Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
Shimano Penn
Junior

Mission Bay tips ?

I wanna try fishing Mission Bay but know nothing about it. Target would be halibut legal or not, but where to hunt ? Stopped at De Anza Cove yesterday, looks like a nice spot to put in. Whaddaya think, any tips ?
Shimano Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I am by no accounts an expert , but I do fish Mission Bay quite a bit. I like to fish for Halibut up by the west end of the bay, in the entrance channel to the bay. I have caught a couple nice keeper size 'butt's between Mariners Basin and Quivira Basin. I drift sardines or anchovies on a three way swivel rig. I've caught some really nice spotties doing the same thing. The bottom is nice and sandy in that area, so you don't get fouled up with eel grass quites as much. For spotties I like fishing in about 8-10 feet of water and slow roll a spinnerbait Like a Diesel Z-Man along the bottom or a 4" swimbait with a warbait weedless head. Good luck !! If you are ever looking for someone to fish with PM me, I live 5 mins from MB and I love spending time out on the water and meeting other kayak fisherpeople!!

Cheers,
Bernie
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
rogersmith

the second segment of this video has some nice MB tips for halibut, I am pretty sure Afran posted this here already so hopefully I'm not spot burning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPZIhYVt-4
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote