Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Harry Hill

new to salt

well, I'm glad I looked here, it answers my question as to why I'm getting a black screen with the words no video at the bottom. I'm new to kayaking and kayak fishing but not new to fishing, been fishing for over 60 years. I want to come to La Jolla to fish but I can see I'm going to need a ton of help. How do I get started. I live in Yucaipa, CA so not too far away but I think it would be best to start out with a mentor. I'm reading the threads about setting up bait tanks and catching bait but tackle is a question for me, is my striper tackle adequate for fishing the kelp beds, it's handled some pretty big stripers. Do I need an anchor? I would tell you about my yak but I don't want to get laughed at too soon in the game. Anyway, thanks for any help in advance. I copied this from another thread to save myself some typing.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
HobieScot

Welcome to the BWE Boards Harry. I think you will find that the members on this board are a wealth of knowledge and more importantly willing to share that knowledge and help others. Especially people who are new to kayak fishing.

Your striper set up will work for the kelp beds. You will mostly catch calicos in the kelp. Just outside the kelp you may run into larger species.

What is your striper set up? What rod n reel and what pound braid and Flourocarbon or mono?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Harry Hill

new to salt

Ugly StikStriper Rod, right now Ambassadeur reel with 50#braid, leader depends on what it biting, right now 3# to 10# Striper on flylined anchovies, let the boat fight the fish. I don't have a gaff but I do have a lip grabber that keeps the hooks out of my hands. My boat is a Bass Pro Ascend FS12T sit on top. I know I need to put a bait tank on it. I have a fish finder, I'm not happy with the rod holder but I can work with it. Since I'm new to the hobby I didn't want to invest thousands until I knew what I was doing. I still wear a PFD but it looks like most don't. How far out do we paddle to get out of the reserve and into fishable waters? Will my yak do for right now? Is a five gallon bucket adequate for a live well? I can set up a circulation system. Lots of questions, and I really appreciate the help.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Dave Legacy

FWIW I'm new to fishing from a kayak and I'm not fussing with a bait tank yet, but I'm partial to fishing big weedless swimbaits. If you just want to get aquainted with the kelp you could screw around with cut baits and artificials and still have a good time.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:14 AM   #5
Harry Hill

new to salt

that is good to know. Does anyone where PFD's out there. I feel like a doofus because I've been wearing one at the lake and no one else is. I look at the pictures of the people out at the kelp beds fishing and I don't see any. I had both knees replaced in the last year so it limits my flexibility some. I think I need to go out with someone a time or two so I can see what is going on. Do people use a swivel between their braid and leader?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
spicolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
that is good to know. Does anyone where PFD's out there. I feel like a doofus because I've been wearing one at the lake and no one else is. I look at the pictures of the people out at the kelp beds fishing and I don't see any. I had both knees replaced in the last year so it limits my flexibility some. I think I need to go out with someone a time or two so I can see what is going on. Do people use a swivel between their braid and leader?
Welcome Harry. PFD's are required to have on board, but not wear. Use your own discretion, but safety first.

I have been fishing 65# green braid with a 25# fluoro leader, connected with a SPRO Power swivel (#6) with success. I've also use an uni to uni knot (check youtube) to connect braid to fluoro when using a longer leader/top shot. Both have worked fine @LJ...no advantage/disadvantage for me with either, although I like the swivel because I'm cheap and use less fluoro

The cool thing that you'll discover about this community is there are a lot of "people helping people". I've learned a lot from these boards and even more from chatting with guys on the water. The best learning? Get out on the water...cheers!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
Harry Hill

new to salt

I will be out there soon, but first there are some dove that have been threatening my bird dog so tomorrow we have to go stop that bullying. Once I get that out of my system I am headed to La Jolla. Is there a best time to get out there or is it more dependent on tide and the moon?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
Harry Hill

do I need GPS when I'm out there to make sure I stay in the legal area?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Raul

im fairly new to la jolla fishing but i always have my pdf on when fishing of my kayak and i dont have a gps just head out pass the bouy almost by the start of the kelp then you can fish thats what i was told

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #10
Zed
BANNED

Im pretty old to kayak fishing and always wear a pfd despite spending lots of time in/around the waves n water. Your choice to wear one but having one is the law.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
Harry Hill

I guess I won't look too out of place wearing my PFD. I never wore one when I was canoeing but I was a lot younger then and a strong swimmer. Now I'm old and fat and a good sinker. I'm looking forward to my first trip to La Jolla.