Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
dshep75

Advice on which kayak to buy...

Hey everybody, this is my first post but I love the website and have thus far fished vicariously through you all. However, its time for me to get out there myself...

I'm getting ready to buy a kayak for 75% fishing/25% diving and would like as much input/advice, dos and don'ts as i can get...

BTW I'm 6'3" and 210lbs. So far I've looked at Malibus and the Hobies w/ the pedal drive system but I'm open for anything.

Thanks in advance

Dan
dshep75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
SteveHman

Dan,
I'm 6'4" 225 and have the Hobie. So far I'm very happy with it although it has a few shortcomings. First off, it doesn't track for shit with the rudder up and you're paddling. But Steve, why paddle when you have peddles? Well I'll tell you, the kelp plays hell with your drive system and rudder. If you are in the kelp (and you will be at sometime) you will need to pull your drive up and paddle through. Also the drive and rudder make surf entry and exit a bit more challenging. You can't really use the drive until you're through the surf.

The peddle drive works great and requires much less effort than paddling, but it's a bit slow--don't expect to be cruising past paddlers on sleeker hulls with nice paddles. My GPS has me averaging 3.5 knots most trips and I can maintain that speed comfortably for several hours (up to 17 miles on one Sunday).

The rear deck area is not conducive to mounting a milk crate, I’ve done it but it could be better. I will be checking the Kayatank booth at the Fred Hall show to see if they have a setup for the new Hobies yet. Then I will ditch my milk crate.

Rod storage is not feasible in the hull. The new models have a larger hatch up front, but you really can’t put your rods in there (maybe a 6’ light action?). But even if you could, you won’t be able to get them out while on the water—if you were smaller and lighter maybe, or if you have better balance than me, otherwise if you try to get up front to remove a rod from the front hatch be ready to go swimming.

And my last complaint is the seat, after a few hours you might as well be sitting on the plastic deck. I’m sure that is true of most factory seats. I’ll be buying an air seat at the Fred Hall Show.

Other than that I am happy and would buy another. My only decision would be Outback or Adventure. The outback is wide. Wide=stable. I have gone through some nasty surf and never cam close to going over. I have taken 4-5 foot waves broadside and stayed upright (wet but upright). The Adventure is supposed to be fast, I can’t wait to test drive one. That may be my next purchase and I can “give” the Outback to the wife :lol: .

I would test out as many as you can to see which fits your style. Go to the Fred Hall Show to get an idea of how you can rig it once you buy it. Good luck with your purchase.

Steve
SteveHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Spinal Tap

I don't know what the capacity is on the Hobies, but if you plan to dive out of them then it's an important consideration. Add your weight, equipment (scuba gear, weight belt...etc) and see how close it is to the stated capacity of the kayak.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
SteveHman

The stated max load is 400 lbs. I'm pretty confident that it could hold that and more and still remain stable. The heaviest I've had mine loaded out to is:
Me 225#
Milk crate with 3 gallons of water in the bait tank and tackle 40# +or-
Batteries for fishfinder and bait tank (12v 7 ah x 2) 10# +or-
5 lobster hoops 25#
Food drinks etc 5#
Fishfinder and UHF radio 5#
misc crap 5-10#

Rough total 320# (error on the light side, ask Paul, he's helped me haul the loaded yak down the steps at LJ--sorry Paul).

The Hobie Adventure has a 350# rated capacity, it may not be my first choice for a dive platform. I plan on using my Outback for diving this spring and summer and have no doubt that it can hold all of my gear and and fish that end up on the pointy end of my spear .

What ever platform you choose, make sure you have no problem getting yourself back into the boat after your dive. Outback is very wide and stable but it can still be tricky getting back in (inflate your bc and take it off first).

Steve
Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
aguachico

Dan;

I've been in a Mailibu Extreme for 3-4 years. It's the best deck for fishing around. I've owned two OK's and tested the Cobra. Never been on a Hobie. I'm 6' 260#. You should test all yaks in the setting you want to fish before you buy.
ie- if you are fishing LJ, test the yak in LJ.

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
hyspy

big guy and his kayaks

I have 2 kayaks: 1) a malibu xtreme and 2) a hobie quest. both are very stable but since I bought the quest I havent touched the xtreme. I do love the xtreme but It is a lot nicer to deal with the lighter, smaller quest, especially if you arent carrying tons of gear. I am 6' 3" and 250 lbs...and the quest has plenty of internal storage. I can fit my rods in with no problem.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Jim Sammons LJKF

I don't think the Hobie is the best choice as a dive kayak. Because of its' hull/cockpit design I have noticed with my clients that it is one of the harder kayaks to get back into during our self rescue classes.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
SteveHman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHman
The Hobie Adventure has a 350# rated capacity, it may not be my first choice for a dive platform. I plan on using my Outback for diving this spring and summer and have no doubt that it can hold all of my gear and and fish that end up on the pointy end of my spear .

What ever platform you choose, make sure you have no problem getting yourself back into the boat after your dive. Outback is very wide and stable but it can still be tricky getting back in (inflate your bc and take it off first).
Jim,
I agree (as posted above). I love fishing in the Outback but it would not be my 1st choice for diving. The back is not laid out to hold dive gear very well. There is a recessed area for tank stowage, but it is little more than a slight dip on the back deck. And you're absolutely right about self rescue (or dive recovery), the Hobie can be a pain to get back into--it's all about upper body strength and balance with that yak. If you're tired after a dive (or battling a fish) and your arms--and technique--are a bit weak, good luck.

Since I plan on fishing from a yak more than diving, I was willing to make the trade-off. If I was more SCUBA-centric I would have chosen a different platform. I prefer to do my diving from the back of a bigger boat that holds multiple tanks and equipment. I may use the Hobie for freediving/spearfishing around the kelp.

Check out all of the boats at Fred Hall next week and get up with Jim for a class if you are inexperienced.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
blackcloud9
Kayaker

>>The peddle drive works great and requires much less effort than
>>paddling, but it's a bit slow--don't expect to be cruising past paddlers
>> on sleeker hulls with nice paddles.

Speed-wise I am convinced the Hobie Adventure will obliterate anyone with a paddle, or other Hobie mirage model. I'm always up for a race :lol: ..... Anyone?

Interestingly it excels going upwind especially, pierces through swells instead of over them, great for before/after work dashes to the outside. (Break out the paddle though :roll: , and it's a lot slower than my Scupper Pro, which is lighter and narrower.)

Also makes a great fishing platform - insane for slow trolling, and even fishing rockfish/deep in the wind. Needless to say, way worth the price of admission, to me. 8)
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

I'll race ya for pinks in my new Austin Powers super groovy Wave Walker, boasting 8 MPH pedal driven speeds......without the bottle.

Let's set this up on Pinks on the Speed Network.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #11
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Wow :shock: WTF?
"Weight 130 pounds,
Introductory Price: $2,795*
:lol:
Electric Option Package for WaveWalker®: $449 Additional
Package includes:
Modified Motorguide ™ electric trolling motor - with removable bracket "

Here's a good link for the Scripps wind forecast. Looks like a great Saturday to continue pimping-out the new bait tank.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...orecast+Graphs
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #12
dshep75

wow, thanks for all the advice guys

thanks for all the replies. Ive read them all and am sure i will read them several times more to help w/ my decision. Any more opinions are more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Dan
dshep75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
Brad Wells
Junior

I have a tarpon 120 for sale you are welcome to try it out. It may be a bit small, I just bought Cris' 16' tarpon. The more gear I added the slower it was getting. Brad.
Brad Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #14
Razorback

#1 Choice for Fishing + Diving = X-FACTOR.

#2 Choice # # # = Extreme.

Can't beat the 675 lb weight capacity on the X. Couple that with a dry, stable ride - and you've got a very comfortable platform for both sports.

GO to Fred Hall - OEX will be dealing on their product line.

FYI - I am 6'0" - 210 lbs and I have owned and/or paddled most brands / hulls out there

It's all a personal preference - kinda like women - but I have been happiest with the Malibu line and am stoked on the combination of speed, stability, storage and dry ride of the Extreme. But I strictly fish. For dive tanks/gear - I would heavily consider the extra tank well storage and weight capacity of the X-Factor. I paddled this hull for over a year and was real happy with the performance - just wanted a faster set up.

Buenos Suerte`

HAWG Out
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #15
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHman

I will be checking the Kayatank booth at the Fred Hall show to see if they have a setup for the new Hobies yet. Then I will ditch my milk crate.
Steve, this Mo from Angler's Yak Shack. There will be a KayaTank on display at the OEX booth (local Malibu Dealer) at the Fred Hall Show. OEX is also raffling off an Explorer with a KayaTank installed. I will be at the booth for about an hour or so each day around 6 pm. There will be special prices on all models of the KayaTank and reduced installation prices too. Check out our web site www.anglersyakshack.com for information on the models we carry.

For the Hobie line we have models for the Quest, Adventure and Outback, and will soon have the Outfitter (tandem). For the Malibu line we have the Xfactor, eXtreme, and Pro ecplorer. We will soon have a Pro 2 Tandem also. The Ocean Kayaks we have the Prowler 15 and Scupper Pro models, soon to have the Malibu 2 XL.

Late, Mo
Old 03-14-2006, 08:01 AM   #16
SteveHman

Mo,
I will be heading to the show earlier in the day on Friday (if I can ditch work) or Saturday morning. Don't know if I'll get a chance to meet up with you if you'll be there at 6:00. Do you sell partial kits? I already have the battery in a pelican box and I plan on installing myself.

I have the newer Outback with the hinged hatch in the center, will the tank work with this config? What is the capacity of the tank (3 gal?)

Thanks, I'll see you at DelMar
Steve
Old 03-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #17
Mo

Steve,

The Outback holds about 5 gallons and fits the new Outback with the New Hobie hinged deck hatch. You can purchase all the components separately on the web site! If you have further questinos it's easier to use my email mo@anglersyakshack.com