Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
fishsouthcounty

Ya, another new guy....

What's up guys? My name is Tim and i live in San Juan Capistrano. New to the kayak fishing concept but not new to fishing. Grew up fishing pretty much every aspect of fishable area in the Dana Point harbor, San Clemente pier, and various areas of shoreline between DP and SC as well as many rides on the Dana Wharf Sport Fishing boats. Spent the last 3 years living in Monterey and did quite a bit of fishing from the rocks from Pacific Grove through 17 mile drive on down to Big Sur.

Excited to try a new style of fishing. Just need to get a yak. Will be checking out a Cobra FnD Sunday afternoon after i return from Vegas this weekend. Hopefully i either win some cash, or have enough control to not spend all my Yak purchasing cash. Either way hopefully ill have a kayak to my name by the beginning of next week and be testin my yaking skills in Dana Point shortly thereafter. Looks like lots of guys on here are local and do the DP area often. Would love to meet some of you guys and tag along once i get used to the kayaking platform if some of you dont mind.

Look forward to meetin some of you guys, good luck out there.

Tim
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

Wow we got a boat load of new peeps here lately,
welcome to the group Tim, hope to see ya out there sometime, we were just in your neck of the woods last week and had a great time, and a good turn out....we will be out at Cabrillo this saturday if you are available...the more the merrier....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
fishsouthcounty

Thanks, ya i saw the reports. Cant wait to get out there and give it a shot. Thanks for the invite unfortunately at this point im still working on purchasing a kayak. I will also be in Vegas for the weekend. Hopefully i can keep my priorities straight and not blow all my kayak money, or maybe win more kayak money. Either way hopefully ill be able to join some of you out there real soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
dorado123

I have cobra FnD for 2years and love it

It's very stable kayak ... I never ever thing about my kayak tip off with any kind

of condition

But you should know it's a bit slower than long and skinny kayak though

I also have malibu X13 for fishing require long paddling..

Welcome and Good luck
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
fishsouthcounty

Ya i figured based on the specs from the cobra website it may be a little slow in the water between its width and weight. Being as it is my first kayak i am willing to sacrifice speed for stability until i really get the hang of being on a yak catching fish. Staying upright will be priority over travel time. thanks for the heads up though.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

My opinion, take it as you please,
my first boat was an '07 Malibu XFactor, one fast "stable" boat, fished off it for two years on and off, loved it, then, one time I was caught out in some pretty nasty off shore wind, then I decided I would check out somethin somebody said about Hobie mirage drive, road tested a model in off shores, on purpose, and the boat did extremely well, I am into Hobies but the X factor would definately be the second choice...welcome to the club...b
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
My opinion, take it as you please,
my first boat was an '07 Malibu XFactor, one fast "stable" boat, fished off it for two years on and off, loved it, then, one time I was caught out in some pretty nasty off shore wind, then I decided I would check out somethin somebody said about Hobie mirage drive, road tested a model in off shores, on purpose, and the boat did extremely well, I am into Hobies but the X factor would definately be the second choice...welcome to the club...b
Thanks a lot, honestly ill take every bit of input and info i can get as this is something i have never done before. Havent even been on a yak in general in probably 5 years. In all reality just looking to get something of quality to start out on that isnt gonna break the bank. And the bank is currently at about a 600 dollar cap right now. haha, so pretty limited in my options. From what i can see hobies are pretty damn expensive even used...maybe somewhere down the line i will upgrade, but for the time being whatever gets me floating with some lines in the water while still feeling safe and ill be happy.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
Thanks a lot, honestly ill take every bit of input and info i can get as this is something i have never done before. Havent even been on a yak in general in probably 5 years. In all reality just looking to get something of quality to start out on that isnt gonna break the bank. And the bank is currently at about a 600 dollar cap right now. haha, so pretty limited in my options. From what i can see hobies are pretty damn expensive even used...maybe somewhere down the line i will upgrade, but for the time being whatever gets me floating with some lines in the water while still feeling safe and ill be happy.
Well, since you are just getting here, I need to ask if you have visited the
used car lot on this site, alot of really really good deals, might be something right in your price range and you will probably get more for the money...b
Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Regor
Greg

Welcome!

As you are finding out, lots of good info here, a "Buy/Sell" section, and don't forget as your looking, Craigslist.

This isn't mine to sell, just surfing:

Need some gear to go with that Yak?
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/2171709890.html
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
fishsouthcounty

Thanks once again for all the info and warm welcome. I have checked the buy/sell on here (as well as craigslist) and am currently talking to bgodber about the yellow Cobra FnD he has for sale listed on here. Am planning on meeting with him sunday when i return from vegas or possibly monday. Looks like its in good shape and already has a fish finder/trandsucer installed. Hopefully it looks good in person and ill be able to float by monday. Thanks again everyone, have a good weekend.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
Amish Ed

Welcome to yak fishing. I fish on Mondays and/or Tuesdays (unless the waves are good), you're always welcome to join me. As far as the yak goes, the FnD is a tank, but is stable. Many people have used and loved them, but most move on. Give Southwind Kayaks a call and see what they have in their used stock. Also call Andy at OEX in Sunset Beach. Most yaks you paddle will feel plenty stable while paddling. Then when you stop to fish just stick your legs over the side and you've got outriggers.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
CurtyL

why does this sound like a gay troll post? omg am I gay?
omg I'm thinking too much
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote