Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Drake

Losing Irons to the kelp!

Ugh, I'm down $30 in irons in 2 days.

Anyone have suggestions on how to NOT lose Irons to the kelp? I avoid casting into the heavy stuff as much as I can, I even shorten my casts (I can usually get it out 60-70 yards, but keep it to 30-40 so I at least know where its going.

If it get hung up, I usually avoid tugging on it, so it doesn't get embedded, paddle over the kelp and try and work it up.

Anyone have suggestions for me, it's getting expensive and frustrating lol.

Last edited by Drake; 09-18-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
driftwood

Yeah, Don't drop the iron to the bottom. and get a fishfinder so you can see the kelp. And if you do get the iron stuck on the kelp grab the line with your hand and pull straight up. 95 percent of the the time the iron will pop out from the kelp. Hope this helps. (Gabe)
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Dennis

Get on top of your line and twist it around the handle of your pliers. The swell should be enough to free your jig..
Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
GregAndrew

What # line are you using, and what knots?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
What # line are you using, and what knots?
20# braid with 30# floro leader
Usually Braid -> 120lb crane swivel via improved fishermans/clinch knot

Leader to swivel with improved clinch

Leader to ring on iron with palomer
Old 09-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
gabe

Get rid of the swivel. Your iron will swim better.

Gabe
Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

I think your major problem is the line....if targeting YT, cbass exc near the kelp... 50,65 or even 80lb spectra to a short 30 or 40lb flouro leader is the norm...

For the iron use strait 40lb mono...you'll loose less jigs.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
CalicoCody

X2 on the straight 40lb mono for jigs. I have had weird experiences with the Palomar knot breaking before... and since then, I have stuck with the standard San Diego jam knot, or even a Double San Diego jam (ties the same way as the single, just double the line thru the eye/ring).
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
GregAndrew

You are much more likely to be able to pull an iron out with #30+ test (as long as you are comfortable being able to break that off). The San Diego Jam on the lure ring for sure. I am happy with the Trilene Knot for swivels and hooks. Lube the line before tightening knots and retie any knot that does not look or cinch up good.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/knots.htm
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Drake

Just curious why you guys suggest mono when I can think of more benifits to braid? I must be overlooking a major benifit to mono?

Braid can cut the kelp, is stronger, and casts further? What am I missing?
Thanks for the help
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

When you are targeting fish over the kelp it would be to your benefit to throw irons with spectra and a short leader. 80 lb Power Pro Slick 40-50lb flouro. Depending on your outfit, the rod may be able to withstand the shock of a strike. My personal beef stick, which is strictly used when the fish are over the kelp, is an Ulua and Saltist 40 H with 80lb Power Pro Slick 40 lb Seaguar. I don't use the outfit in open water, but for those other times braid makes life a lot easier. I will say that you should not be getting stuck in the kelp with irons unless you have a fish dug in there or you've got a backlash. Yo-yo irons should be worked in open water when the fish are keyed in on bait close to the bottom. Surface irons should be worked above the kelp, but preferably in front of schooling fish. Good luck!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #12
Drake

I throw Irons with a 6'6'' Trevala and a Saragossa 4000F (I know I know, you all hate spinning reels) - I can consistently get in the 60yd range with this set up, which I'm happy with for a 6'6" rod lol.

TVS66MH 6'6"
Moderate Fast
Medium Heavy
50-100 Line Wt
110-240gm Lure weight (About 3 1/2 - 8oz)

Its specifically designed for jigging, so, it takes hit really well.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
taggermike

I'm going to echo the other posters. Use at least 30 but better 40 for iron fishing. I've gone as high as 60. You can pull hard enough to break any kelp with that line. I fish plastics and bait w/spectra but I don't feel comfortable using it for the surface iron yet. As for rod length, 6-6 is a bit short, even for a spinning outfit. Fish don't tend to spook from kayaks the way they do larger boats and you can always take a few extra strokes to get a bit closer, but there really is no substitute for casting distance. My jig sticks are a calstar 90j at 9' and a seeker ulua 93H at 9-3. Others on this board use 10-0s. 8' might be a good place for you to start. There are some good tutorial videos on bloody decks about surface iron casting technique. Of course the HUGE difference on the yak is you're casting that long rod while sitting on your ass. Maybe a BWE member can make a tutorial about their sea level long rod technique. After seeing his recent vid I think The Kid may be the man for the job. And don't over look a bit of practice from the shore or from the yak in open water. When a big spot of boiling YT pops up in front of you is not the time to wonder how you cast. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoCody View Post
X2 on the straight 40lb mono for jigs. I have had weird experiences with the Palomar knot breaking before... and since then, I have stuck with the standard San Diego jam knot, or even a Double San Diego jam (ties the same way as the single, just double the line thru the eye/ring).

The trick to the Palomar Knot is to make sure you tie it correctly... Not saying you didn't but a lot of people just go through the motions and don't make sure the LOOP is above the Knot. It will cut a 97% knot down to like 20% if tied wrong.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote