Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoCody View Post
Can somebody post coordinates to the K Street launch site?

If kid beach is going to be a hassle lets either go for cg station or k street.

It's just a few blocks up the street from Kid Beach.

put these GPS coordinates into Google: 33.599826,-117.886898
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
jbara

not recent but its been done

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=jbara
jbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
Raskal311

Quote:

Its just a few blocks before kids beach. Do you have a radio?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #24
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:

Im still going to launch at kids beach as early as possible with my roommate and unfortunately do not have a radio but we will see you guys out there (yellow OK prowler)

I am up for what you suggested Cody, heading south to Crystal Cove area and depending on how that goes heading back out towards the canyon for some rockfish. Look forward to seeing you guys out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbara View Post

Probably the most satisfaction I've gotten from a damn youtube video in a long while... are in the backyard...all we need now is a lot of luck and none of this

nice share, thanks!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbara View Post
Mr. jbara.. that's awesome! What is "CG beach"?

that must suck .. catching a fish SO big that the fish gets in the way of using your mirage pedal drives to haul it back to shore. Happy paddle!

Last edited by FishNinjaY; 05-10-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: ?CG?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
CalicoCody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Its just a few blocks before kids beach. Do you have a radio?
Yup! Just went to west marine and got one of their floating models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Mr. jbara.. that's awesome! What is "CG beach"?
CG= Coast guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
Im still going to launch at kids beach as early as possible with my roommate and unfortunately do not have a radio but we will see you guys out there (yellow OK prowler)

I am up for what you suggested Cody, heading south to Crystal Cove area and depending on how that goes heading back out towards the canyon for some rockfish. Look forward to seeing you guys out there!
Check your PM
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
Raskal311

Quote:
Yup! Just went to west marine and got one of their floating models.

CG= Coast guard

Check your PM
If by chance I don't catch you at the launch ill be hanging around the bait receiver to test the water.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #28
skunked
Jr. Junior

wouldve joined y'all this morning if not for boys soccer. maybe next time, been itching to get out again. hope y'all have some good stories and pics to share.
skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
CalicoCody

Looked around for you guys and didn't see anyone! Had my radio on 71 but not a peep all day. Oh well. I got the skunk. Passed up on buying bait from the barge (bad idea) tried looking for some and couldn't find any. Tried looking for rockfish in 150-200 ft and couldn't find any. At least I found out that my new bait tank and sonar work

Next time will be better...
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #30
Raskal311

Quote:
Looked around for you guys and didn't see anyone! Had my radio on 71 but not a peep all day. Oh well. I got the skunk. Passed up on buying bait from the barge (bad idea) tried looking for some and couldn't find any. Tried looking for rockfish in 150-200 ft and couldn't find any. At least I found out that my new bait tank and sonar work

Next time will be better...
Sorry bro, my buddy called last night and wanted to join so I didn't make it to kids beach until 6:45. Had to pack his gear on my truck. I called out on 71 at 7:00am and 8:00am and got no responds. How did you do? Landed a few short sand bass. Went out to the shelf and didn't see a single fish on the ff.

Last edited by Raskal311; 05-11-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #31
CalicoCody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Sorry bro, my buddy called last night and wanted to join so I didn't make it to kids beach until 6:45. Had to pack his gear on my truck. I called out on 71 at 7:00am and 8:00am and got no responds. How did you do? Landed a few short sand bass. Went out to the shelf and didn't see a single fish on the ff.
I actually got a late start too... slept thru my alarms

I paddled out past the bait barge and thought to myself "should I buy bait?" and I said "nah I will find it and make it myself" well after an hour of looking for bait and nothing more than a few pinhead anchovies flipping around on the top of the water, I went out to deep water... I have never tried metering for rockfish... do they show up well on the sonar or are they difficult to make out since they are so far down/close to the structure? Looked around there for another hour or so, swell started picking up and I decided to head in because I thought being out there solo was asking for trouble in a building swell. Didn't even bother to fish the harbor since I neglected to bring my plastic setup/lighter gear. Paddled in and headed for home. Off the water by noon-ish.

yak and gear are still on my car... contemplating fishing Cabrillo tomorrow since it's closer and I have more experience fishing that harbor.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #32
FishNinjaY

Quote:
I paddled out past the bait barge and thought to myself "should I buy bait?" and I said "nah I will find it and make it myself"
What's the best way to fish bait out in the deeper waters like the canyons? What are you targeting? I know in the canyons, people are hunting the threshers.. which I'm not really looking to mess with just yet...

What about ?

How do you best rig your bait? Flyline it? Collar hook? I got the impression these are best thrown near kelp areas?

Thanks for any tips.

CC... sorry for the slow day. At least you got out there yesterday! I'm still trying to figure Newport out. I'm hoping next weekend sometime, and for sure Memorial Day looks good.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #33
Raskal311

Quote:
I actually got a late start too... slept thru my alarms

I paddled out past the bait barge and thought to myself "should I buy bait?" and I said "nah I will find it and make it myself" well after an hour of looking for bait and nothing more than a few pinhead anchovies flipping around on the top of the water, I went out to deep water... I have never tried metering for rockfish... do they show up well on the sonar or are they difficult to make out since they are so far down/close to the structure? Looked around there for another hour or so, swell started picking up and I decided to head in because I thought being out there solo was asking for trouble in a building swell. Didn't even bother to fish the harbor since I neglected to bring my plastic setup/lighter gear. Paddled in and headed for home. Off the water by noon-ish.

yak and gear are still on my car... contemplating fishing Cabrillo tomorrow since it's closer and I have more experience fishing that harbor.
Barge only had dines there were a lot of macs at the mouth in the middle. I zig zacked 120-180 feet for about an hr and didn't see a single fish on the FF. A few PB showed up the left within 10 minuets. Fished the kelp beds for about three hours for nada then decided to have some fun and switched to small hooks and hooked up a few dozen randome reef fish. At around 1 I head in to the harbor and fished for about another hour. Landed a few short calico on plastic and got a Hali hit trolling a dine but no hookup; it bit the dine in half.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
CalicoCody

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
What's the best way to fish bait out in the deeper waters like the canyons? What are you targeting? I know in the canyons, people are hunting the threshers.. which I'm not really looking to mess with just yet...

What about ?

How do you best rig your bait? Flyline it? Collar hook? I got the impression these are best thrown near kelp areas?

Thanks for any tips.

CC... sorry for the slow day. At least you got out there yesterday! I'm still trying to figure Newport out. I'm hoping next weekend sometime, and for sure Memorial Day looks good.
I was looking for rockfish in the deep water. Didnt see any on the sonar. I havent targeted them from my yak yet, only on skiffs/passenger boats. I fish heavy weights in deep water (8oz all the way up to 1 pound or more if the current is moving) as for bait I have used live squid frozen squid and sardines and all produce equally well.

As for the seabass- again, I don't have much experience but I DO know that if you troll your baits you want them down low in the water column... so you would tie a torpedo sinker to your main line with your leader off of that or you can use a sliding egg sinker too I suppose. I would nose hook the bait, collar hooking might work too. And if you found and made live squid, fish it near the squid beds with your bait suspended a couple feet off the bottom. Pin two on a heavy glow/white jig and hold on when something takes it. This is all stuff I have read from other people's experience and how-to articles and such... if anyone else has info that they are willing to share please chime in.

I really want to go back out... next Saturday would be cool- I am down with anywhere. I am unavailable on the saturday of memorial day weekend but sunday would work. I went to cabrillo this morning and thought it'd be a great sunny day like yesterday... I woke up to the sun peeking thru the blinds at 5:45 packed a lunch and got to the ramp at a little before 7 and the visibility was 100 yards at best due to fog so I turned around and came home and now it's gorgeous outside this weekend wasn't meant to be!