Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

BRTF MLPA Meet Oct 21 - Pics

Thank you people for fighting the good fight!

Due to bandwidth issues, the pics will be blocked in short order. Enjoy while you can.

peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
JoeBeck

We put up a good fight once again why MAP 2 should be supported. Lots of kayakers, lots of fishermen, a lot of people working togeather. Great work all
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
yaksailor

Bing, was that you waling around taking pics? I didn't recognize you without your sunglasses! Yeah, those blue shirt ladies were pissed after you took their pic in #31. I was right behind them with my wife and son.
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Grego

That woman in the bottom left corner wearing the black shirt was a HOTTIE! She even got up and commented!

Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool pics, that one of the bus'd in kids says it all. I spoke to one of the kids sitting next to me, and she was highly cluess as to the process, the maps, why we were there, citing "Her brothers and uncles fish, and never catch anything, so there must not be any fish left in the ocean." I politely told her, its probably because they do not know how to fish. She agreed.

But had a fishing group bus'd teens in, and slapped black shirts with #2 on them, I am sure the teens would have been fine with that too. Someone remarked that their presence at this meeting was disingenuos to the BRTF. The next speaker to support proposal 3, ditched his speech, as if he was defending them, stating it their first public process, and that it is not disingenuos, etc. I felt, if they were there for a public process, they should not have been force fed a viewpoint, nor wore blue, or black shirts, but made up their own minds based on those speaking, and the maps.

But then again, a majority of them were bored as hell, walking around, either playing social games with eachother (remember when you were a teen and around the opposite sex) or playing on their iphones/pods.

Without the bus'd in kids, we outnumbered the Anti-Fishing side 10-1.

Thanks again for turning out, it was a special thing to be a part of last night seeing fishing groups come together.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
That woman in the bottom left corner wearing the black shirt was a HOTTIE!
Grego I am sure she will want to know who the compliment is coming from......the one on the far right

There were so many speaking on our half that knocked it out of the park. I about died with the slide presentation that surveyed the pier fishermen, backing #3. claiming smaller and less fish......it should have read "all my fish are now only 6 inches so I have to take 30 bass home"

It was so ridiculous to survey fishermen not required to even purchase a license or have a clue as to what size and bag limits are.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
cjthomas

The best was when they started talking about how much revenue California receives from fishermen. It's something like 80 million....not including fishing licenses...

I would hope that makes more of an impact than some bused-in kid making general statements about our ocean.
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Grego I am sure she will want to know who the compliment is coming from......the one on the far right

There were so many speaking on our half that knocked it out of the park. I about died with the slide presentation that surveyed the pier fishermen, backing #3. claiming smaller and less fish......it should have read "all my fish are now only 6 inches so I have to take 30 bass home"

It was so ridiculous to survey fishermen not required to even purchase a license or have a clue as to what size and bag limits are.
Hahaha that presentation was rather ignorant. to be honest 90% of the poachers are pier fisherman. The reason why thier is no fish or to small of fish in thier pier locations is becuase of them overtaking. they have very little knowlege of the reproduction size range, DFG Size regulations. But there Survey didnt answer that. When the gal spoke about how they have full time jobs and couldnt make it, or there was a language barrier, i just about starting laughing.

Its easy for pier fisherman to vote for map 3, the acual closures cant contain piers within them. Those anglers dont lose access. many could possibly be illegal, dont pay for fishing liscense, and i know for sure dont follow regulations. I frequent the Balboa, and Newport Beach Piers during the evening. I know what i seen. alot of poachers, and No DFG enforcement, hell the poachers dont even try to hide it half the time.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
robmandel

for the record, I too am a pubic high school teacher and I NEVER, EVER, bring my politics into the classroom. that teacher was absolutely disgusting, a disgrace to the profession and demonstrated conduct unbecoming. he paraded those kids around like circus animals in a shameless and reprehensible display.

I was humbled to be in league with so many great people last night. our kids...truly amazing. thankfully I didn't have to follow them

most striking thing from last night was the dividing line: adults on one side, kids on the other. in more than one sense.

I just wanted the BRTF to know there's a huge human cost and you all do not deserve this. we've lost either way. WG2 is NOT a victory, but simply the least loss. that's it. don't know how I held myself back. took alot of effort.

thanks for being an amazing extended family. here's to ya
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Yeah, what Rod said. Nice to chat with you last night, and way to control your frustration when you spoke.
I think the most stupid speech came early in the first session from a Laguna City Council member. She said that some animal rescue org. was being swamped by baby sealions that were washing up on the beach because they were starving. Supposedly because there were too many bait boats on the water. You can be sure that if there are bait boats fishing there is more than enough Dines to go around.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Robmandel hit it right outta the park. He brought up an important point: the environmentalists lose nothing in this process. The Marine Life Protection Act was specifically designed to target consumptive users. The enviros never had to bargain, because any closure is already a loss for our side. We are just trying to minimize the damage.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
tattuna

I also like what Rob's been saying all along. If proposal 2 were to pass, those who oppose it would lose ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! We still lose.

More pics....