Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
KeptMan
Junior

Wide Open SD Bay Halibut

So I used to fish for Salmon in the Great Lakes, and a lure manufacturer (Northern King) was always consistent. For some reason, tackle shops down here don't carry trolling spoons; all the spoons are heavy weight casting spoons. I ended up ordering a few online. These are 1/2-ounce 4.5 inch trolling spoons. The results in the bay were incredible; I have never caught so many Halibut, Angel Sharks and Sand Bass. I can't wait to go try these off of La Jolla for YTs (Australia-Style).

Give it a go guys!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
jorluivil

I have no luck catching Halibut....can you sell me one or tell me where I can buy one?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
GregAndrew

You know what they say about pics and BS right?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
You know what they say about pics and BS right?
photos please.

100lbs is a lot of dead halibut.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
photos please.

100lbs is a lot of dead halibut.

especially when you consider that the average legal weighs well under 10lbs, I could be wrong but I believe a 22" hali weighs right around 5lbs.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
slobslayer

Who are you donating these halibut to? Less fortunate halibut fisherman like myself...
Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
KeptMan
Junior

Google "Northern King Spoons." I haven't looked in a while but I think you are being facetious...didn't you jest bag a bunch of them?

I run them off of downriggers but I am sure you could do the same with an eight ounce weigh. The ones with Chartreuse and Green are especially effective.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 06-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptMan View Post
I haven't looked in a while but I think you are being facetious...didn't you jest bag a bunch of them?

Greg?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
KeptMan
Junior

Your loss,

I cought two going twelve yesterday. Look, I am just trying to share what has worked for me with the group. I don't take pictures unless they are over thirty.

I did get a heck of a lot of shorts but I also managed to donate close to 100-lb of Halibut over the last two days.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptMan View Post
So I used to fish for.....

I've got a feeling you actually love and know how to fish. The deal is essentially you are in the wrong place. These are mostly kayak guys that fish only a few basic methods for the fish they catch. They are not interested in things others do that don't apply to their situation.

Think about it a minute. Downriigers with spoons will not work from a kayak. You could bounce ball with the spoons but you'd probably do just as well with flashers and hootchies. Personally I prefer small rapalas bounce balling since they float up when you stop and you can fish more rods without getting hung up but that's another "non-standard method" and pretty irrelevant about now.

Bottom line is your fishing a way they can't fish then saying your catching more fish then they catch. They aren't going to love you for it.

Jim
Closed Thread