Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

WSB South OC

Hello!

I just wanted to start a discussion about local wsb numbers. I spend most of my time launching out of newport harbor or state beaches in CDM but I often launch out of Dana Point (not as much) my parents live in town there. I was hoping for any information that will help me locate, hook into, and land a wsb in south orange county.

Has anyone heard of more wsb numbers off the headlands/strands/creek/DanaPoint versus somewhere like CDM/Newport?

Been mostly fishing pretty good sized greenbacks (seem to be catching more of those than anything else) either dropper looped or on a carolina rig. Also if there is a lot of bait/dolphins/seals I've thrown Scrambled egg & Mack pattern irons.

Any and all information is appreciated, been putting in some serious time on the water to locate these fish in my area, I've hooked up a few times the last month into what felt like good fish but only to be broken off rather quickly(no confirmation they were wsb either) .... all indications are that April/May is prime time for the big wsb in southern cal and I do not want to wait another year!!!! If you can bag a ghost in Mexico, Central Cal, and all the way up in Oregon/Washington State then it does not make sense to me that they aren't around in southern orange county if there is ample bait and habitat. any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Anthony
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
CalicoCody

Anthony,

I am planning to fish Newport on Saturday in search of WSB, halibut, or Thresher (and if none of that hits, rockfish). I havent scored a seabass yet from the kayak either so I can't offer any advice from experience, but if you want to give it a go with me on Saturday your company is more than welcome. I do know that halibut bite well with the moon and I have read that seabass do as well and we do have a new moon friday night so Saturday should be a good day to give it a shot. Let me know...

Cody
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I fished Crystal Cove last Friday AM and it looked really promising. Corona del Mar, not so much. Plenty of greenbacks around Pelican Point, deeper kelp. I have put in a fair amount of time here and still looking for the Newport ghost.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoCody View Post
Anthony,

I am planning to fish Newport on Saturday in search of WSB, halibut, or Thresher (and if none of that hits, rockfish). I havent scored a seabass yet from the kayak either so I can't offer any advice from experience, but if you want to give it a go with me on Saturday your company is more than welcome. I do know that halibut bite well with the moon and I have read that seabass do as well and we do have a new moon friday night so Saturday should be a good day to give it a shot. Let me know...

Cody
Hey Cody, sounds good I'd love to tag along! I was planning on launching Saturday as well. I have not landed one either, these fish are haunting my dreams! Let me know when you plan to launch sounds like fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I fished Crystal Cove last Friday AM and it looked really promising. Corona del Mar, not so much. Plenty of greenbacks around Pelican Point, deeper kelp. I have put in a fair amount of time here and still looking for the Newport ghost.

I guess promising is good to hear! Last few times i've been out there greenbacks have been pretty easy to come by, hopefully that continues. Well shit, sounds like my best option is to get out there as much as possible....increase those odds haha thanks for the info
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Raskal311

U guys got room for one more?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
CalicoCody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
U guys got room for one more?
The more the merrier... if we can't find the right kind and end up fishing rockfish we can split up and cover more ground looking for hard bottom and once someone finds it we can all try to sack up on taco meat.

I like to launch at Kid Beach (on Balboa Blvd.) Let's meet up there around 6-6:30?

I checked the forecast... 0-1ft swell at long intervals (grease calm in other words) and 4kts of wind all day. Epic.

Last edited by CalicoCody; 05-09-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Raskal311

Quote:
The more the merrier... if we can't find the right kind and end up fishing rockfish we can split up and cover more ground looking for hard bottom and once someone finds it we can all try to sack up on taco meat.

I like to launch at Kid Beach (on Balboa Blvd.) Let's meet up there around 6-6:30?

I checked the forecast... 0-1ft swell at long intervals (grease calm in other words) and 4kts of wind all day. Epic.
Sounds like a plan I'll be there by 6am. I'm a bit of a pack rat so i'll need some extra time to setup. I'll bring a box of squid for the taco meat.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
FishNinjaY

Dang. Wish I could join you guys. How long do u think you'll be out there? Hmm. So tempting..

Good luck fellas! Post up some pics!

>< €))>
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Last week the street was closed and I had to park over 2 blocks away so bring wheels and check the temporary street signs, some spots say permit only.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
Raskal311

Incase we aren't able to meet at the same launch spot i'll be on Ch 71.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
ftufc
Junior

I'm not that familiar with Newport Beaches and couldn't find "Kid Beach", but I'd like to try to find it.

Where, on this map, will you guys be meeting? And where will you look to fish?

http://gis.newportbeachca.gov/gispub...p/default.aspx
ftufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
Raskal311

Between Granada and M street on balboa blvd E. look for a small patch of sand with a dock.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

That's thee spot. I have most likely seen you on the docks or out in the water.

Anyway, my room mate was wanting to launch before sunrise. Any takers?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
CalicoCody

Anyone tried the coastguard station? How far from kid beach is it to drive. I don't have wheels to walk at kid beach if the road is closed
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
MrM

Quote:
Anyone tried the coastguard station? How far from kid beach is it to drive. I don't have wheels to walk at kid beach if the road is closed

Never launched from kid Beach, but the CG station is my go-to spot. Limited parking in the lot, but there's street parking too. Gets full after 0730. Bathrooms, showers, etc. Its an easy walk to the water. I always use wheels, though. You could drag through the soft sand if you needed, maybe 75 yards? Lot hours are 0600 to 2200 I believe.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

The road being closed does not cause that many problems... Watch out for some of the residents
Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
Raskal311

Quote:
Its on the other side of the harbor. Good spot if you arrive before 6:30ish. But the sand is soft and non sand wheels are worthless. Using the for right sidewalk is a good option if your yak isn't wide like my PA.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Last week the street was closed and I had to park over 2 blocks away so bring wheels and check the temporary street signs, some spots say permit only.
Yup.. the side along Kid Beach is definitely closed, but you can get to the sidewalk via open driveways. Also, there is a short retaining wall on Kid Beach, but if multiple people are going, that shouldn't be a problem. Solo.. it was a pain in the ass and I basically drop rolled my kayak off the wall.

I think K Street is better access, and parking if you are going that early.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftufc View Post
I'm not that familiar with Newport Beaches and couldn't find "Kid Beach", but I'd like to try to find it.

Where, on this map, will you guys be meeting? And where will you look to fish?
I don't know where people are meeting and fishing, since I can't make this... but this is Kid Beach:

go to: maps.google.com

enter these GPS coordinates into the Search box: 33.598644,-117.883373

You can click on "Directions" to get driving turn-by-turn directions. Pretty easy to find. Street parking might be a problem, so bring wheels, and don't load your rods vertical until you're on the sand (low hanging trees along sidewalks)

Good luck fellas..
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
CalicoCody

Can somebody post coordinates to the K Street launch site?

If kid beach is going to be a hassle lets either go for cg station or k street.