Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Phikayaks
Junior

Post Seasickness question., plz help if possible.

Okay so me and my buddy have never gotten sea sick the last times we went out to the ocean. But for the last two times we went out there we keep getting seasick, feeling like a lil b**ch. Just wondering if anyone is getting that too. Cause i see a bunch out there looking fine. We have a tamarack anglers kayak, lil chepapo one. Could it be our kayaks? Recently they feel alot rockier and unstable. I feel like i would fall off if i move a little to the side. Also the kayaks are kept out doors, dunno if that affects it......thanks much for any help.

While I'm at it, is buying one off those higher end kayaks really make a difference in speed and handle....hobie.....
Phikayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
HobieScot

Try Bonine
My fishing buddy gets sea sick just looking at the water. He has tried everything, Dramamine, ginger, pressure point wrist bands and nothing seems to work for him besides the Bonine. Plus it doesn't make you drowsy like the others seem to.

Or you can go to your doctor and get the patch that you put behind your ear

A lot of divers swear by them!

Luckily I have never experienced sea sickness "knock on wood"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

What can help is trying not to stare down too long. If you are looking down trying to tie a knot, mess with tackle, etc for a long time and start feeling nauseated, look up and out for a while. Staying hydrated is another big key and maybe try not eating a giant greasy breakfast burrito in the AM. I fought sea sickness mentally years ago and have not been sick since. I told myself I wasn't about to give up on the hobby for something such as getting sick. The reason I never wanted to start taking a pill or putting on a patch is because I didn't want to be reliant on that. If your body is so used to getting doped up on the water and you never build a self-tolerance to sea sickness, the one time you forget the meds you will be in trouble.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
ctfphoto

I use to get very seasick all the time. 100% cure is the patch from a doctor, very well worth it.

That said, After on it a while, I started reusing the patch for up to four trips. Then I cut them in half. Then quarters.

Then I quit cold turkey about two years ago. Used ginger cookies at first but didn't need them.

I have full on sea legs now and it is the most awesome feeling. It is all in the brain. Confidence is a must. Don't look down or at objects on the boat. Only look at the horizon line. Your looking for Birds anyway.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Only time I've ever even started feeling queezy is when looking down for a while when retying a knot. Always look at the steady horizon.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Dave Legacy

I'm no doubt an extreme case, but I got violently seasick 90 minutes into a full day charter on the prescribed patch. I can't deal with motion at all, but for some odd reason I've not been sick on a kayak; My time with the hobby is still young! The times I have started to notice it coming on I've been able to respond by chewing on ginger with great success.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I'm no doubt an extreme case, but I got violently seasick 90 minutes into a full day charter on the prescribed patch. I can't deal with motion at all, but for some odd reason I've not been sick on a kayak; My time with the hobby is still young! The times I have started to notice it coming on I've been able to respond by chewing on ginger with great success.
Ginger is pretty good, her sister is hot too. All kidding aside, some folks can take the big swells and not the flat days. Others are just the opposite. Sympathy illness is common with sea sickness also (one guy starts more people getting sick). I have seen guys get sick just watching another guy choke down the heart of their first Tuna. There are lots of tricks, like focusing afar, that can and do help many avoid getting sick. I try not to eat much before I launch, and only snack on the water. The position I am in on my yak is not real good for digestion, but great for causing acid stomach.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
taggermike

Over the counters like bonine and Dramamine work well but like others said, they can leave you drowsy. I've never used the patch but several of my buddies that have and swear by it. There's also a scopalamine pill now called scopase that is supposed to be great. I get seasick on boats very rarely. Never ever on a kayak. The motion of a boat is different than a kayak. Yaks go up n down and wobble a bit. Boats can do big heavy rolls from side to side. Those can get to me. So I guess what I'm saying is changing kayaks won't help you. I've been surfing 35 years and have never heard of a surfer getting seasick. Smaller things move differently Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
dsutter775
Malibu X Factor

Take Bonine before you go to bed the night before. Then when you wake up in the morning, then again a half hour before the trip. Gets in your system well in advance and it works. From there you need to take it every 2-4 hours....
dsutter775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:27 AM   #10
Rufus

Been on the water most of my 60 years, but I am also a champion ralpher.

Meclazine (Bonine, Dramamine) works great for me IF I take it when I go to bed the night before and when I wake up the day of hitting the water.

Drink lots of water, the stuff will dry you our something terrible.

Tried Scopalomine transdermal a few time but it really whacked me bad. I slept most of the day which is tough to do on a yack.

Oh jez, the hammerhead story just made Fox national news. 6:25 am Monday. Sheeeeesssssh.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I get seasick on boats very rarely. Never ever on a kayak. The motion of a boat is different than a kayak. Yaks go up n down and wobble a bit. Boats can do big heavy rolls from side to side. Those can get to me.
I put this example together recently when I tried standing up on my kayak and noticed a much greater swaying motion.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
Phikayaks
Junior

Awesome! Thanks guys for the great tips, ill try them out and and see how it goes.
Hammerhead on the news, thats fine with me...less people at the beach and closer parking.
Phikayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Meclazine (Bonine, Dramamine) works great for me IF I take it when I go to bed the night before and when I wake up the day of hitting the water.

Drink lots of water, the stuff will dry you our something terrible.

I have tried most remedies available, but Meclizine was the one which has worked 99%. It did not do the job during the last 3/4 day boat trip. Lack o sleep and a burger and fries at 2:30 AM may have contributed to my seasickness..

Still for me it is the best.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
octico

I have fished for over 20 years and had never gotten sick until I was on yak. Since then I take meclazine every time I go.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Cbad Mike

Sea sickness not only sucks but it is dangerous.
The fatigue and as well as feeling sick can make you forget the basics and cause you to lose balance.
Sounds gross but if you do have to puke consider doing so straight onto your lap or between your legs. (You can always rinse off.)
DO NOT try to throw up over the side of your kayak! The dizziness and fatigue could make it very easy to fall in the water or capsize.
When your throwing up you don't have control over your breathing which could make it easy to drown while in the water.

With that said....
I used to always take Dramine before launching. Now I don't need to but always bring it with me. If I start feeling a little ill I sip water and eat snack crackers.
Keeping your head up and your eyes on the horizon or land should also help.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsutter775 View Post
Take Bonine before you go to bed the night before. Then when you wake up in the morning, then again a half hour before the trip. Gets in your system well in advance and it works. From there you need to take it every 2-4 hours....

What dsutter said!

I should have mentioned the best way to administer it when I mentioned it in my first reply.

If you don't take it the night before it's a crap shoot if it will work or not when you need it to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 AM   #17
monstahfish

I keep a tube of the cvs non drowsy motion sickness pills in my pfd pocket and take one before I launch. It's worked really well and I don't seem to be building a tolerance either it always works and comes in a small tube.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote