Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
HookFynn

Got another ?

As many of you know, I'm primarily a freshwater bass guy. At least that's what species I've spent the most time pursuing. Anyways, here's my question.

Have any of you ever used a buzzbait to chase Spots with? Any luck?

Just curious.

-Bryan @ HookFynn.com
HookFynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
taggermike

Lots of fresh water bass tecniques lend them selves very well to bay bass fishing. I am not much of a fresh water bass guy, but I though a buzz bait is a surface/almost top water lure. If it is I would say it would be a waste of time for spotties. They are very very rarely surface oriented and the huge majority of thier diet is clams and crabs. Obviously they do eat fish but they are bottom oriented predators. Spinner baits can be effective but I have never heard of buzz baits being used for bay bass. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

yes, taggermike is correct.

all bottom and deep water column oriented LMB techniques, will also typically work well for SW Bass.

but a top-water bait, such as a buzz-bait, is not likely at all to ever get bit by a Spotted Bass or Sand Bass in the Bays.

you MIGHT get an occasional Corvina, or Cuda or something to hit a buzz-bait in the Bays, but it would be a RARE occurence.

and you MIGHT get an occasional Calico Bass to bite a buzz bait in the Kelp Beds, perhaps in warm summer months when Calicos are biting well near surface.

BUT i don't think a buzz-bait would ever be a highly productive SW bait to use.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
steamroll

Surface feeding calicos might hit the buzzbait, but you're gonna have a tough time enticing a spottie with that. Try a chatterbait instead. Booyaa makes a cool one. 1/2 oz is a good size.
steamroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
HookFynn

I guess a better question would have been, "Do topwaters work well for SW bass?" Which I'm now hearing they do not. That's too bad. Nothing like a monster blast on the topwater early in the A.M. I've had some great success with spinnerbaits for spots and calicos, but haven't caught a sandbass on one yet. I have found that most freshwater techniques do directly translate into bay bass fishing. I haven't had any luck yet cranking, but I also haven't done too much yet.Bryan
HookFynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

the Berkely Frenzy 4" diving Minnow (silver shiner & firetiger colors) and the Bomber Fat Free Shad 5/8 oz (firetiger color) are the best cranks for SW bass.... as well as Corvina, WSB, Bonita, Barrys, and Halibut.

i have caught hundreds of these various fish on these 2 cranks in the Bays over the past 4 years.

as far as SW BASS... cranks & spinnerbaits can both work great for Spots & Calicos at times.

but i have never caught a Sandie on a spinner bait. and only caught a few Sandies on a crank. Sandies seem to strongly prefer plastic, gulp, or live bait.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote