Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Fishin the kelp with swimbaits

Can I get some advice when it comes to using swimbaits in the kelp? Seems like every cast is yealding a 100# stringer of kelp. Do I fish the outskirts of a dense stretch of forest? Find a big hole and drop into it yo-yo style? I know this is the noobish of the noob of questions but im getting frustrated and lossing alot of jig heads in the proceess. Or is that just all part of the game?

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Dave k

It all depends on the conditions. I like to use the warbaits slayer weedless heads. A little more expensive but I almost never lose them. Throw them through open lanes in the kelp, retrieving with the current as the bass usually face into the current. You can also just drop or pitch the bait into small holes ahead of you and fish vertically. Be ready to throw it in gear and swing though since you'll get lots of bites on the sink. If you want to work the edges stick with the upcurrent side. Sit on top of the kelp and cast out. Let it sink till you can feel it in the kelp and start a retrieve trying to keep the bait a few feet above the kelp stalks.

Hope this helps and sorry if there are some spelling or grammar errors as I'm doing this from my phone.

Dave
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
echo1er

I know how you feel brada. I use a weedless Jig head. To me since I'm a noob in the kelp bed as well. Its a hit or miss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weedless_jig_head_152.jpg (54.4 KB, 309 views)
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Salt Water Flies
Junior

Someone in another post mentioned the three coveted species. For me in the South East it's Bonefish, Tarpon, and the "best" Permit. Spanish Macks and Sea Trout are the daily fish. In the Northeast it's Stripers, Blue Fin, and Flounder. What do you guys fish for on the West Coast? Curious? What's the big three species out there?

Tony
Salt Water Flies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Flies View Post
Someone in another post mentioned the three coveted species. For me in the South East it's Bonefish, Tarpon, and the "best" Permit. Spanish Macks and Sea Trout are the daily fish. In the Northeast it's Stripers, Blue Fin, and Flounder. What do you guys fish for on the West Coast? Curious? What's the big three species out there?

Tony
The 3 "coveted" species are yellowtail, white seabass and halibut. Other common sport fish we catch are thresher shark and are delishious. Salt water bass are barred sand bass, calico bass and spotted bay bass. The white seabass I believw are actually from the croaker family. But dont quote me on that. Spanish macs pacific macs and a number of fin baits are common out here

Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Amish Ed

I definitely like the Slayer heads too. But, in the kelp I find myself throwing more jerkbaits on Sledheads, or with just a weedless hook.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
diehardfisher
Junior

Send a message via ICQ to diehardfisher
I never really use weedless heads, I typically just find the densest kelp possible and drop vertically through whatever hole I can get in through, preferably in front of my drift direction. You will get hit on the drop occasionally when it just stops, or if i make it to the bottom I jig it a couple times then as I am drifting past the hole I retrieve vertically through the hole.

If you get hung up on the retrieve don't horse on it and pull really hard just drop it a couple inches and give it another little pull up, usually releases on the first or second tug. My personal favorite method of bass fishing.
diehardfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Looks like im gonna be picking up some weedless jigheads. Thanks for all your suggestions especially about the current. I always forget to be mindful of the current flow when im throwing at structure or cover.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Are you using braid? If not it helps a lot.

O e thin I've really found is that when snagged change the angle you are pulling at. Paddle over and to the opposite side of the bait and give it a tug And it will usually come free easier
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

spectra (braid) will cut through kelp very well. also, look into the War Baits weedless leadheads. they are amazing for the southern california calico bass fishing. I usually just go straight into a patch of kelp, sit on top of it, and drop the lure straight down. jig up and down. the only issue is when i catch a toad fish that wraps me around. then its a waiting game of give-and-take until the braid cuts the kelp.
vincentek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

All of my reels are backed with spectra, but both by baitcasting setups have mono topshot for casting. I suppose I could strip the calcutta down to the 50# braid. That should cut the kelp nicely.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Sure does, then just leave a short leader
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Sure does, then just leave a short leader
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the braid? Doesnt it cut through the kelp at the point where its tied to the lure? Thats what I always assumed

Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
ReedperkinsHB22
Junior

ya i would suggest using a 1 to 2 ounce jig head, and using 5 to 6 1/2 inch swim baits, mc big hammers, or island plastics. if its overcast trying using darker colors and when the sun comes out you want to throw something that has some sparkle to it, i use Christmas tree or just any bait fish color when the suns out. when fishing for calico you need to fish out where there are in the water coloum, they arent always on the bottom, try different retrieve speeds. also try casting on top of the kelp then when you get to a hole put your reel in free spool and let it sink out.
hope this helps Reed
ReedperkinsHB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardfisher View Post
I never really use weedless heads,

If you get hung up on the retrieve don't horse on it and pull really hard just drop it a couple inches and give it another little pull up, usually releases on the first or second tug. My personal favorite method of bass fishing.
well said! that is the ticket...

personally, I find the weedless heads get stuck only a little less than the regular ones, but the kicker is when they do get stuck, the feathers keep them from getting unstuck...
that, to me, is way more frustrating...

practice makes perfect...
try different heads and techniques...
you'll figure it out for yourself...
that's what makes this sport so fun!
the "right way" is whatever works for you!

http://www.savecafishing.org/
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
ReedperkinsHB22
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Looks like im gonna be picking up some weedless jigheads. Thanks for all your suggestions especially about the current. I always forget to be mindful of the current flow when im throwing at structure or cover.
current is always good when fishing kelp, if it laid down then thats a great sign, also i use 50 or 65lb spectra any brand works
ReedperkinsHB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
fishsouthcounty

i like braid and the Warbaits slayer heads....they are pricey but they kill it. I have yet to lose one to the kelp while fishing either the pipe or the kelp around strands and the headlands of DP. I almost always fish over the heavy kelp and find small pockets and fish vertically over them. Do yourself a favor and go to Fred Hall this year...tons of plastics on hand, pearl, MC, Big Hammer, etc, plus the Warbaits booth with discounts on all products. Stock up at a discount. Plenty of other good offers to be had as well. Keep an eye on the bloodydecks Fred Hall Vendors Specials board and see how good it gets.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
dfroggy54
Rolly

sled heads with red flake whams or blue/silver flake whams. Those monster MC weedless swimbaits work good too.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #19
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
i like braid and the Warbaits slayer heads....they are pricey but they kill it. I have yet to lose one to the kelp while fishing either the pipe or the kelp around strands and the headlands of DP. I almost always fish over the heavy kelp and find small pockets and fish vertically over them. Do yourself a favor and go to Fred Hall this year...tons of plastics on hand, pearl, MC, Big Hammer, etc, plus the Warbaits booth with discounts on all products. Stock up at a discount. Plenty of other good offers to be had as well. Keep an eye on the bloodydecks Fred Hall Vendors Specials board and see how good it gets.
My wife hates me "stocking up" on tackle. Her favorite line is "dont you aleady have that?" So I biy my swimbaits in hand fulls every time I pass the tackle shop and slip it into my daily purchases!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Do you hits have a go to jighead color you like? I usually just go with any combo with a red head.