Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2014, 03:59 AM   #21
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
Been waiting for you to get back and post!
PROPS to MOMO for lending you 2-speed reels to use.
Did you even use a single speed reel to catch a fish and experience the difference between a single vs. a 2-speed reel? What about the Spectra? Your thoughts/observations on both?
Looks like you made some 'Gal Pals' and had quite the haul!
15 @ Clemente!
I'm kind of wondering what the Cortez and Tanner Banks were like since you were close (relative) and any reports of 200#+BF Homeguards out there.
How did you Gals get 'em all home? Looks like a job for a stakebed or larger truck!
Nice to hear/see you gals '' most/some of the guys.
I'm not trying to harsh your mellow but keep in mind this is an unusual El Niño year and it's not a typical El Niño. The 'Major' ones (this seems to be just shy of a Major) can last a couple/few years and 'can' extended a normal season into mid-November or further (very dependant on the length of the Hurricane season). I remember fishing/trolling "the channel" (Catalina) and hooking Albacore (from 25-60# anyone remember this? Graphite spools on Spinning reels and on Conventionals 'exploding' & 20-30# outfits being spooled! ) in December '83.
When the water cools down enough for the squid to return to spawn that will signal the end of the event.
Some I've talked to are telling me they haven't seen an El Niño like this in 20+ years or when I was decking on the boats up here in 30+ (the ones that have been around that long)! I'm waiting to see if the 25-40#+ albies () show up in mid-late October or if/whenever the water cools down to their comfort range 62-68 degrees)!
Looking forward to, patiently waiting for the Big Eye Tuna to show up within overnight range, praying for Albie's to show and more Dorado off kelp up to "the Horseshoe"!
You may have just experienced possibly a once/twice in a lifetime event! Some day in the future you'll be able to say "I was out there in '14 when...", then you pull out the CD or digital picture frame or picture.
Did you take any video?
Hopefully I'll receive the medical surgeries/treatments (or at least epidurals) needed to fix or at least relieve my back pain and spasms and get in on the fun by the end of the year (to fill my freezer)!
Then exercise during the winter to whip myself into good enough shape to get out on a 7-10 day 'skiff/kayak trip on "The Royal Star" or "Excel" next year (a little ambitious with surgery though), one of the Islander Kayak trips and of course at least one/or more trips with "MakoBob" on the spring "Baja or Bust" trips (maybe we'll meet on one of these trips) and still have time and ability for a few of my Fly Fishing excursions at the end of the year (fall).
This El Niño has motivated me into planning on reducing the pile of blanks sitting in a corner I bought but never finished and replacing the guides on all my rods that need replacing with SIC guides as most standard Perfection guides would get trashed like a "HOT Knife Thru Butter" by Power Pro with the exception of the new 'Slick 8' (which is useless in kelp)!
I'm very happy you got a chance to experience this EPIC event!
Speaking from experience I'll always treasure, be thankful for and never forget the '83-'84 season and the minor one in '91!
Congrats on the 2nd place JP and good eats.
FFY

Than you sir. Yes, I did note the difference between one and two speed (I to Momo!). During the first part of the YT bite, I used a yoyo iron with my old Newel. Caught a bunch bit it kicked my @$$! Then I saw the guys were doing just fine with baits and I was tired with that yoyo so I switched. Momo gave me his 40# outfit with a nice Avet two speed to match. Was getting bit all day with that. Momo chime in if you would. I know it was a Seeker Rod and an Avet two speed but I am bad about knowing my models.

Anyway the difference was night and day! It was still tough but I was getting the fish to gaff in half the time as the Newell and a lot less painful! So the Spectra... I don't believe I got the full experience as I put it as backing (to increase line capacity). On top of that I put 75 to 100 yds mono (I like the feel, stretch and casting and I am old school!). Then a very short (less than 3' ) of floro for top shot. The combo for me was perfect.

And yes FFY, I do realize this is a special year. I too was involved in the industry in the 90's and experienced the minor El Niño. It too was off the charts. Even though I know the fishing won't be like that next year, I believe Cpt Mike Lackey will find us some fish!

Good luck on getting ready for a 2015 filled with fishing!
Janine
Old 09-30-2014, 06:05 AM   #22
Deamon

Janine! Those green boots...how much? I can only imagine showing up to LJ Shores with those baby's and all the tourists saying: "Wow...that old dude must be the real deal"...

And another thing...is that Swiss luggage?

hahahahaha!!!

Jim
Attached Images

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #23
blitzburgh

Holy cow! Nice work!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #24
ful-rac
Emperor

Nice work Janine! Glad you got em'!

Those boots do have to go though....
Old 09-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
h2ofishfo

Those boot are lucky charms and the tuna are magically delicious !!
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #26
JeffB

Very nice Janine! Sounds like you're going to have sore arms for a while. Very nice butt! Don't forget that I still have your rod, you never came to get it.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #27
walrus

Now, you're spoiled! After a trip like that, how can you expect anything to be as good?

O.K. there's always Baja. fishing in a kayak with lighter tackle, catching a lot of smaller fish, and then the big one that tows you around for thirty minutes before you even see what it is. Now, that I think about it your not completely spoiled rotten, you still need to get a Baja experience in your bucket. Keep dreaming.

Congrats on the great trip and fantastic report.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Janine! Those green boots...how much? I can only imagine showing up to LJ Shores with those baby's and all the tourists saying: "Wow...that old dude must be the real deal"...

And another thing...is that Swiss luggage?

hahahahaha!!!

Jim
Nuthin but the best baby, green boots, swiss luggage and all!

J
Old 09-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #29
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

Nice catch WTG
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #30
momo fish

Yup it was a MXJ and JX 2 speed with seeker classic rods. The smaller is my favorite for fish to 30-40 and JX for jumbos. All have spectra with 100 yards mono.

Makes a world of difference on tougher fish especially on a boat. For kayak I still use single speed reels for a few reasons.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Yup it was a MXJ and JX 2 speed with seeker classic rods. The smaller is my favorite for fish to 30-40 and JX for jumbos. All have spectra with 100 yards mono.

Makes a world of difference on tougher fish especially on a boat. For kayak I still use single speed reels for a few reasons.

Your gear made the trip for me. I am serious!

janine
Old 09-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden View Post
Nice catch WTG
Thank you Caden!

J
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #33
FISH11

Great pictures. That's a lot of fish. If you didn't already have one, I guess you'll be buying a stand alone freezer.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #34
CalicoCody

that is a QUALITY yft! Nicely done!!!
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoCody View Post
that is a QUALITY yft! Nicely done!!!
Thank you sir...

J
Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #36
kaya_one

that is so epic. great story.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #37

Once in a lifetime action...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya_one View Post
that is so epic. great story.
I doubt I will ever see fishing like that again, in my lifetime. But I will keep trying nonetheless!

J