanderer
Junior

Thanks for the great advice.
I went with the Stohlquist Treads Paddling Pants and Jacket. Hopefully combined with some sweat pants, neoprene boots, and a shirt, I should stay warm enough. I figure a beanie should be good for head warmth, anything for hands? or not necessary?
dbxwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbxwanderer View Post
Thanks for the great advice.
I went with the Stohlquist Treads Paddling Pants and Jacket. Hopefully combined with some sweat pants, neoprene boots, and a shirt, I should stay warm enough. I figure a beanie should be good for head warmth, anything for hands? or not necessary?
I got some gloves just to keep from chafing my hands on long paddling sessions. Not sure if you're paddling or pedaling, but I think think gloves are a nice touch either way.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
PescadorPete

I'm a cold weather weenie. So for me, Kokatat pants with polyester sweatpants (no cotton!), smart wool socks and light weight dive booties. On top is a polypro rash guard, polyester fleece sweatshirt and Kokatat splash jacket. Wool watch cap. I can peel off the layers as needed. I haven't felt the need for gloves. Keeps me toasty warm at 0:dark:30 waiting for the to bite. Oh, and a few granola bars keep the internal furnace burning.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote