Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
jorluivil

Originally Posted by jorluivil
So I've seen these glow sticks at Home Depot for a few months now and finally decided to buy some and see if I could modify them for hooping.

First reason to buy these is because they come with free battery replacements for life, just pay shipping and handling....I know, I know that's not exactly free but it only cost $15 to replace the batteries on 6 glow sticks. Lifegear also sends you a prepaid envelope to return the old batteries for proper disposal. Not sure how many of you know this but it is illegal to throw batteries in the trash. The last time I bought batteries for my Promar sticks I bought them at Walmart, they sell a similar set of batteries for $5.00+tax, $6 X 6 packs= $36........50% savings by going with the Lifegear brand.

Second reason to buy these is because they come with three way lighting. Orange solid, orange flashing, and a flashlight at the tip, this part of the light can be reversed and used as a solid white white on the glow stick.

First thing I did was cut off the whistle that sits at the bottom of the glow stick, you can leave it on but it just makes the glow stick that much longer and gets in the way. Once you cutoff the whistle you can attach it to your PFD, hopefully you'll never need it but it's good to have one.

Next thing was to Goop three areas of the glow stick, you want to Goop the part that has the flashlight, the on/off button and the area where the two pieces come together. Because Goop is slightly flexible once it dries it still allows you to use the on/off button after the Goop dries.

About the only downfall to these is that they have a one hour timer on them, I looked at the circuit board to see if I could bypass the time but I couldn't figure out which part of it was the timer. I figured this out the hard way, three of the glow sticks turned off minutes apart from each other while I was hopping. The way to avoid this is to simply turn them off and on each time you pull your net(s). However, because they do have a timer you'll never have to worry about them turning on after you put them away, this happens to my Promar sticks a lot, the copper contact touches the battery and.......you know the rest.

Promar makes a god product but if you can get something for less and make it work by making slight modifications why not? You can get three of these for just under $8, that's under $3 each compared to a price of $6 for each for the Promars.

The Lifegear sticks made sense when they were under $3(as stated on the last sentence). The chances of finding these for under $6 now is like getting a fish report from Buskid, ain't gonna happen. Since the price of the Lifegear sticks practically doubled it was no longer worth it to modify them, that's why I went with the Promar sticks.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

wallyworld has them around 3.50.
I liked them on my first outing, second outing is when it started to take water. ( I didn't take the precautionary measures to insure it would stay dry.)
Now I will use your method of goop. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #23
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
like getting a fish report from Buskid, ain't gonna happen.
undelete me from your friendsterbookspace!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
jorluivil

Thumbs up GREAT NEWS!!

I just got off the phone with Jason from American Maple(Promar)......cooolest dude in the world. Apologized for the issue, asked me to mail them to their office and they'd have new ones sent to me immediately!

I like the fact that he said, "We stand by our product".

He also mentioned that as far as he knows I am the first and only customer to call or report issues with these new sticks......that's good news for those of you that purchased similar sticks.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
jorluivil

Talking More Great News!!!

American Maple/Promar called me back to confirm that they received my glow sticks today(wasn't expecting them to arrive until Friday). Talked to Jason and was told that nothing was wrong with the glow sticks. He did state that because these were new he would hold on to them to see if he could reproduce the problem that I reported. He did ask me to let everyone know that if any of you have any issues with the new sticks to please call him, they will work with you on getting replacements if the issue is a manufacturers defect. Thanks to Jason and Promar for their outstanding customer service!!!!!!!!

You can reach American Maple/Promar at 310-515-8884

Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #26
BigSexyFritz
Junior

we used them for the first time on monday and had no issues with them.... But I guess we will see what happens the next time we turn them on.
BigSexyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #27
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Jorge,

Did you forget to remove the little plastic thing between the batteries.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Jorge,

Did you forget to remove the little plastic thing between the batteries.
Yeah, I did. I also forgot to remove them from the packaging

Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Hunters Pa

Jason is a really good guy and has been kayak fishing for a long time, before it became popular. He is a kayak fisherman first and then went to work for American Maple because of his passion for the sport.

Seriously, any problems with Promar/Ahi products, let them know. I have worked with them for the past couple Fred Hall shows and they are a family owned business that actually fish. They are good people and will not only want to make the customer happy, but also make the product better.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #30
Cbad Mike

I think Yakin sells glowless glow sticks if anyone is interested.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote