Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #21
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomen View Post
I agree wholeheartedly! There are several fish that people consider to be "trash" that are under rated for their table fare. Bonito is one of them. Another is barracuda. You have to treat it just like the bonito. As soon as you catch it (if it's over 28" of course), bleed it. I typically go the murder scene route, and rip the gills. Then I'll make a cut down to the bone by the base of the tail. Fish have an artery that runs bow to stern, and near the base of the tail is where it's at it's most shallow. By bleeding from both ends, the job is quick and efficient. As soon as it's bled out, get it on ice (ASAP). For years I heard people tell me that barracuda was trash. Then one day I got into a mess of them- big LOGS! I was going to throw them back, and my buddy stopped me and told me to eat them. I told him, "I heard they are nasty", to which he replied, "Don't believe everything you hear. Don't knock it till you try it." I have to be honest, and some people on here might think I'm crazy- but I think it might be my favorite fish to eat. Barracuda fish tacos are AMAZING!!!!! It's moist, flaky, and delicious! If you're reading this, and you've never eaten a barracuda, the next time you catch a legal sized one, DO NOT throw it back. It has a bloodline just like tuna and YT. Bleed it, get it on ice, and cut out the dark meat when you fillet it. You will be pleasantly surprised at how delicious it is.
They used to tell us cuda was toxic certain times of the year so I just never at one. I never knew when they were supposed to be safe.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #22
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

I won't say Barracuda is a favorite, as that goes to lingcod, halibut, and perhaps fresh bluefin, and corbina, but barries do make very good tacos. For years we took them home, and just like posted, bleed and ice. Also smothered in teriyaki, not bad on BBQ, but even my shoes could be good that way also!

Sometimes you gotta go "outside the box". My kids even like mackeral, but that is too far outside the box for me.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #23
Fomen

Agree! I kept some mackerel once. I smoked it, as oily fish take smoking very well. It was still nasty to me! I've never heard that barracuda are toxic. They are pelagic, so they move around a lot. There are resident specimens, but even those move in and out of the bays and the kelp. So I don't think they are any more toxic that a tuna or a YT.

If you want the best fish taco sauce.... Find some really good chipotle salsa. Fish around until you find one you really like, then go 50/50 chipotle salsa to mayonnaise. It's AWESOME!
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
Dail14

In respect to their toxicity people may be treating them like the cudas around Australia where large predators often become toxic with ciguatera toxin. You aren't so posed to eat them once they get a certain size. I dont think we have that problem here though or we would hear of people getting poisoned.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail14 View Post
In respect to their toxicity people may be treating them like the cudas around Australia where large predators often become toxic with ciguatera toxin. You aren't so posed to eat them once they get a certain size. I dont think we have that problem here though or we would hear of people getting poisoned.
I never knew for sure, some old timers on the pier used to tell us that so I just never kept them. They are fun to catch.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote