Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
bigbarrels

baja

Has anybody launched their kayak out of Punta Rosarito (the wall) in Baja? Or any area from Punta Cono to Miller's Landing? Any idea on how the winter yellowtail fishing is in that area? Heading down to that area in a few weeks and trying to research the area as much as possible prior to going down there (on line, Baja Catch, Hooked on Baja, Surfer's Guide to baja, Baja Almanac, etc). Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,
Tom
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
WahooUSMA

Travel Safety

http://www.crg-online.com/Page.aspx?pg=2537#833393
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a/pa_3028.html

Not too sure if the above link will work since the CRG site is pass word protected, but is important to read before crossing into Mexico. Also, please review the US State Dept current travel warnings. Not trying to scare anyone out of traveling to MX., but please be careful. As one who is responsible for the safety and security of my company's employee's traveling internationally, I am consistently being briefed on travel advisories.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a note.
WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
j mo

The Wall

Safety Aside-

There are many spots to launch in relatively sheltered areas near The Wall. If you travel just a bit south from the main camp site there are some makeshift fish camps ( you actually pass them on the way to the camp site) in front of a fairly protected little cove. Great spot to launch- While I have not taken the yak to The Wall I have spear fished many times. My friend Gregg ( Quilted Germ) and I literally filled our dive bag in about 15 minutes. Lots of fish and lobster in the area -also check "Millers Landing" to the s ~6 miles.

Lots of waves, fish and wind in those parts.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
PB fisher
feeesh

I have fished the wall a few times over the last 5 years with mixed success. Keep in mind that the trips are primarily surf trips, but I always bring a few poles. Never brought the yak, but enjoyed fishing from the rocks. I always used plastics and lures, targeting calicos. Fished everywhere along the huge campsite areas and had best luck at Cadillacs- if you know the wall, you know what I am talking about.
With this said, I have not been there or anywhere in Baja Norte for over 2 years due to safety concerns.
I imagine that the fishing in a yak would be great given the size of the bay and lack of people fishing there. Tons of lobsters are available right off the rocks. Since this is a winter spot, bring a thick wetsuit because it really is cold- especially at night when lobstering. This should be easy pickings, as I have always gotten enough lobsters in relatively short time.
Hopefully the situation south of the border will improve, as I miss those trips. Good luck.
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
bigbarrels

thank you everybody for the useful info greatly appreciated! Can't wait to check the area out....sounds like an amazing place!
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Trout
Looks are everything

I have fished and surfed the wall several times... and definitely "passed time" as well, if you know what I mean. Bring gear for sand golf, slosh ball, musical mishaps, etc. and some beer and Hornitos. If the weather is good, then game on. It's a killer spot and there are fish. Read the Baja Catch (duh) and have fun figuring some stuff out on your own. Yes... there are also lobster and we're all guilty... just remember that "technically" gringos can't take shellfish. It's a very desolate area, so no biggie... just know the rules. I'd love an update with photos, as it has been a while....
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
wavster

Americans taking lobster in Mexico is not just "technically"
not allowed - its illegal.

Not trying to flame anyone or cause an uproar, but if you'd like others
to respect your waters, please do the same.

I've seen more lobster in one day at some of the spots in Baja
than others will see in their entire lives - yet I've never taken one.
I've offered up fish and cash - and only cash won out.

For some towns in Baja, this is their primary means of earning a living.

Give the same respect you'd like to receive. Besides, you don't want
risk ending up in a barrel of acid, do you?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
'Cuda

deadly mistake

Last year some poachers were coming up from Mag Bay and stealing lobsters from the La Bocana traps and the head of the fishing cooperative shot them dead in their boat.......he got a slap on the wrist and 7 months jail time. Lobster fishing is a 30 million dollar/year business in Baja and feeds a lot families in an other wise poor enviroment.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Quilted Germ

Sweet spot for sure, for surf and fishing...I didn't know it was illegal to take lobsters in Mex so I'll remember that when I return when things cool down a bit. I hope they can clean up their act quickly as I'm sure many people are suffering due to the lack of tourism. The bay to the south is minutes away and dead flat for launching....Be safe and pray for little wind...the only downside to the spot.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
tattuna

I had some friends who purchased a dozen lobsters from locals in Erendira a couple months ago. When they got to a federale check point the lobsters were confiscated along with ALL of their fishing gear. When they started to complain the federales warned them they could legally take their truck too. Just something to keep in mind if you don't know the laws.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
wavster

Exactly my point. I'm not accusing anyone of "poaching", just want
others to realize that you can't even have lobsters in possession.

The best place to get one is in a cantina...
Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

www.mexfish.com has a good archive of reports. Lots of good dope there. Baja is still safe and full of some of the friendliest people in the world.

Many people in baja live a simple, but good life... I imagine its the way cali used to be before so many people moved here for the weather.

Sure is a good thing most people don't go outside... or even know how to get to the beach for that matter

I love tv , and baja is still dangerous. It all depends on how you hold youself... have fun and remember, take only pictures, and if the fishing is slow I'm sure you'll catch a buzz

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Trout
Looks are everything

Reminds me of one of my best trips ever... around 1990 or so. We camped at Punta Conejo... surfed a perfect 8ft left point/reef for 5 days straight. And fished from shore. There was a small fish camp there and all the fishermen had kids. They would watch us surf this perfect wave all day. On the last day the surf dropped and we just hung out. I decided to give my surfboard to all of the kids to share... forever. They couldn't believe it. The fishermen/parents were so happy they invited us for dinner in their makeshift shacks. It was something I'll never forget. The mom made us a shellfish dinner, including clams the size of your palm. Unbelievable. I just told them that when I returned, I wanted to see all of the kids ripping. Unfortunately I haven't been back, but hopefully they got a kick out of it! Give and you'll get back.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
PB fisher
feeesh

I had no idea that taking lobters was illegal in Mex. Thanks for the info.
Last time I was there, a really cool rock formation was built at one of the campgrounds and it was about 5 feet high with a big hole in the middle. The guy who built it had been living there for 4 months and left the day I arrived. If it's still there, I would love a picture. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Trout
Looks are everything

Dang... you look like Tom Curren in that profile photo.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
PB fisher
feeesh

It is Curren. He's still the best surfer CA has produced.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Trout
Looks are everything

Don't make me break out my Curren collage from 1983.