Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
yakman619
HMFIC

Looking to learn the ropes...help a brother out!

I recently purchased my first kayak (a couple of weeks ago), and have been on a few trips to Lower Otay and one trip to LJ, and I'm totally hooked! I'll be on leave all next week, and plan on spending everyday with the exception of Wednesday and Friday on the water.

I'm new to both kayak fishing and salt water fishing, so any advice on where to go to snag some easy bass/rockfish/halibut, or anything else that may be biting would be great. If anyone can use a paddle partner next week, even better!

I'm really interested in learning the bays, it seems a lot safer to go there if I'm solo until I get some more time on the water, and take a surf class (I wore my yak as a hat on the way back in from La Jolla).

Anyway, any help with getting me oriented with the area would be great! I look forward to seeing everyone on the water; this seems like an awesome community!
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Amish Ed

In Mission Bay and SD Bay hit the grass beds and dropoffs for spotties and in SD Bay hit the deeper channels for sand bass. If you have freshwater bass gear that's all you need for the bass. Get some swimbaits, grubs, jigs and heavy blades. I use Flurrys (made by Edge) and Big Hammers for swimbaits, Kalin grubs, Warbait jigs, and Edge Hy-spins for blades. Hot Sauce for flavor. For line I use 6-17lb with spectra backing. Same setups and baits for calicoes, at least for me. A lot of guys go way heavier in line class.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
sdfishman

I fish the back of the San Diego Bay alot.. PM me if you want to head out..
sdfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
yakman619
HMFIC

Cool man; I live in Eastlake so I'll def hit you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfishman View Post
I fish the back of the San Diego Bay alot.. PM me if you want to head out..
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote