Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
DCS
Junior

LJ Pre-launch?

I was just wondering how you guys prepare before launching into LJ. I only have a 2wd Tacoma with a rear locker, so driving on the sand might be a little risky for me (or is it possible?).

For the anglers that don't drive on the sand, do you guys wheel your carted yak down to the shoreline and walk the cart back to your car or do you strap the cart onto the yak? I'd be quite hesitant to leave a unattended yak while I run the cart back to my truck.
DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I think you'll be fine. If a fellow kayaker can't help watching your gear for like 2-5 minutes while you park, that's lame. I never worry about my stuff, unless it's the afternoon. Lots of people on the beach then. You can park and wheel it, but I only did that the first time. Every time after that, I drove on.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
kayakfisherman

Too much worrying equals no La Jolla fishing.

Drive on the sand when it's firm, or, bring a
friend to stay with your kayak while you get
the car. Or, get a tele-transporter
from mr. spock.

No risk, no Fish. You'll figure it out, we all have.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Dannowar

Get some speed and glide across the 20 feet of soft sand. Same on the way out.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

If I had the locker in my Taco I'd be fearless! Keep yer wheels straight and a little momentum, like Dan said only about 20 feet of soft stuff.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Buy a winch, if you get stuck, hook it up to the tennis club and pull it out.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
DCS
Junior

Thanks everyone for the tips! If you see a stuck black Tacoma you know who it is
Old 07-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
dsutter775
Malibu X Factor

Me and my buddy wheel our yaks from the parking lot. Not too far of a walk. We strap our carts to the back of the yak. Also see ppl lock them to the wooden fence at the launch...
dsutter775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
MrPatrick

Lock your wheels to the telephone pole thing at the launch entrance. Easy accese
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
Dail14

I wheel mine from where I parked. I just store the cart in the front hatch and launch.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Gunner58

I have a 4wd so no worries in the sand however it's a little sketchy leaving your yack in attended. But in the morning there are plenty of other yakers willing to watch your stuff. But like the others said keep your momentum until you hit the hard sand
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
Gunner58

And I am willing and able to help a fellow yaker in need if they get stuck in the sand so if your stuck look for a new big black Ram
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #13
Irishman

In the morning I pull up, park and access the tide situation. I know ahead of time if it's coming in or out. Prior to driving on the sand I make sure I have enough space to motor through the first 20'. I'll then unload and ask fellow yakker to watch my gear as I drive and park. When landing I do the same in reverse, only this time I walk with my rods and reels, rinse at the showers that are slightly north of the launch and then drive back. I've had good karma asking either the kayak instructors that are on break or another yakker to watch my stuff. Nothing is on deck for an easy grab. You can also tell tourists they can watch your stuff in return for having their kid take a photo in your yak (once on sand)
Last word, if you land on incoming tide be sure to haul your yak way up the beach.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #14
DCS
Junior

Thanks everyone for the help. I truly appreciate it!
Old 07-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCS View Post
I was just wondering how you guys prepare before launching into LJ. I only have a 2wd Tacoma with a rear locker, so driving on the sand might be a little risky for me (or is it possible?).

For the anglers that don't drive on the sand, do you guys wheel your carted yak down to the shoreline and walk the cart back to your car or do you strap the cart onto the yak? I'd be quite hesitant to leave a unattended yak while I run the cart back to my truck.
I have a Tamcoma Sport 2WD with a rear limited slip and its fine. I drove about 200 feet from the surfline. The sand is firm in La Jolla ... you will be fine.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:43 AM   #16
TJones

4 wheeling

Don't most guys drop the air pressure in tires to get more traction ? Of course you will need a pump from Walmart to inflate them again . Your truck is very well balanced . In the unlikely event you do get stuck, dropping the pressure will help tremendously . That along with a few beach goers standing on back bumper to put additional weight . Or my F-250 with this tow strap I bought for such occasions is the last resort . I am just waiting to recoupe my money for strap.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #17
danjor

I own a 2wd tacoma without a locker, just go for it... Done it a million times without thinking about it, never a problem. But now that I said that who's pulling me out when I get stuck in the morning?
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #18
jorluivil

Don't be......that guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130803_181302.jpg (68.7 KB, 70 views)

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #19
LBKayakDude

I do it in my Toyota camry so far so good. But I always stop first at the sand get out and survey the sand conditions real quick. Form a mental Map then go get back in the car and go for it. Always always gun it past the first 20-30 ft of soft sand, and be moving quickly before u hit the sand. Then never slow down too much and it's worked for me so far. If the whole beach is soft sand I probably wouldn't go for it in my camry
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote