Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Yoyo jigging for.......sand dabs?

Hit up county line in hopes of another yellowtail. Met up Joe and Thomas. Also met another BWEer at the launch. There were about 15 other kayakers, few party boats, and a bunch of pbers. Launch was easy, get out on the water near deephole. Drop some frozen squid down and start working the jig. Didn't get much time working the jig since my squid kept getting hit by jumbo 2lb macs. One I pulled up had bite marks all over it so I ditched the squid and trolled a mac around. Start working the yo yo again only to get slammed by this beast. ...lol! Started making our way back in, and wanted to see what was in the kelp. Dropping whole squid, the heads kept getting bit off, then the bites would stop, so I dropped strip squid instead and pulled up a nice 18" calico. He nearly pulled drag! Nice weather, fun day on the water!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Arrogant Bastard and Ruination eh... At least you caught a buzz with that sand dab. Nice job scratching that calico up!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
Arrogant Bastard and Ruination eh... At least you caught a buzz with that sand dab. Nice job scratching that calico up!
Thanks bro. The calico made my day since it was a pb for me. Was surprised how my pole loaded up on that grumpy bass! I think the yellows moved on and the giant macs moved in over there. At least there's always La Jolla!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
LBKayakDude

Great times on the water 👍 🍻

LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Hell yeah! Would've been better had the yt showed up to play!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Just found out from a fellow BWEer about stone brewery, I had no idea. I should've posted a picture of the Yellowtail IPA I had instead.

Duly noted- no more stone, replaced with Balast Point brews!

Will pass the word along to my fellow craft beer loving fishing pals.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Aznronin

It was an easy launch that day. You guys are lucky that the surf at county has been down and nice. I've fished it three days in a row for nothing but macs and sand dabs. Bite is shut down. Bummer.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznronin View Post
It was an easy launch that day. You guys are lucky that the surf at county has been down and nice. I've fished it three days in a row for nothing but macs and sand dabs. Bite is shut down. Bummer.
Yeah, sucks. We were hoping for some yt. I didn't try to catch any squid, did you? I decided not to try since I kept catching huge macs on the frozen squid.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

http://www.stonebrewing.com/press/GK...t_07252012.htm

Last edited by Silbaugh4liberty; 11-30-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
LBKayakDude

I knew it was a bunch of bs
Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
LBKayakDude

🍻 🍻

Last edited by LBKayakDude; 11-30-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBKayakDude View Post
I knew it was a bunch of bs
I think it was an honest mistake.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

Here is the old thread.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12421

Seems ironic that their own marketing pitch is "Why so many allow themselves to be led by the nose lacks plausible explanation. Perhaps you have been so lulled by the siren song of ignorance that you don’t even notice your white-knuckle grip on it. You feel bold and unique, but alas are nothing but sheep, willingly being herded to and fro.... Truth be told, you are being coddled by ethically challenged “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain” marketers who layer imagined attributes specifically engineered to lead you by the nose. Should you decide to abdicate your ability to make decisions for yourself, then you are perhaps deserving of the pabulum they serve. ...(We demand) retribution for their outrageously conniving, intentionally misleading, blatantly masturbatory and fallacious ad campaigns. We demand the unmitigated, transparent truth. We demand forthright honesty. We want justice! Call ‘em out and line ‘em up against the wall... NOW."

(copied from a post by T-Rex)

Yes, Surfrider can claim that no funds from Stone were spent on pushing for the most restrictive closure possible. I can also tell you that when I was in college, when I was given some cash to help with rent/tuition/books I would take the money I had saved for books and buy beer, replacing it with what I was just given for books. It all goes into the general coffers and gets applied as they want.

Believe what you want, they say one thing and spend to support another.

Paul Lebowitz sums it up pretty well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Stone's action - apparently without serious thought or consideration - is systematic of the problem "consumptive" outdoorsmen and women face. The knee jerk signing onto a feel-good message has an impact and corresponding consequences.

Stone realized a positive PR bump from MLPA proponents. Stone's name, compiled with others who jumped on board the closure train without thinking it through (save the ocean? sure), carried political weight that damaged our cause, contributing to the vast and unreasonable closures in Laguna and Malibu, and the La Jolla encirclement. Stone saying they didn't mean it is too little, too late. The damage is done.

I experienced the rigged kangaroo court (or kabuki if you like) political theater of the MLPA from way too close. I'm not ready to forgive or forget. I vote with my dollars. None of them will ever flow Stone's way.

One more note: a lot of kayak anglers and free divers gave up dozens and even hundreds of precious hours of free time to preserve coastal access. La Jolla would have been closed without the effort. WE made it politically impossible to shut down the north kelp. Every other user group that still enjoys access to LJ has our combined grassroots efforts to thank. If you weren't around for that nightmare, it may be difficult to understand the passion and anger the topic ignites.
OK, my rant is over. Sorry to derail your thread on a good day on the water. My PM to Silbaugh was just to let him know that there are wounds that are far from healing over this process and the way we were railroaded. Great fishing areas of Malibu are now off limits due to teh un-scientific and non-collaborative process we witnessed firsthand. The compassionate looks of dismay on the face of the board members as the high-school students that were bussed in cried over how we were destroying the (non-existent) coral reefs off California as their proud teachers tallied up the extra credit points.

I was trying to find and resurrect the list of major supporters of the closures but the boards on Jason's site seem to have been down for a while. When they are back up I will post, in another thread, the list of companies that helped take away our fishing grounds.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Here is the old thread.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12421

Seems ironic that their own marketing pitch is "Why so many allow themselves to be led by the nose lacks plausible explanation. Perhaps you have been so lulled by the siren song of ignorance that you don’t even notice your white-knuckle grip on it. You feel bold and unique, but alas are nothing but sheep, willingly being herded to and fro.... Truth be told, you are being coddled by ethically challenged “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain” marketers who layer imagined attributes specifically engineered to lead you by the nose. Should you decide to abdicate your ability to make decisions for yourself, then you are perhaps deserving of the pabulum they serve. ...(We demand) retribution for their outrageously conniving, intentionally misleading, blatantly masturbatory and fallacious ad campaigns. We demand the unmitigated, transparent truth. We demand forthright honesty. We want justice! Call ‘em out and line ‘em up against the wall... NOW."

(copied from a post by T-Rex)

Yes, Surfrider can claim that no funds from Stone were spent on pushing for the most restrictive closure possible. I can also tell you that when I was in college, when I was given some cash to help with rent/tuition/books I would take the money I had saved for books and buy beer, replacing it with what I was just given for books. It all goes into the general coffers and gets applied as they want.

Believe what you want, they say one thing and spend to support another.

Paul Lebowitz sums it up pretty well:

OK, my rant is over. Sorry to derail your thread on a good day on the water. My PM to Silbaugh was just to let him know that there are wounds that are far from healing over this process and the way we were railroaded. Great fishing areas of Malibu are now off limits due to teh un-scientific and non-collaborative process we witnessed firsthand. The compassionate looks of dismay on the face of the board members as the high-school students that were bussed in cried over how we were destroying the (non-existent) coral reefs off California as their proud teachers tallied up the extra credit points.

I was trying to find and resurrect the list of major supporters of the closures but the boards on Jason's site seem to have been down for a while. When they are back up I will post, in another thread, the list of companies that helped take away our fishing grounds.
Balast Point shall be the beer of choice! Wish I would've taken a pic of yellowtail IPA I had. Too bad we didn't catch one to go with the beer
Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
coffeebean16
Junior

no more stone

i had no idea that they had supported that. ill make sure to pass that info around at work among the people who fish and hunt. there should be a few less customers for Stone.
dave
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #16
captnblood34

It's an older statement, either people on here are misinformed or the statement is shady? Not sure.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I think a little of both. I sure didn't know

Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post

It's an older statement, either people on here are misinformed or the statement is shady? Not sure.
IDK, I have been to Stone bought their beer ... either way I think Ballist Point is much better beer ... my favorite Sculpin ... of course
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #19
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
IDK, I have been to Stone bought their beer ... either way I think Ballist Point is much better beer ... my favorite Sculpin ... of course
Yeah its good, and the most expensive one too! Anyone tried their liquor?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post

Be careful what "bum" you donate to. They may use your money in ways you don't approve of.

(Now I don't have to drink stone in hiding)

And I do agree Sculpin is the best.. Try Sculpin Grapefruit if you ever get a chance.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote