Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Hondatom

Dana pt 7/13

Had a great day on the water despite not bringing anything home. Started at 6:00 launching the yak and hooking up with some new friends. You guys are all great and by the end of the day I felt like I had known you for years.
Headed out to the big kelp and started dragging around bait. Jon landed a nice calico right off and I heard tales of some others but didn't see them.
I was feeling like the proverbial red headed step child. No fish wanted to come play with me. Then it happened ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-------------------F*@#! I got bit off. Probably the tax collector. That was followed by a couple big runs and a couple of SNAPS. Apparently I don't know the proper way to put spider wire on a reel. when I got the first bite the line developed a bind and only about 90' would peel off. 90' of 50# was not enough to land whatever was grabbing my bait.
In addition to that a very large deposit was made to the bank of the Pacific. One of my new friends flipped and lost 3 NICE rigs. Don't forget your leashes boys! I have not flipped yet, but I know it is just a matter of time.
Then we headed over to the pipe. I got one hit and it tore the hell out of the bait but I was not able to seal the deal on that one either. WTF? I could not buy a break today, except on my line.
All in all, I had a great day on the water and a great time with my new friends. I look forward to fishing with you guys again.
Any input on avoiding line problems with braided line would be appreciated.
Fish on brothers!
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
FishNinjaY

I was out there with my son, and Honcho and his boy, yesterday afternoon (Fri).

Beautiful day on the water, but hardly any bites at all. On our way back in, I got hit big on my last sardine. Fought it for 30min , my first-ever big fish on the yak.. and it popped off. I have gopro video of my noobie fish-fighting failure..

Sounds like you had a better day! Thanks for the report.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Hondatom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
I was out there with my son, and Honcho and his boy, yesterday afternoon (Fri).

Beautiful day on the water, but hardly any bites at all. On our way back in, I got hit big on my last sardine. Fought it for 30min , my first-ever big fish on the yak.. and it popped off. I have gopro video of my noobie fish-fighting failure..

Sounds like you had a better day! Thanks for the report.
Its only a failure if you give up. He will be waiting for you when you go back out.
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

thanks for the report. some days i wish i could have a nice drag peeler. i would want to say maybe its a thresher or a mako that snapped you off.

as for the pipe break off with major rake marks, i've had plenty of ling cod that would short bite me. i opted to use a trap rig for the lings if i'm using a bait bigger than 6". i've never fished DP before but from the sounds of the reports, i really want to give it a shot
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
FishNinjaY

dont want to hijack hondatoms thread...

maybe.. guy on ramp said might be mako.. but I'm thinking it might have been a batray. I never saw anything break the water, .. didn't even see any color.. and I was only in about 35ft of water. That's my guess..

Maybe I'll post up a short report with video later. Maybe someone else can tell...

Happy Sunday...
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
fishsouthcounty

[QUOTE=Hondatom;163397]Any input on avoiding line problems with braided line would be appreciated.[/QUOTE

Unlike mono there is little to no stretch in spectra. You wind mono on more gentle to avoid stretching the mono and creating weak points. Without the stretch in spectra you can wind tight. Continue to make sure you apply pressure when reeling in during regular use as overlaps and pinches can happen at anytime if you reel it in loose.

If i cast and get a backlash with my spectra, i usually get to the point where the backlash is free and pull off another 20 yards or so to ensure the line below is clear before i wind back up.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Yakly

Sounds like a great day even with not bringing anything home.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
YakAttak

Great day in the water Tom. The mystery fish will keep you coming back for revenge .
It's always suck to hear someone else looses their gear
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Vikingj

Mystery fish? T-sharks have been reported in DP the past week. Thanks for your report and good luck.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote