Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
yaknewb

Trolling in the bay any info helps havent done it much???

So iv tried trolling a 4 inch swim bait while heading to a fishing spot havent had any luck but havent tried it much. I was wondering if i was going about it wrong i was casting out as far as i could letting it hit the bottem and giveing it about 30 feet then start paddleing. And should i jus troll a crank bait or a spoon instead again dont know how to go about it never done it by boat or yak any info on trolling any thing will help thanks. Oh and can i fly line a small lizard fish or is flylineing an ocean thing...
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
MrPatrick

Off the bottom

You can slow troll when the Bonita are in the bay. Your lure is going to be off the bottom with that little line likely. The only time I've seen lizard fish coughed up was by a large sand bass from over 100' down in La Jolla.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
taggermike

Depending on time of year trolling in the bay can be pretty productive. Swim baits troll well at kayak speeds. I find they work better in the shallower parts of the bay along the edges of shoals or grass beds. Deeper diving crankbaits troll well too but I don't like digging multiple treble hooks out of thrashing spotties. In the summer I'll troll small Yozuris like a crystal minnow for bonita and corvina. As for lizard fish, I've tried them in the bay and in the ocean for not a damn thing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
CurtyL

thow a little Rapala floater off the back and troll the grass beds in MB. Dana Point Inn and the Boat Launch off Ingraham are good spots. The bait barge and the grass in Sail Bay. That's Spotty city. Otherwise just drift and long line with a fish trap on the bottom in the big bay.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
dfroggy54
Rolly

rebel fastrac -black and silver. dont get the deep diver but the mid range bill. Light blue silver works too

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...e-Small/Detail
Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
yaknewb

I have a x-rap small bill shallow diver whould that do any good in mission bay or do i need at least a med diver and if the small bill dosent go deep enough can i rig it with a small weight to get it down deeper so i can troll it?
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote