Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #661
Chuck D

H-Rail Addition to the Outback

So, I got my new sweet Limited Edition from Andy, would never get a yak from anyone else Decided that I would like to add some rails because I was sure they would be useful for many purposes (even if not for what I originally intended). So I ordered 2 small rails 9" I think. At first I thought for sure to hold my FF Head unit and then a couple rod holders would be nice (I always add scottys and they work) got a couple railblazas I can add to the mix from my adventure. Installed on the left, fits perfect over the cup holder. On the right it just does't match up with the Outback design so machined an inch or so off and fit like a charm. Once I drilled the 4 holes, gooped it up, added the washers and clamped down. Here are some pros and cons that I found after a month of use, overall I love the addition to the yak!

Pros:
hold to control yak when launching/landing in surf
use to help lift yak over stairs at LJ Launch
holds my FF solid with a ram ball/hrail attachment and lets me adjust at many levels
can attach you pliers or any gear to it that you do not want floating/sinking away
squid lights tie off to it
hold my beer can in more solid then before
many h-rail attachments, want to attach go pro in the future...
can hold for stability
can use to help tie knots and get good tension
fits on my jrack the same as before
place to wrap a lock around
watertight

Cons
wanted rod holders and H-Rail attachment would move under pull of trolling baits and did not feel comfortable if hit with a bit strike (therefore, no rod holders for me, ended up adding scotties in the front like I always have)
Beer bottles don't fit too well anymore on the L side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4297.jpg (53.3 KB, 982 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4298.jpg (60.0 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4299.jpg (68.0 KB, 995 views)
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #662
Iceman
Administrator

Nice Chuck! I just set up an Outback with the rails and an H Bar that attaches to the rails.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #663
ctfphoto

Chuck, thank you. I am still on the fence on these. Did you get a sail for your outback?
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #664
Chuck D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Chuck, thank you. I am still on the fence on these. Did you get a sail for your outback?
No problem CTF. No, I don't think I will get a sail for the outback since I am lucky enough to have an island adventure. I am not sure that I would be too impressed with a sail on the outback, it would be too much clutter for me in that vessel. I am sure it would work to get you out longer range tho...
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #665
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
No problem CTF. No, I don't think I will get a sail for the outback since I am lucky enough to have an island adventure. I am not sure that I would be too impressed with a sail on the outback, it would be too much clutter for me in that vessel. I am sure it would work to get you out longer range tho...
I figured as much as you do have the island. Outback sail probably way to slow for you

After seeing you on your island looking for tuna, you really got me thinking. I have "Island Fever" now. Most likely wanting a tandem. My buddy swears he is buying one so I get to go along for the ride. I need to figure out how to talk the wife into getting one for this summer.

And I second you about buying from Andy, he is the go to guy.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #666
EastLosYaker

Damn Chuck, you store the new outback in the living room? Talk about tlc.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #667
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Compact size floating sabiki hook removers from wine corks and coat hanger wire.

There's a small "L" bend at the butt end and a dab of epoxy on the wire at both ends of the cork. Small enough to conveniently stow in my Outback tackle bucket. Long enough to be comfortable in the hand.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #668
jorluivil

Great idea but you should have made the tag end of the loop longer. Because the tag end of the loop is small the sabiki line will slide off of the loop when you try to shake the bait off.

Other than that it looks pretty cool.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #669
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Compact size floating sabiki hook removers from wine corks and coat hanger wire.
So, how would these actually work? If you don't mind a somewhat painstaking description...I can't imagine it, try as as I might.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #670
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Great idea but you should have made the tag end of the loop longer. Because the tag end of the loop is small the sabiki line will slide off of the loop when you try to shake the bait off.

Other than that it looks pretty cool.
Good point. I have not tried these yet. I will re-bend one and report back. Thanks.

Is the cork hook supposed to engage the sabiki line, or the sabiki hook?

My purpose is for making bait with mackerel, etc., ... not catch & release, and not bigger fish.

---

I think you might be suggesting this?

... not this:

But seriously, I get as much pleasure from drinking the wine as I do making something out of the corks

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-07-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #671
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
So, how would these actually work? If you don't mind a somewhat painstaking description...I can't imagine it, try as as I might.
Since I am a relative noob, I am extrapolating information and fiddling at my work bench. It's better for jorluivil or one of the other pros to answer.

There are a few different kinds of de-hooking tools. My purpose is when I bring up a cluster of mackerels, getting them into the bait tank easily with as little damage or trauma as possible, while avoiding re-snagging other prickly sabiki hooks flapping around in the melee.

The purpose of this kind of de-hooking tool is when you pull the cork hook the opposite direction of the sabiki hook, it turns the point of the sabiki hook downward as you lift, and the fish falls off by it's own weight. It's allegedly much faster, easier and less damaging than fiddling with fingers or a needle-nose pliers when you have multiple slimy fish bouncing around in your lap.

My thought was to keep it small and simple so it's not in the way. The Hobie Outback tackle bucket under the hatch is not very big. I don't like loose clutter rolling around when I'm fishing.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-07-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #672
GregAndrew

The longer/wider tag end is for speed of use and keeping the line in place. The wide end makes it quicker to wrap around your sabiki line. The longer tag end helps keep the sabiki line inside while your bait wiggles.

You wrap the tag end around your sabiki just above the bait. Then you slide it down the sabiki while pulling back and up on the dehooker and pushing forward and down on the sabiki line above (you can substitute left and right for back and forward). The hook will wrap the end of the tool, and continuing to straight up and down will point the hook down. Then a simple jerk motion, with both hands in the same downward direction, should dislodge the barb and free the bait. It should take less than a couple seconds per bait, which can be crucial on the days where you only have it under you a couple times for a short time.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #673
pingpangdang

chopstick sabiki bait remover and dehooker

I use wooden chopsticks you get from panda express etc. I don't crack them apart so they are stronger.

Once the stick slides down into the inner bend of the hook I hold the mac over the livewell and turn the hook upside down with the chopstick and the fish slides off.

I also debarb the sabiki hooks so the bait slides off quicker and I can hook anything in my yak w/ no worry(no problem getting them to the yak as the bait stays on the hook really well even debarbed)

I can also use the chopstick to push down on a hook that was swallowed near the gut to dehook w/ ease.

For the sabiki itself besides debarbing I use only half...so only 3 sabiki.

For the weight I use a cheap blue and silver jig (something at walmart)...it's heavy and gets the sabiki down fast and it also in my mind triggers the bait to bite the sabiki because it looks like a bigger fish is chasing it's prey.

I also have a hook on the end of the jig and usually get bigger bait on that one.

No problem w/ tangles most of the time as the jig is heavy enough to keep everyone in line.

Free and they float...and if you brought your bento box you don't have to eat w/ your hands!

With the hooks debarbed sometimes I just use my hands...just grab the snell of the hook and turn the hook upside down and they slide right off.

Last edited by pingpangdang; 03-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #674
CKallday71

Hand Gaff with customer Kydex Holster

So I bought a really cool Black Watch FHG Hand Gaff. It's aluminum with a stainless steel ridiculously sharp and easily replaceable tip. After that I had my buddy that makes custom pistol holsters from Kydex make me a holster for it that I can leash on to my kayak or strap to my belt or PFD with a D-ring or a plastic buckle. These are pictures of the unfinished product. The holster is in the prototype development stages right now. I'll post finished pictures when it's done. The hand gaff is going to get some para-cord on the handle too for better grip when wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-03-04-20-05-50.jpg (21.3 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg PART951457745898477950311161724.jpg (44.7 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg PART_1457747926668_.IMG_20160311_175753.jpg (41.9 KB, 695 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #675
619-SWIM-DOG

New crate for Baja

I realized I didn't have a crate/rod holder for Baja. Well took care of that. It's big for plenty of storage.
Depth 12″ Width 22″ Height 10″
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.7 KB, 665 views)

Last edited by 619-SWIM-DOG; 03-17-2016 at 07:58 AM.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #676
farreola

And you can buy a lid for it. Clips on with side clips. I have the toolbox set and had seen this box, never thought of converting it into what you did. Great idea.
farreola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #677
CKallday71

Hand Gaff

Finally got my hand gaff and custom sheeth/holster back.
This thing is light, strong and just crazy looking!

My buddy that made the kydex sheeth does customd holsters, and just about anything you can dream up out of kydex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160409_212025.jpg (47.5 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg 20160409_212059.jpg (49.6 KB, 542 views)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #678
Str8shooter
Junior

Where to put my kayak?

My Hobie PA14 garage lift . . . because its one heavy yak, and available storage space is always a premium.

https://youtu.be/pDucTjFJAMA

https://youtu.be/W_M0uwYlYOs
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #679
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shooter View Post
My Hobie PA14 garage lift . . . because its one heavy yak, and available storage space is always a premium.

Very cool
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #680
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8shooter View Post

Dude, that is a pro rig right there

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas