Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
PapaDave

I'm not real sure how much this regulation will effect most anglers. Last time I caught a blue fin was on an 8 day trip two years ago.

Personally, for one trip, two blue fins are plenty for me.

I do think that if we are to be regulated that restrictively that the commercial interests should be also.

Hey! Who has the popcorn!?!?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I'm not real sure how much this regulation will effect most anglers. Last time I caught a blue fin was on an 8 day trip two years ago.

Personally, for one trip, two blue fins are plenty for me.

I do think that if we are to be regulated that restrictively that the commercial interests should be also.

Hey! Who has the popcorn!?!?
Probably right, this regulation isn't going to effect most anglers because how often does an angler catch 2 bluefin a trip let alone 10 in US waters...? The truth is not often. To me it seems....(I could totally be wrong about this, but I don't think so)...but they're trying to fix something that isn't a problem to begin with. Why?

In my opinion, the bluefin out there are going to get caught no matter what we do. If we regulate the sportfishery and reduce the limit to two, the fish we don't keep or catch will eventually be caught by the commercials. I'm all for protecting the fishery but let's do it in a way that will have some real impact. Here's a suggestion....how about the commercials be limited to a hook and line fishery like the guys on the east coast like we see on wicked tuna. Lets do away with all the seiners, how about that? Now that would make a huge impact.

Pass the popcorn please!
Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Lipripper92592

Seems reasonable to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Probably right, this regulation isn't going to effect most anglers because how often does an angler catch 2 bluefin a trip let alone 10 in US waters...? The truth is not often. To me it seems....(I could totally be wrong about this, but I don't think so)...but they're trying to fix something that isn't a problem to begin with. Why?

In my opinion, the bluefin out there are going to get caught no matter what we do. If we regulate the sportfishery and reduce the limit to two, the fish we don't keep or catch will eventually be caught by the commercials. I'm all for protecting the fishery but let's do it in a way that will have some real impact. Here's a suggestion....how about the commercials be limited to a hook and line fishery like the guys on the east coast like we see on wicked tuna. Lets do away with all the seiners, how about that? Now that would make a huge impact.

Pass the popcorn please!
Extra butter on mine please

Opinion approved! Sounds like a logical reaction to a diminishing BFT biomass. Same standards for all involved with a "harvest". The purse seiners seem to have the largest impact on both the Atlantic and Pacific BFT fisheries. According to NOAA and a few other sources, smaller BFT seem to be the majority of the west coast catches. Maybe a size limit could improve the fishery, but I would want to review a study that could scientifically support such measures.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Like ^^^^

FYI Tony, I literally plagiarized this word for word as part of my comment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF Comment.JPG (41.7 KB, 45 views)