Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
trige
Junior

07/12 LaJolla Nice YT

My second time here and with all the buzz about YT in the area, I make the trip down with my good friend Albert (fishingfiend).

Like every fishing story, there are long drawn out behind-the-scenes events that goes along with it. I will keep it brief.

Albert and I headed out around 9:30A, along the way out to the NW corner, we attempt to catch bait, which was slow going at best, Albert is able to get a couple of Spanish macs. Continuing on out, we see Team Sewer on their way in, they had one on the books and were nice enough to offer us their remaining bait. Being relatively introverted, I passed on the offer, but Albert took him up and we had a total of 2 Spanish and 4 Greenies, here we go!

Props to Team Sewer for giving us their remaining bait.

Albert gives me 2 greenies and now i'm trolling.

Fast forward - I lose BOTH mackerel, one to a sealion and another to drifting kelp, doh!

Having no live bait, and now my eyes are glued to the meter because I'm about to throw down some iron. I had a large one tied on, and seeing some good marks I start throwing it. WHAM!! Hook-UP!! - What?! 12" Greenie all three hooks stuck in its mouth. I get the hooks out and immediately put it on the fly line, it's a BIG mackerel, but I'm hoping to catch a big fish! I'm now trolling again, and still throwing the iron, WHAM!! 15" Mackerel!! I finally decide that it's getting late and start heading back.

On the way back, single mark on the meter. I'm still trolling 12" greenie. I circle around, maybe 150 yards... nothing. I continue on. About a minute later... Weee... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
Hook Up!!

This part was long, but here's the short version - About 90% into the fight, another YT seeker comes up (I saw him watching me fight this fish from afar) and says "You have a seal incoming, better land him quick..."
At this point we already know it's a decent sized YT. Albert is FINALLY here after much cursing on the radio trying to get him over to help me.

10 Death circles and the YT bolts, we see him 100yds away in the mouth of the friggen seal!! The YT seeker, who we now know is Oscar, high-tails it over toward the sealion and throws a bunch of dead bait in the water! The fish is released and he's yelling go-go-go!! At this point, screw the line, if it breaks it breaks, not only am I reeling this thing in, I'm pumping the mirage drive as fast as it will go, toward the fish!! Albert's right next to me with the gaff!

Props to Oscar for his quick thinking, and for being a complete stranger willing to help out! MUCH appreciated!
Props to Albert for finally getting his ASS over to me, and helping me land this fish, and for taking some great photos.

Props to El Nino and Mother nature, thank you for this nice fish!

-Rob
trige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
double p

nice catch report rob (especially for someone that says he's introverted) and props to the dudes that helped out
double p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:28 AM   #3
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Nice grade of fish!!!

Good Work!!!

New to the game myself...kayak fisherman that I've met have been super friendly.

Great job - Team Sewrer for helping out a newbie!

Geno
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
taggermike

Nice fish and a great team effort. Gotta love our kayak community. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Great story! Nice feeeesh!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
cell128
lizard king

Nice!! Last time I was there I was losing a lot of greenies to those freaking dogs so for the hell of it I trolled a surface iron... A few minutes a huge 16" Mac hits it. Trolled him for a while but was already on the way out that thing was all over the place too
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
yemff

you sure those werent small bonito?
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Congrats on the fish. The survey girl at the launch told me that she had only seen 3 (including mine) all morning. You are welcome for the bait, only wish it turned into something more.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Oxbeast1210

Congrats brother im glad you were able to land it!! I figured since I wasn't catching anything the least I could do is help a fellow fisherman out! I didn't end up catching anything but glad someone hooked up

The darn seals are starting to team up so we gotta stick together .

Nice meeting you and hope to see you out on the water again!

Oscar
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
Oxbeast1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemff View Post
you sure those werent small bonito?
I was thinking that too until my buddy caught one the same size right where he told us.
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote